Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah...me either. After all these years and all those snags I found out that I must have been doing it wrong. I never used a "sloping back cut with properly placed wedges". Ever. It's just a damn miracle that I've survived this long and people keep hiring me. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have some real nasty snags to cut pretty soon so maybe I could get Hbrn to draw me a diagram of his special falling technique. Better still, maybe he could come down and fall them for me. I'll sub the contract out to him...just as soon as he gives me some references, proof of insurance, and can show us he has at least one running saw.

It's pretty steep ground, and brushy, with a few snakes and some poison oak. The snags are along an aquaduct so you have to be a little careful of that. But it only takes an hour to pack in...downhill. Packing out is a little longer. I'm sure Hbrn would do just fine.

i want film of that. you know for educational porpeses. damn can't spell.

You guys are unbelievable bashing something you know nothing about and never have tried or are wiling to try. This just one of the many cutting styles used to fall trees.

You guys are unbelievable bashing something you know nothing about and never have tried or are wiling to try. This just one of the many cutting styles used to fall trees.

We dont need to hear anymore of yours....especially for the young bucks on here reading your crap....your gonna get somebody killed...i told you once already...take a hike....get on outta here kid....either that or open your ears and eyes and shut your mouth....learn something sometime....

people do what works, just because it is a "technique" does not mean it is worth the idiot who thought it up. . .

Not too much of a technique either....IMO...well i actually believe that is a fact!

people do what works, just because it is a "technique" does not mean it is worth the idiot who thought it up. . .

You just said what I have been try to saying. Not all tree falling styles work. The American tree falling style would be laughed at in Europe, so use what ever you know works. This one job was a really bad nightmare to do limited space and a mushy tree, if I had a man lift to use I would have blocked it down.

You know how when ya feed a pigeon it just keeps getting closer and closer to ya wanting more food, and your just so intent on seeing how close you can get the pigeon to you that you do not realize that it is crapping all over your porch.........Of course you realize that if you quit feeding the fetching pigeon that it will quit coming around, therefore eliminating your poopy porch problem............

Hey, dummy, I just offered you a snag falling job. See, some people believe that you should have a chance to show us what you can really do. Just send me some references from actual loggers that you've worked for as a faller and proof of insurance and I'll give you an opportunity to put all the bashing to rest.

I'll make sure everything gets filmed, too. So there won't be any doubts.

Edit...the references have to be from actual loggers or logging companies, under their letterhead. The proof of insurance has to be under the carrier's letterhead. I need these things to satisfy my own liability carrier.

So...how 'bout it?

Last edited:
This kinda of close minded comment that proves to me some people are wiling to learn anything new.

Was this a compliment?....In one sentance you did a 360 on what your inital intention was supposed to be....and thus proves my point.

Hey, dummy, I just offered you a snag falling job. See, some people believe that you should have a chance to show us what you can really do. Just send me some references from actual loggers that you've worked for as a faller and proof of insurance and I'll give you an opportunity to put all the bashing to rest.

Edit...the references have to be from actual loggers or logging companies, under their letterhead. The proof of insurance has to be under the carrier's letterhead. I need these things to satisfy my own liability carrier.

So...how 'bout it?

Your gonna have to follow behind him and cut all of his high slanted stumps off...lol

So...how 'bout it?

Your off your rocker, How about we do this old schoo,l axe chop a 2' DBH and use the tree to drive a stake in the ground , the fastest most accurate tree is the winner.

You know how when ya feed a pigeon it just keeps getting closer and closer to ya wanting more food, and your just so intent on seeing how close you can get the pigeon to you that you do not realize that it is crapping all over your porch.........Of course you realize that if you quit feeding the fetching pigeon that it will quit coming around, therefore eliminating your poopy porch problem............

I dunno if he'll leave or not, it might be a little closer to feeding squirrels, at first when you feed him it's kindof funny and cute cause he acts like a zany idiot when you give him attention, however when you quit feeding him he still hangs around, craps on your porch, and tears the stuffing out of your lawn furniture

You just said what I have been try to saying. Not all tree falling styles work. The American tree falling style would be laughed at in Europe, so use what ever you know works. This one job was a really bad nightmare to do limited space and a mushy tree, if I had a man lift to use I would have blocked it down.

Oh no, no I meant that people like Gologit or 2dogs along with many others would know all about your sloping technique if it where indeed worth 2 ####s. but its not. I wish I could watch you do that on a "rotten snag", to see that sad look on your face as you you try and pound a wedge in only to have it push wood out of the stump as the tree jarred slightly, hell Id probably laugh if you got hit by a falling stick. . .

Wise post greenwedge...but i bit my tounge long enough its starting to pain me...hes about to go on ignored list. I would say what i would do if i had to put up with him or a guy like him all day....but i wont.....but you prolly already know anyway.

Latest posts

Back