Falling wedges. What's good, what's not, and why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I just can't help myself. I don't think the mile ride up a rocky ass ridge hangin off the side of a 7 helped much.....that and another yarder rolling out of the shop shortly.

Work is work though, and so is a ride up the hill...even if it beats your brains out...I'll take it with a smile - Sam

Sometimes I just can't help myself. I don't think the mile ride up a rocky ass ridge hangin off the side of a 7 helped much.....that and another yarder rolling out of the shop shortly.

Work is work though, and so is a ride up the hill...even if it beats your brains out...I'll take it with a smile - Sam

Great attitude Sam! I just spent a half hour soaking in a bath the temperature of molten salt trying to get some feeling back in my hands and wrists. Still I'm grateful that there is work for me and that I am still able to do it.

Great attitude Sam! I just spent a half hour soaking in a bath the temperature of molten salt trying to get some feeling back in my hands and wrists. Still I'm grateful that there is work for me and that I am still able to do it.

I'm glad all you guys are working. And, when I finally retire, you just keep on working. I'll drive by now and then and watch. And comment. That'll be the best part. :)

Us slabbers just get the wedges that are in the big box in the middle of the aisle. Then it doesn't hurt so much.

Retirement just means different kinds of work-- Doing those "projects" that you never had time to do before.
But you can quit when the flies start biting too much, or the fish are biting, or the kayak needs exercise. Hmmmm. That last one sounds good.

Us slabbers just get the wedges that are in the big box in the middle of the aisle. Then it doesn't hurt so much.

Retirement just means different kinds of work-- Doing those "projects" that you never had time to do before.
But you can quit when the flies start biting too much, or the fish are biting, or the kayak needs exercise. Hmmmm. That last one sounds good.

My "retirement" was forced. I ended up getting sick and just couldn't go back to building. In all honesty I don't miss the work much, but I do miss the pay. :laugh:

I have been able to learn things I never would have had time to do though. Working on saws and trimmers has kept me busy for awhile now. I enjoy it too. The shop is small so heating and cooling is an easy task, and I've never had to climb a saw to work on it. That's a plus.

My "retirement" was forced. I ended up getting sick and just couldn't go back to building. In all honesty I don't miss the work much, but I do miss the pay. :laugh:

I have been able to learn things I never would have had time to do though. Working on saws and trimmers has kept me busy for awhile now. I enjoy it too. The shop is small so heating and cooling is an easy task, and I've never had to climb a saw to work on it. That's a plus.

I still don't know what my pay for retiring will be. I am getting paid, but the final amount has not been calculated. When you retire from the feds, you get a note that basically says, don't be shocked by the amount of your annuities, we are being conservative until we figure it out.

Oh well, I find myself trying to figure out how to become a part time entrepraneur...or however you spell it.
Maybe turn some cottonwoods into something.

Alls I know is my ibuprofen consumption has gone waaaaay down since retiring. I think that is a good thing?

Always thought counting Spotted Owls in the Golden Years would be fun and good pay.

..wake up late, throw a pot of coffee on, turn on the AS Channel, sit back in the recliner, make up some numbers and fill in the Owl count form, drop it in the mail and go back to the crossword puzzle. :smile:

Oh well, I find myself trying to figure out how to become a part time entrepraneur...or however you spell it.
Maybe turn some cottonwoods into something.

Alls I know is my ibuprofen consumption has gone waaaaay down since retiring. I think that is a good thing?

Got any way to source commercial quantities of huckelberries? Bet those pies I keep hearing about would make some good money!

I used to call my bottle of Ibu in the toolbox at work "(Name of company)-be-gone". My consumption went way down when I switched jobs last year.

Got any way to source commercial quantities of huckelberries? Bet those pies I keep hearing about would make some good money!

I used to call my bottle of Ibu in the toolbox at work "(Name of company)-be-gone". My consumption went way down when I switched jobs last year.

My Pet Peeve..the commercialization of huckleberries. That causes a ranting amongst us locals here. With huckleberry season, a whole group of transients moves in. There are so many that the prices paid for huckleberries is very low. You could maybe make gas money. Anyway, they move in, camp, trash places, and go strip our formerly secret berry areas. A few years ago, after a hard winter with lots of snow break, I cut my way into a special patch. It was one that was flat, and I used to take my elderly relations into to pick. They could camp there, and take lawn chairs out, and sit and pick. So, I opened the road to check and also brushed out places. I went up about now, and saw it was almost ready. I got a couple of friends, and we went up to pick. THERE WERE THREE VANLOADS OF COMMERCIAL PICKERS IN THE PATCH!:mad2:
So, instead of a leisurly evening of picking, we ended up hitting it hard because that place would be stripped after that day.

Now, I have a couple of spots that do not have good parking, I do not brush the road out, and require a hike in. One is so secret, I have been unable to find it again.

I was brought up to believe that huckleberries are special. I pick what I need, what my relatives need, and some to give away for gifts. They are not to be sold. They are a rare treat.

One of my picking friends said that he hoped what with all the blueberry farms that are springing up, that the price for huckleberries would tank and we could have our patches back.

Yeah, it is all National Forest, but we have our special places. I want to picket stores and encourage a boycott of wild huckleberry products.....:mad2:

It doesn't matter that the migrants don't make a lot of money. The huckleberry picking tides them over until the musharoomahs pop up, and that's when they make a living. I am hoping that the huckleberries get ripe at the same time the mushrooms pop up, and the commercial pickers will ignore the berries.

Rant over.

