favorite kinds of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So many responses for wood that doesn't exist out here where I'm at! Soooo::

Primarily Aspen and Pinon Pine. Pinon as my "hard wood", using it for overnight, and Aspen to start with or during those "warm stove" days, where you don't need a lot. Have burned Spruce but don't care for it for the house- it would gum up the pipe pretty bad, even with liquidy creosote coming from the pipe seams! Will use it out in the shop stove though as that stove is a Logwood and burns fast and hot.

I really like either Alligator Juniper or Shaggy Bark Juniper but seldom cut either because of distance to get to decent stands. Cut some alligator this year though from the Wallow Fire area since it's close. Same with oak, usually have to travel a good ways to find it so not worth it.

I sell lots of Aspen each year to customers. Pretty popular here, easy to cut, plentiful, pretty easy to split (unless wet sometimes).

JEEEZ nobody likes tamarack/larch??
1. Tamarack
2. Doug Fir aka: red fir
3. Lodgepole pine

That being said, most of what I burn is that junky hardwood that I scrounge. Mainly elm, russian olive and locust. I really do prefer the firs and pines though, it is just to far to drive these days to get to them. Fuel prices are becoming prohibitive on self reliability in a lot of ways.

So many responses for wood that doesn't exist out here where I'm at! Soooo::

Primarily Aspen and Pinon Pine. Pinon as my "hard wood", using it for overnight, and Aspen to start with or during those "warm stove" days, where you don't need a lot. Have burned Spruce but don't care for it for the house- it would gum up the pipe pretty bad, even with liquidy creosote coming from the pipe seams! Will use it out in the shop stove though as that stove is a Logwood and burns fast and hot.

I really like either Alligator Juniper or Shaggy Bark Juniper but seldom cut either because of distance to get to decent stands. Cut some alligator this year though from the Wallow Fire area since it's close. Same with oak, usually have to travel a good ways to find it so not worth it.

I sell lots of Aspen each year to customers. Pretty popular here, easy to cut, plentiful, pretty easy to split (unless wet sometimes).

hey, man, ya burn what ya got! Tradeoffs where you live no doubt, good hunting and fishing maybe...ha! I had a room I rented once in beantown with a fireplace, had to scrounge down alleys, I burned like old crate wood and pallets and stuff like that. You burn what you can get!

Tamarack, now that's one I have not used since my days in Northern Maine. But from what I remember Tamarack (Eastern Larch) burned well. I have seen a little of it here and there in Pennsylvania but never cut any here. Cool tree. Always thought it pretty interesting that it looks like an evergreen but is actually a deciduous tree. I would be lost out west. In reviewing what you burn out there I do not think I could identify 1/10th of the species you use for firewood.

1a.) Mulberry
1b.) Locust

2.) Everything else.

Locust is a staple of my firewood pile..but mulberry just splits a whole hell of a lot easier.

Oaks are good; but it's like Budweiser....#1 because it's everyone's #2 choice. :msp_sneaky:

not in order either free or cut it myself
cherry
hickory
hackberry
black gum
locust
blackjack--- black oak smells like cat poop in a way when it burns :hmm3grin2orange:
hedge apple
pecan

worst for me
sassafras
hybrid poplar
sycamore
ash

Sassafrass (The hatred I hold for the species is beyond description..burning it, is Therapy)
Cherry
Red Oak

Favorites, or not, I'll run whatever I can get my paws on.
I like all of 'em.

Though I am to the point that Boxelder will be saved for the firepit unless I have no other options.
I noticed the stuff triggers athsma and the Gag reflex at the same time, so I'll be giving any I end up cutting, to a bud with a boiler.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Zogger said it in 400 words or so. I'll say it only a few: Ash is overall the best firewood that anyone can cut, split, and burn.

Yup, ash is my favorite. There is an old poem that has a line that goes "Ash wood wet or ash wood dry a king shall warm his slippers by. Always remembered that line.

No one has mentioned service berry also called shad bush in the N/E tidal zones. A fairly fast growing small tree that has white blossoms in the spring. The wood is dense and hard,burns and coals nicely. Another good wood is hop horn beam called hardak in my area of N/E New York state. A slow growing small tree that blooms with a fruit that looks very much like a hop.It burns and coals like the service berry.

Yup, ash is my favorite. There is an old poem that has a line that goes "Ash wood wet or ash wood dry a king shall warm his slippers by. Always remembered that line.

Beech wood fires are bright and clear,
If the logs are kept a year.

Chestnut's only good, they say,
If for long it's laid way.

Birch and fir logs burn too fast,
Blaze up bright and do not last.

Elm wood burns like a churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold.

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke.

Apple wood will scent your room,
With and incense like perfume.

Oak and Maple if dry and cold,
Keep away the winter cold.

But ash wood wet and ash wood dry,
A king shall warm his slippers by.

I like Ash the most followed by maple. If I'm going to be gone for an extended period I use my small supply of Iron Wood, burns forever.

Personally i have never heard of half the trees you guys talk about but here in New Zealand the most common is macrocarpa, blue gum and pine

Personally i have never heard of half the trees you guys talk about but here in New Zealand the most common is macrocarpa, blue gum and pine

This one? Interesting! Where you are, 120 foot and nine foot diameter! Qualifies as monstah trees in my book! Real pretty, too.

Cupressus macrocarpa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

very rare here, and introduced where you are and took off apparently, good climate match.

Latest posts

Back