Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:ices_rofl: If we were working together and I said run and you said "huh?" you'd be talking to yourself. The only time you should need to be told to run is the first time. After that you'll figure it out. :)
Took me 2 times. But I dont question anybody anymore. First time was a red wasp to the middle of my back. I was still standing there watching my boss run through the scrap yard. Second was the top of a tree... I was supposed to pull the rope, and run. Well I didnt quite run far enough :)

Snags and blow-outs are bad news.
Gotta Look up. gotta cut looking up.
second you take your eyes off it, will be your last second standing
- or breathing.
That is the truth, blink wrong and your being zipped into a body bag.

who the h, is picking up this bar tab tonite. drinks on the house
That is the truth, blink wrong and your being zipped into a body bag

no wedging that kind of stuff.

jacking prolly wouldn't a been an option either. don't know.

i'm hungry. think i'll shoot some pigeons for dinner...

Nope not a jack. Those are for big heavy trees. (Says the guy who doesn't own one and has only used jacks a handful of times.) Best to use a throwline and a rope or an excavator or dozer. Equipment needs to be used VERY gently around rotten trees.

That is the truth, blink wrong and your being zipped into a body bag

I've Read this whole thread thru from start to end, Hillbilly i don't know you from any-other threads but you have made a total a$$ out of yourself in this one. you have been asked and told many times to shut up and learn something before you get someone injured or killed. there is no sense trying to continue the argument since in almost everyone's minds you have lost your credibility, please pack up what ever cockyness you call pride and move on, no one wants to read anything you have to say here GOOD BYE.

Nope not a jack. Those are for big heavy trees. (Says the guy who doesn't own one and has only used jacks a handful of times.) Best to use a throwline and a rope or an excavator or dozer. Equipment needs to be used VERY gently around rotten trees.

Yup. Excavator - touch it the wrong way and...

Blasting also gotta be really tricky on mushy, rotten snags

we're all goin be needing meds before this thread goes much further.
i like shoting pigeons, though. even at night.

I may be wrong but looking at two of your posts...are you using 6" wedges on 40" trees? A 40" tree may not be huge but it is due alot of respect.

Well, i was kinda thinking the same thing, but
thought someone else would ask about that first.

geez, didn't mean to piss RandyMac off. I'll buy him one at the bar and all will be good

I'm a firewood cutter and when necessary take down trees of danger to property i unfortunately do not get to cut trees bigger than 36-40"very often. i carry (2) 5.5 in wedges and (2) 7.5in wedges they work well for me due to the fact of the small diameter of tree all my wedges are of the stihl brand due to availability and price. if i get into a heavy leaner around houses or property i tend to give it a decent pull with a rope and wedge as much as needed to fall in the correct location. in my neck of the woods roping them tends to give that little extra security needed.

educational porpoises...? Now that is taking this thread for a twist. Now you're gonna have Greenpeace following us around. Isn't Earth First bad enough. Oh you hippies.

Nah, sure don't want Greenpeace hippies infiltrating AS.

things are bad enough as they are. how the heck do you get gum off boot soles? it just sticks there forever. will whiskey work di i ever tell ya about the time i hiked down into a snake infested canyon to clear cut 60 acres of silver maple in one day single handed. no wedges either. no saws. just an old dull axe....?
Well, let me tell ya. when eyes got done, i hiked back out and walked 30 miles in 100 degree heat to an upscale micro-brewery and tried to figure out how a Humboldt and a slanted back cut could work with wedges. Still haven't figured that one out. Yet. but i plan on porting one of them mini-macs. soon. soon as i get me some good used files.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but looking at two of your posts...are you using 6" wedges on 40" trees? A 40" tree may not be huge but it is due alot of respect.

The big mothers get the 12" wedges and a few of the small ones for insurance.

Sometimes you have to use what ever is available to get the job done. When a job go's FUBAR you do wht ever it take to sole it.

Personally, walking away from dangerous trees never got me into trouble.
Flag it and get someone else to have a look.

anywys, back at the bar....
well, after a nice cold one, got to wondering about getting a work saw to replace that old axe. after thinking about it for a while it seems like a ported work saw would go through that slanted back cut alots faster and would keep the butt from going backwards.
yup. seems that'll work real slick. now just gotta figure out that porting thing. Whoops! time to get cleaned up and on my way. Tomorrows a school day!!Well, got up late and missed the bus. Prolly missed a couple of buses...Now I gotta walk to school in those 50 yo boots..

Last edited:
I have a healthy respect for big tree. Watched a buddy this winter fall a frozen pondo and the SOBing tree barber chaired and nearly took out the cabin nearby. My buddy is in his 70's and is a retired faller and knows what he was doing, he was shock up as well as the property owner:msp_ohmy: I did not care to see the tree barber chair it brought back bad memories. I was falling timber with my old boss and he did something wrong and the tree we were falling barber chaired on us, he was hit and had both legs fractured in multiple places, I only missed being killed by the slab because of my position off to the side away from my boss:frown:

Last edited:
Thanks Randy for the links, I had understood it correctly , more quetions to follow when I can read through again sorting out the good from the bad i.e. HBRN

Back