My Pet Peeve..the commercialization of huckleberries. That causes a ranting amongst us locals here. With huckleberry season, a whole group of transients moves in. There are so many that the prices paid for huckleberries is very low. You could maybe make gas money. Anyway, they move in, camp, trash places, and go strip our formerly secret berry areas. A few years ago, after a hard winter with lots of snow break, I cut my way into a special patch. It was one that was flat, and I used to take my elderly relations into to pick. They could camp there, and take lawn chairs out, and sit and pick. So, I opened the road to check and also brushed out places. I went up about now, and saw it was almost ready. I got a couple of friends, and we went up to pick. THERE WERE THREE VANLOADS OF COMMERCIAL PICKERS IN THE PATCH!:mad2:
So, instead of a leisurly evening of picking, we ended up hitting it hard because that place would be stripped after that day.

Now, I have a couple of spots that do not have good parking, I do not brush the road out, and require a hike in. One is so secret, I have been unable to find it again.

I was brought up to believe that huckleberries are special. I pick what I need, what my relatives need, and some to give away for gifts. They are not to be sold. They are a rare treat.

One of my picking friends said that he hoped what with all the blueberry farms that are springing up, that the price for huckleberries would tank and we could have our patches back.

Yeah, it is all National Forest, but we have our special places. I want to picket stores and encourage a boycott of wild huckleberry products.....:mad2:

It doesn't matter that the migrants don't make a lot of money. The huckleberry picking tides them over until the musharoomahs pop up, and that's when they make a living. I am hoping that the huckleberries get ripe at the same time the mushrooms pop up, and the commercial pickers will ignore the berries.

Rant over.

Same here. . . We get the foreigner pickers for shrooms and H. Berries. They usually speak no Engrish, are rude, and a lot of local folks have been threatened with knives. They are like locusts, often damaging the plants they "pick", I use the term pick lightly. . . It's more like rape.

It's gotten so bad over the years, that if you find a spot, you just stay quiet, not even telling friends or family. . . That way, the foreign raiders have to do their own damn footwork to pillage the crop.

Same here. . . We get the foreigner pickers for shrooms and H. Berries. They usually speak no Engrish, are rude, and a lot of local folks have been threatened with knives. They are like locusts, often damaging the plants they "pick", I use the term pick lightly. . . It's more like rape.

It's gotten so bad over the years, that if you find a spot, you just stay quiet, not even telling friends or family. . . That way, the foreign raiders have to do their own damn footwork to pillage the crop.

Eggarzackly. Same situation. One group was trying to terrorize a group of Indian women. They'd probably been picking for years in that area, and a recent immigrant was pinning #### pictures on their tents and patting his gun, telling them to get out. I told one of the campers to get me and I'd be glad to go up on my time off with a camera and document what was going on. But I didn't hear again.

Oh, and the vinyl tents go up in our "downtown" and trash gets blown all over. Grrrrrr. One guy would leave the tents up year round, and some of us were delighted when the heavy snow crushed the garbage attracting structures.

Downtown consists of a mini-mart, post office, restaurant, bar, grocery store, library, dentist and coffee hut.

The migrant workers are #######s.

One of them used to live right down the road, which that road intersects the one I live on... at that intersection, there is a house. An apple farmer used to live there, until the said migrant worker shot him and killed him. The farmer was walking down the road to drop off the paycheck. He made about 1/3 mile crawl home, and died in the front yard.

Migrant worker is now in prison, and probably has been prison raped several times... which is good.

I'd say go black ops on them bastards... stealthily stalking and taking out the picker parties of these migrants that really do not even belong in the US.

slowp, I am working a factory job... been doing so for the last week and a half... it isn't exactly what you call 'fun', but it certainly beats working in a sweatshop in China, and certainly beats Mexican and Chinese parts in quality.

The huckleberry pickers are legally here. They are refugees from our excursion into SE Asia. They are Hmong and Cambodians. They also pick the mushrooms.

Hispanics are the brush pickers. They are also the precommercial thinners, the tree planters and a few are on logging crews. I've had good rapport with the ones on the logging jobs. They are trying to fit in, work hard, and even speak English, or make the effort to. You can hear the hooktender Jesus, cussing in the background on a video I made. He's got that part down well.

Well, not exactly Huckleberry pie, but I have 1 bottle of Huckleberry soda from Montana left. I may have to take a road trip.

Well, not exactly Huckleberry pie, but I have 1 bottle of Huckleberry soda from Montana left. I may have to take a road trip.

It's not for everyone, but Lang Creek Brewery in Marion makes a Huckleberry beer. It's pretty dang good, and has a finish similar to a good IPA.

Oh, and "WEDGES". Coverin' mah bases. :p

The huckleberry pickers are legally here. They are refugees from our excursion into SE Asia. They are Hmong and Cambodians. They also pick the mushrooms.

Hispanics are the brush pickers. They are also the precommercial thinners, the tree planters and a few are on logging crews. I've had good rapport with the ones on the logging jobs. They are trying to fit in, work hard, and even speak English, or make the effort to. You can hear the hooktender Jesus, cussing in the background on a video I made. He's got that part down well.

I stand corrected...

Now those that are rude, inconsiderate, and improper... and somehow legal... should be taken care of. IMHO.

When you said "transients" I thought "migrants" and proceeded to direct a post on them...

Some don't drive worth a ####, a few will not speak any engrish, and many probably are illegal aliens...

Anyhow... where were we? Huckleberry pie? How'd that go? :popcorn:

I've seen and heard everything you're talking about, it pisses me off to no end, all I can say is this: if one of those bastards comes near me or mine with a knife when we're up in the Northfork looking for some berries for Huck. Dessert then I'd have to say that they just brought a knife to a gunfight. The law states that if someone is brandishing a knife towards you and is within 20 feet, it's go time

We got plenty of huckleberries in Louisiana but no migrants coming through picking them.Ya'll must not know how to handle transients up there.

Latest posts

Back