Falling Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would that be north out of town? I didn't know they had that nice of timber there. Is that a Potlatch mill in town? I spoke to a group of guys back in 1991 at that mill. All contract loggers and cutters.

Potlatch shut down the mill they had in HQ, but they still have one in Lewiston...about 40 mi away. I beleive the job is West of town....####, now I have to break out the map.....See what you did to me? lol

Is the motel that seemed to be run by hippies still there across from the mill?

It was my favorite motel on the drive to exile. They had real recliners and free soap for the washing machine.

I recently found this stump cut by someone here on AS:msp_ohmy:
Steve

Well, that's just the Swedish-Norifinger-Articulating-Persuader, or S.N.A.P for short. . . Everybody knows that one. :msp_rolleyes:
:msp_biggrin:

184505d1305776622-bad-stump-jpg

Just out of curiosity (I know you experienced guys prefer not to give advice via the internet) how would you go about setting up a tree such as the one above? Granted, you weren't there to see the entire scenario but it appears to have had a pretty substantial head-lean...

I've seen where people will bore the back-cut first to establish a hinge. But on a tree that is too small to bore without just wiping out the whole back side simultaneously it doesn't seem that it would be an effective method.

I know any advice given should be taken with a grain of salt as there is no single equation to be applied for all head-leaning trees, I just enjoy the physics (so-to-speak) behind some of the strategies used.

Just out of curiosity (I know you experienced guys prefer not to give advice via the internet) how would you go about setting up a tree such as the one above? Granted, you weren't there to see the entire scenario but it appears to have had a pretty substantial head-lean...

I've seen where people will bore the back-cut first to establish a hinge. But on a tree that is too small to bore without just wiping out the whole back side simultaneously it doesn't seem that it would be an effective method.

I know any advice given should be taken with a grain of salt as there is no single equation to be applied for all head-leaning trees, I just enjoy the physics (so-to-speak) behind some of the strategies used.

There are several ways to set up a small tree with lots of head-lean. A deeper face, plunge the heart all the way thru, leaving side hold-wood. Or a guy could Coose Bay the thing. Or a guy could set his face, and do a staggered back-cut (which would relieve pressure), essentially leaving a "post" on the preferred side.

There are other techniques as well. . . All of them better than S.N.A.P. :D

Potlatch shut down the mill they had in HQ, but they still have one in Lewiston...about 40 mi away. I beleive the job is West of town....####, now I have to break out the map.....See what you did to me? lol

Sorry about that. It's just what I do.
Is the elk hunting on unit 10-12 still tits up? I've heard the elk are being demolished by the wolves over in that country. I've hunted Coolwater ridge since 1972. The last time I was there in 2005 we never even saw an elk.

yes. lots of ways, all of them suck. Face it, backcut and pull out before it has time to sit back on you, and smash over with another POS. guaranteed safe, from behind a keyboard

I recently found this stump cut by someone here on AS:msp_ohmy:
Steve

I think i know the kid that took that pic. . . the tree (+/- 20") rolled out of another when it fell causing it to tear like that.. . .also this was at a training class for forestry students most whom for the most part have very little experience working in the woods and that will probably never be "loggers" but will be "foresters" .. . . good example of knowing the whole story i guess.

I think i know the kid that took that pic. . . the tree (+/- 20") rolled out of another when it fell causing it to tear like that.. . .also this was at a training class for forestry students most whom for the most part have very little experience working in the woods and that will probably never be "loggers" but will be "foresters" .. . . good example of knowing the whole story i guess.

I guess :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back