Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a spring chicken, but not ready for a pine box, but packing around that many makes me tired just reading the words. :msp_confused:

What's your packing rig look like ?
It is a box in the tool box of my work truck. I grab what i figure I need and put them in my back pants pocket. There is times I am to far from the truck and I put a few extra wedges in a wedge pouch. The wedge pouch is getting kinda wore out, will have to make a new one.

What are you talking about? Guys where you live don't use wedge pouches, the wedges fall out to easy making it difficult for a guy to make enough money.
:msp_tongue:
Don't you know anything??

Wedges

One reason I carry extras is if I run into some one who needs a wedge. I have extra wedges for doing home renovation work. I hardly ever need more the 3 6" wedges and 2 10" wedges to drop the trees in my area. Had one green swollen butt last year that took eight 10" wedges to tip it over:dizzy:Wished I had put a jack in, my boss told me not to do it :msp_mad: He was sorry he told me no jack, after 20 minutes of him having to pound on the wedges to tip the tree :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah I carry a 7"er too, plus 2 10"s and a 12". That little guy sure can lift in the right situations. These boys got roughed up on the last job I was on.

attachment.php

View attachment 188642

On toothed wedges- I've only ever used the oregon ones and they hold fast in frozen wood, but forget about stacking them. They will not drive straight or at least I never could get them too. Also sometimes a little sawdust on smooth wedges will help them hold better when stacking.

Yep sawdust comes in handy at times. I almost always add sawdust when I stack wedges.

HBRN for a guy that had to stop full time felling because of bad white finger only to become an EMT I'm astounded that you now have a boss to fell for !! Being a waffler is only going to work if you keep track of your untruths !

HBRN for a guy that had to stop full time felling because of bad white finger only to become an EMT I'm astounded that you now have a boss to fell for !! Being a waffler is only going to work if you keep track of your untruths !
My boss is my Dad, he needs some one with the right tools and knowledge to be around for the bigger trees. I was medic when I was still doing timber work, my neck injury is what stoped both of those jobs. My Dad can handle the small trees, but refuses to risk his life with any tree bigger then 28" DBH. I think your the waffler for twisting the truth. I am only doing limited timber falling, mostly to help my Dad and a couple local ranchers.

One of the best things to use to keep wedges from backing out is to throw in a little mineral soil. Not the duff from the forest floor but good, gritty dirt. Then, if you stack them at an angle they hardly ever back out, even in frozen wood. If you stack them at an angle they seem to lift easier and you don't have to swing the axe as hard to get them to lift. The big thing is to get the lower wedge in for a solid plate and the top wedge directly above to that the shock is striking directly up the tree and down through the stump. An angled backcut makes for some hard wedging. The forces should be directly up the tree and down to the stump.
Someone had mentioned they don't throw away wedges till they're 3" long. Tried that once. It backed out of the cut just as hard as I tried to drive it in. Hit me right alongside the nose and dropped me like I'd been pollaxed. I was trying to cut on the cheap. I found out it was a little more expensive than I thought. When those wedges get cut down on the "sharp" end they either need to be rasped or taken down by some means or thrown away.

My boss is my Dad, he needs some one with the right tools and knowledge to be around for the bigger trees. I was medic when I was still doing timber work, my neck injury is what stoped both of those jobs. My Dad can handle the small trees, but refuses to risk his life with any tree bigger then 28" DBH. I think your the waffler for twisting the truth. I am only doing limited timber falling, mostly to help my Dad and a couple local ranchers.

:monkey:.....something doesnt seem right here... So...let me get this straight if i can...anyway....you are a kid helping his dad fall a couple trees and you already have whitefinger?...you fall a couple trees and use a slanted backcut and your a pro...hmmm And your dad does home remodeling.....what part of that is the logging part? And i still havent seen anything that tells you have even set foot on a logging operation......you cant fool me boy...ill see right through you. Your better off just to tell the truth....if there is any......

One of the best things to use to keep wedges from backing out is to throw in a little mineral soil. Not the duff from the forest floor but good, gritty dirt. Then, if you stack them at an angle they hardly ever back out, even in frozen wood. If you stack them at an angle they seem to lift easier and you don't have to swing the axe as hard to get them to lift. The big thing is to get the lower wedge in for a solid plate and the top wedge directly above to that the shock is striking directly up the tree and down through the stump. An angled backcut makes for some hard wedging. The forces should be directly up the tree and down to the stump.
Someone had mentioned they don't throw away wedges till they're 3" long. Tried that once. It backed out of the cut just as hard as I tried to drive it in. Hit me right alongside the nose and dropped me like I'd been pollaxed. I was trying to cut on the cheap. I found out it was a little more expensive than I thought. When those wedges get cut down on the "sharp" end they either need to be rasped or taken down by some means or thrown away.

Yup....yea or you hit them and they go out through the woods like they where shot out of a 12ga....let them hit you in the shins a couple times...you'll learn....they will drop you like right now...i dont care how big you are. If they get ripped up, get new ones..they are cheap enough....and your day goes soo much easier with good wedges.

:monkey:.....something doesnt seem right here... So...let me get this straight if i can...anyway....you are a kid helping his dad fall a couple trees and you already have whitefinger?...you fall a couple trees and use a slanted backcut and your a pro...hmmm And your dad does home remodeling.....what part of that is the logging part? And i still havent seen anything that tells you have even set foot on a logging operation......you cant fool me boy...ill see right through you. Your better off just to tell the truth....if there is any......

You need to learn to read the post before jumping on someome:msp_thumbup: I got white knuckle in my teens running wore out garbage picked saws with little to no AV system. I do home remodeling to make ends meet. And you do not know the conditions I was faced with to be force to use a sloping back cut, I did not want to have to pay the power company to repair main lines for one. My Dad was forced to hire me for saw work after my BIL cut his foot open, the medical bill was $4000 bucks:msp_mad: Never try to fall a large tree with out wedges, you will risk a tree going wrong.

You need to learn to read the post before jumping on someome:msp_thumbup: I got white knuckle in my teens running wore out garbage picked saws with little to no AV system. I do home remodeling to make ends meet. And you do not know the conditions I was faced with to be force to use a sloping back cut, I did not want to have to pay the power company to repair main lines for one. My Dad was forced to hire me for saw work after my BIL cut his foot open, the medical bill was $4000 bucks:msp_mad: Never try to fall a large tree with out wedges, you will risk a tree going wrong.

I dont know how many monsters i have cut without even so much as needing a wedge in my pocket....its all about if you know how to cut.......oh wait i forgot....you said we only cut peckerpoles out here....nevermind then....keep beating um......:msp_rolleyes::monkey:

I agree and i fall both....but how do you know this?.....oh...ur concrete hard fir..nevermind

The reason I know is I worked in an area with a lot of big hardwoods, We had several units silver maple that were a nightmare to fall, we are talking 088 with 60" bar big:rock:

Most days 5 were felled. The unit was in the bottom of steep draw, so getting to the job was a tough hike down to the job site. I had to cut my own way in and run the dozer to build a road to the landing site.

Latest posts

Back