Fast Tach Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine wont read unless the arrow is pointed toward the plug. You can even have a good reading and spin the tach 90* and it will change. Im pretty sure the arrow is on there for a reason.:)

Cantdog,
the direction should not matter. I had one that would not read at all. I sent it back. Kyle sent me out another one no questions, even sent a UPS sticker for the box to send the other one back in-excellent service BTW. My new one seems to read too fast and the numbers are hard to "stabilize". Watching this thread for the holy grail of enlightenment fast tach style.

That sounds like mine...though mine will read went it decides to. Just is not reliable .. it'll read and then not read...the other two I've used the direction didn't matter either worked fine...just held it in my hand while holding the front handle. Perhaps I'll give it another try tomorrow and if it doesn't respond better I'll call Kyle and see what he says.

Mine wont read unless the arrow is pointed toward the plug. You can even have a good reading and spin the tach 90* and it will change. Im pretty sure the arrow is on there for a reason.:)

Interesting,
I'll phark around with mine in the AM and see what gives. My 'ol lady would shoot me if I fired up now. Kids would never know, neighbors might not be happy ( wouldn't be the first midnight 4-stroking tuning tests though)

Interesting,
I'll phark around with mine in the AM and see what gives. My 'ol lady would shoot me if I fired up now. Kids would never know, neighbors might not be happy ( wouldn't be the first midnight 4-stroking tuning tests though)

Haha. It could just be mine too. It seemed to get a more accurate reading with the arrow pointed at the plug anyways. When I tilted it away the numbers started moving alot. I dunno though.:cheers:

Haha. It could just be mine too. It seemed to get a more accurate reading with the arrow pointed at the plug anyways. When I tilted it away the numbers started moving alot. I dunno though.:cheers:

makes sense...why would there be an arrow there pointing "out" if it didnt mean anything...then again there is a "33" on Rolling Rock beer labels that don't mean anything....hehe....maybe the arrow is a Masonic message from our long lost faller forefathers...oh never mind. we'll all know in the AM.

I have the same tach as Brad's and have had no problems with it.I just set it up for single cylinder and hold it between my thumb and finger an inch or so away from the top cover.It reads quickly but I have not tried to reset it.Ithink I will try it out tomorrow as soon as it warms up to -5 or warmer.

Hey Robin, what saw are you trying this on? I have the Tech-Tach but with the older JReds and the metal covers it won't read reliably. I have to attach the plug cord or take off the top. Seems like you have to wave it over the saw to find a signal like an old tv antenna. When you get, don't move! LOL! No issues with the newer plastic covers though.

Good luck! I like the idea of how small it is. The Tech-Tach is kind of bulky and awkward to use.

Actually, Lee I tried it on the 630 and the 61/268XP. Haven't even tried it on any of the "Old Ones" yet. AND to damn cold today to be outside fussing with chainsaws (unless cutting) probably NOT tomorrow either!!!!!LOLOL!!!!

Haha!! I hear ya on that one. High of 2F tomorrow. Nothing like walking outside and the snot freezing in your nose.

:cheers:

I just received mine last week as well, would like to ask...has anyone needed to replace the battery fairly shortly after receiving theirs?

I went out to tach the 372 today which, will bring out an older thread...but I noticed that it defaults to 360 after a while. I put it on 180 to test against the lawn tractor but it kinda jumps around then goes back to 360. It is fairly cold, around 25 deg but not sure if that would affect it.

However it refreshes fairly quickly.

I havent moved mine from 360, but since the default is 360, it may go back to that once its turned off....but I dont know that, just thinking out load.

Last edited:
I havent moved mine from 180, but since the default is 180, it may go back to that once its turned off....but I dont know that, just thinking out load.

Mine defaults to 360,
just went and fired up an 026 to check out the tach and it doesn't seem to matter if I point it at the plug or not. seems to be a little less jittery if you do though. Still refreshing awfully fast to get readings up high.

its obviously not too cold in NJ for us "tough guys" to go outside...hehe !
its like 20 on its way to 5 deg tonight. GO JETS !!!

Mine defaults to 360,
just went and fired up an 026 to check out the tach and it doesn't seem to matter if I point it at the plug or not. seems to be a little less jittery if you do though. Still refreshing awfully fast to get readings up high.

Doh, Yeah your right. Dont know why I was thinking 180. Ill fix it.

Mine defaults to 360,

HAHAHA!!! We had a high of about 10 today and heading to -15 to -20 tonight and as Lee said an expected high of 2 tomorrow....gee if it was 20 I'd be outside in my tee shirt!!!!LOLOL!!!! But seriously... I'm going to try to spend some time tomorrow playing with this thing and see if any of the suggestions improve the situation.

Can you guys can get yours to move, i'm stuck on 360? I'm not knocking the instrument, yet, but i tried with the instructions and finally gave up. I bought it for one purpose to tach saws, and it does that.
REJ2

Push the "ON" button and release, wait until the display reads "0000".

Push the "ON" button again and release, it will read "MAX" above the numbers.

After you have "MAX" displayed, press the "ON" button again but hold it down this time and when it switches to the cyl setting, keep holding the "ON" button until you see "RESET" above the cyl screen.

At this time you can release the "ON" button and press it to toggle through settings for the cylinders.

After you have "MAX" displayed, press the "ON" button again but hold it down this time and when it switches to the cyl setting, keep holding the "ON" button until you see "RESET" above the cyl screen.

At this time you can release the "ON" button and press it to toggle through settings for the cylinders.

Hey that works!..but there's a lot more settings than the 120 180 360 and 720 that my directions says.:confused:

Now you know I went and tried it, hot dang it worked. Thanks alot!! I'm writing your instructions down on my so called instructions. Thank you again for taking the time to help us. REJ2

Last edited:
Hey that works!..but there's a lot more settings than the 120 180 360 and 720 that my directions says.:confused:

Yeah the instrustions were vague at best, I can only think that the 720 setting is used on maybe the GM engines that use a DIS coil that fires on the exhaust as well.....the "waste spark" method.

The other settings from what I can gather are for aiming the tach at a coil wire, and the corresponding numbers would be the degrees of crank rotation of each firing...more cylinders the more firings, not sure but i'm looking for that info myself.

Back