Fast Tach Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just bought a Fast Tach from a site sponsor. Never owned a saw tach but have used a couple of this brand before. This one seems rather slow to aquire signal, will read once it gets going but may or may not pickup quickly. The others ones I've used seemed to aquire right from the start by holding in my left hand, while holding the running saw. This one just seems very tempremental. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?? If I've got a bummer tach I can contact the dealer and am sure they would make it right. But have no interest in bugging them if I am just being dim and not doing something correctly. Any thoughts from owners of this unit??

I kinda feel the same about mine. I just got one as well and thought it was rather slow...or maybe it just feels like it takes a while. Ive seen Brad use his in his videos and mine feels slower than his looks, but it could just be me.

Theres a couple adjustments on it, but either Im half dumb, or the directions suck.....or both maybe.lol I couldnt make heads or tales out of them.

Directions do suck. Had to call Kyle at E@E to walk me thru clearing Max RPM as the instructions as written wouldnt do it. The only function I can get to work is the only one i need thankfully. I dont know about the slow to acquire signal part, mine seems acceptable. REJ2

Directions do suck. Had to call Kyle at E@E to walk me thru clearing Max RPM as the instructions as written wouldnt do it. The only function I can get to work is the only one i need thankfully. I dont know about the slow to acquire signal part, mine seems acceptable. REJ2

Haha. Yep. About clearing the max rpms, my directions said that the tach will say ''hold''...Wrong!! I figured it out, but it dont say hold.

Mine picks up fine, just seems it takes a while to figure out what the RPMs are...and it could be me cause this is the first and only tach ive ever used.

Just started using a tach myself that I got in the mail today, but I bought the EZ TACH. I have a video of mine reading my saw here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/162386.htm#post2725216 Tach in the video was out in the cold (20-25*F) for a long time so I don't know if that is what was causing the slow rates.

I have the tach indoors now and tomorrow I'll go out to start saw and leave tach indoors until saw warms up a little and then I'll try to get another reading with a warm tachometer.

If you watch the video let me know how the rates compare to your tach.

Haha. Yep. About clearing the max rpms, my directions said that the tach will say ''hold''...Wrong!! I figured it out, but it dont say hold.

Mine picks up fine, just seems it takes a while to figure out what the RPMs are...and it could be me cause this is the first and only tach ive ever used.

Ive got a Fast Tach too and holing is a bunch of crap. How do you get it to clear?

Ive got a Fast Tach too and holing is a bunch of crap. How do you get it to clear?

If I remember right, With the normal RPM screen up push and hold the on/mode button for 5 seconds and reset will show up at the top in little letters, then let off.

I was holding mine for 20 seconds waiting on the bold HOLD letters and never did find it.lol

If I remember right, With the normal RPM screen up push and hold the on/mode button for 5 seconds and reset will show up at the top in little letters, then let off.

I was holding mine for 20 seconds waiting on the bold HOLD letters and never did find it.lol

Cool. Thank you sir.

Just started using a tach myself that I got in the mail today, but I bought the EZ TACH. I have a video of mine reading my saw here: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/162386.htm#post2725216 Tach in the video was out in the cold (20-25*F) for a long time so I don't know if that is what was causing the slow rates.

I have the tach indoors now and tomorrow I'll go out to start saw and leave tach indoors until saw warms up a little and then I'll try to get another reading with a warm tachometer.

If you watch the video let me know how the rates compare to your tach.

Id guess there close to the same. I probably jumped the gun when I said I thought mine was slow. I went and watched a few of Brads videos and there about the same. Guess I noticed it a little more after using one. Im sure it seems longer than it is... setting there holding a saw wide open watching numbers. If mine cant take it I dont need em no way lol.

I dont have a video, But heres an excellent one of Brads with the same tach.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jYUotkZorg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7jYUotkZorg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Hope you didnt care Brad.:D

Absolutely correct. If you follow the instructions, it'll never clear. Mine doesnt even auto clear when its shut off like its supposed to. I told Kyle i could live with that as long as i could manually clear it.
REJ2

Absolutely correct. If you follow the instructions, it'll never clear. Mine doesnt even auto clear when its shut off like its supposed to. I told Kyle i could live with that as long as i could manually clear it.
REJ2

Mine doesn't auto clear either. Maybe they changed them a little and kept the old instructions or something..?

Id guess there close to the same. I probably jumped the gun when I said I thought mine was slow. I went and watched a few of Brads videos and there about the same. Guess I noticed it a little more after using one. Im sure it seems longer than it is... setting there holding a saw wide open watching numbers. If mine cant take it I dont need em no way lol.

I don't know much about these tachs but the ez tach I purchased was stated by a company tech rep that it has a 1/2 second refresh rate.:dunno:

Thanks for the bsnelling video, it'll help me get my saw tuned.

OK after watching Brad using the tach I discovered something I didn't catch before. The arrow on the face should point towards the sparkplug...or so it seems. I'll try that tomorrow and see if that solves my problem...didn't mention the arrow at all in my instructions....just says it'll read from 4" to 15" from the plug...

I don't know much about these tachs but the ez tach I purchased was stated by a company tech rep that it has a 1/2 second refresh rate.:dunno:

Thanks for the bsnelling video, it'll help me get my saw tuned.

I think these are 1/2 second as well.

OK after watching Brad using the tach I discovered something I didn't catch before. The arrow on the face should point towards the sparkplug...or so it seems. I'll try that tomorrow and see if that solves my problem...didn't mention the arrow at all in my instructions....just says it'll read from 4" to 15" from the plug...

Id say thatll get you in business.

Cantdog,
the direction should not matter. I had one that would not read at all. I sent it back. Kyle sent me out another one no questions, even sent a UPS sticker for the box to send the other one back in-excellent service BTW. My new one seems to read too fast and the numbers are hard to "stabilize". Watching this thread for the holy grail of enlightenment fast tach style.

Back