Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
?
Say you are felling timber that is no bigger than 24" across the stump. What kind of wedge do you use? Seems to me that trees like that, the wedge hits the bar/chain before it ever has much effect on the tree. Just shorter wedges?

No BS answers please :)

Yup. If you're like me you'll have some wedges that you've "tickled" with the saw and they're already short. Dress them down with a horse shoer's rasp to keep the angle constant. Or...just buy shorter wedges. Or...make some of your own out of hardwood.

So press agaisnt the trunk with my skull bucket? (head lean)

msp_rolleyes.gif

Nope. Just pressing against the tree won't work. Try banging your head repeatedly against it. :bang::bang::bang::bang: This will give your Skull Bucket that well used look that loggers cherish. :biggrin:

Yup. If you're like me you'll have some wedges that you've "tickled" with the saw and they're already short. Dress them down with a horse shoer's rasp to keep the angle constant. Or...just buy shorter wedges. Or...make some of your own out of hardwood.

I always kept one of those "tickled wedges" handy as long as I could get it started in a back cut...most times the first inch or so are not even used on a new sharp wedge. Wish I had a nickel for every riggen fit I ever threw when I tickle a brand new wedge! Only one I never tickled was when I used the Mag driver...kinda funny how that works!

Nope. Just pressing against the tree won't work. Try banging your head repeatedly against it. :bang::bang::bang::bang: This will give your Skull Bucket that well used look that loggers cherish. :biggrin:

Hey! You be nice to the former Cute Woodland Animals Themed hat! Instead, I suggest you do it the Forest Service video method and throw rocks at the tree.

The bummer thing, from a moderation perspective, is that he's not *technically* breaking any rules by being a pest and a jackass. He's not threatening anybody, he occasionally posts something that would be valid if it weren't copy-pasted from somewhere else, and has asked the occasional valid question. It's not fair to lay down the ban-hammer on somebody who is merely annoying. I've sent him a PM or two to the effect of "come on, man, shape up, these folks aren't idiots" but it seems to fall on deaf ears. I guess all we can do is wait for him to actually violate a rule of some consequence because so far he's annoying but harmless.

I have done the same my friend. :dizzy:

Falls on deaf ears... typical keyboard cowboy.

Gary

All this "hating" you speak of is self inflicted. I have explained this to you numerous times. Which, by no suprise, you choose to ignore. You either have 9 different people inside your head... or you are the ultimate internet froum troll. A lot of people are growing very weary of the BS that comes with your presence in almost every thread you post in or start.

...I might add... I'm being nice here.

Gary

HBRN red repped me. But I liked it. :)

I've arrived at the conclusion that the poor guy is simply...well, simple. Perhaps a few fries short of a happy meal? That is still no excuse for posting on things that he knows little or nothing about then getting mad and defensive when called on it.

I come here for a little back and forth with guys that know their stuff hoping to learn a little about the things they discuss. I also like being around men that know what it feels like to work hard for what they have. When the ribbing starts, I like that too, my skin is thick and I hope everyone else's is too. So HBRN stick a wedge in your mouth and uncork your ears. Hell man you might even make some friends. :D

I'm gonna send you a large shot of green rep to show you how it's done. :laugh:

I'm the lucky bstard because I don't read English too well. Everything goes with me like a 3 $ bill.

Although what worries me is HILLYBILLY's writing about his future mother-in-law. I don't know your cultural context across the pond, but to me that kind of talk gives just creeps.

I come here for a little back and forth with guys that know their stuff hoping to learn a little about the things they discuss. I also like being around men that know what it feels like to work hard for what they have. When the ribbing starts, I like that too, my skin is thick and I hope everyone else's is too. So HBRN stick a wedge in your mouth and uncork your ears. Hell man you might even make some friends. :D

I have done my fair share of fallin'... on crews and on my own as a hired gun... But humility speaks volumes. There are cats on here with waaaayyyyyy more experience than I have. They have forgotten more than I'll ever know.

One of the best pieces of advice the ol' sawbuck I worked with back in the day told me. His name was "Buck" Thomas... Rest his poor trodden soul... :) He says to me "Rook', never be scared to ask. Sure you'll get poked at... but you'll be smarter. Better yet... you won't be dead."

Gary

Although not up to the godly fallers caste("Truckdrivers with chainsaws"--Hooktender Keith):) I like what I heard another hooktender tell his young pimp (helper). The hooktender had to go with me to pick out more tail trees. So, he left the young pimp to continue rigging up a tree, with this order, "If you have any questions, don't do it."

I tickled a few metal wedges a while back :) What a day to start out a day.

Tripped over this photograph looking for something else. Seems like when your looking for something the harder it is to find it.

Very interesting set of wedges and sledges. Might have to zoom in to see the backcut on the left side.

e30256b.jpg

Full caption and source credit.

Courtesy of Oregon State Library.

I always kept one of those "tickled wedges" handy as long as I could get it started in a back cut...most times the first inch or so are not even used on a new sharp wedge. Wish I had a nickel for every riggen fit I ever threw when I tickle a brand new wedge! Only one I never tickled was when I used the Mag driver...kinda funny how that works!

Yup. Ever notice how you can kind of "feel" the wood when you're cutting, especially when you're backing one up and you're close to being sawed up? Or when you're bucking one that might be a runaway but you can feel when to gas it and when to let it go? You just know how it's supposed to feel. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.

Why then can't we tell when we're into our wedges until the big orange noodles start falling all over our boots? I never have figured that one out.

Yep Bob, that was the story of my ROW day today. Lol. Being irritated sure seems to suck those shiny new wedges right into that chain. - Sam

Yup. Ever notice how you can kind of "feel" the wood when you're cutting, especially when you're backing one up and you're close to being sawed up? Or when you're bucking one that might be a runaway but you can feel when to gas it and when to let it go? You just know how it's supposed to feel. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.

Why then can't we tell when we're into our wedges until the big orange noodles start falling all over our boots? I never have figured that one out.

Me neither pard...but I still always threw a riggin fit when I did it, and just figured...there's another blunt wedge for the tight backcuts :)

Latest posts

Back