favorite kinds of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Red & White Oak are the most plentiful around here, followed by Hickory & Cherry. We do get into some Hackberry & Black Locust which I try to avoid due to the unpleasant smell. Burned a good bit of pine while growning up, but haven't cared too in the last 15 years. I prefer Oak, seems to be easier to regulate the heat output from my Vermont Castings Dutchwest Stove. Maybe a little Poplar or Sweetgum in late Fall or late Winter.

Free, in any order.

Otherwise:
Hedge
Mulberry
Red Oak
Hickory

Because we have free access to all the above. So has it always been, so it shall always be! ;o)

Hey Mac...how does that mulberry hold up...use to see a lot when I was a kid...not so much these days?

Hey Mac...how does that mulberry hold up...use to see a lot when I was a kid...not so much these days?

I like it. High BTU's. It doesn't burn like hedge though. We burned the last we had a while back. No more on the property so we'll have to do some scrounging.

I like it. High BTU's. It doesn't burn like hedge though. We burned the last we had a while back. No more on the property so we'll have to do some scrounging.
Alright then Mac...I got enough time and gas for one load this week....and my choices are blow down silver maple, 2 yr hackberry or fresh cut honey locust huge bottoms....which one would you go for?:confused:

I like about any hardwood seasoned and reasonably dry. I mix in some pine now and then to use it up and I like its smell. I like almost everything about cherry but it isn't the tops in btu's, never the less I am presently burning some large split dense looking pieces that been seasoned 2 + years that burn wonderful. Been 30 ish degrees and about 1 piece at a time 3 to 5 hour intervals is keeping the small old leaky house 70ish.
I like most for what they are and use my wood accordingly, it would be easier for me to say what I don't like. Willow, Cottonwood, Aspen, and some sappy pines just aren't worth the effort if you have good woods. To much feeding the fire and tons of ashes to get rid of. I find dry well seasoned dead standing pines make a good hot fire that heats the house quick. Since I learned to add the pine after the chimney is already warmed up good and thorough, creosote hasn't been a problem. I usually burn about 1/2 cord pine a year, 3 to 4 cord pin,black,white oaks,cherry,black locust,mulberry,silver + red maple,river birch with small amounts of red and white cedar,plum, apple,Hickory and this and that. Black locust, white oak, Hickory, black oak are my favorites if I am leaving the house for many hours in cold weather.

i got about 4 cords of black oak from sandy. how does it season compared to red. i let my red go for 2yrs, ill only have 14months into it by next january. currently burning apple but shouldnt be burning much, this march has been bad for everyone.

i got about 4 cords of black oak from sandy. how does it season compared to red. i let my red go for 2yrs, ill only have 14months into it by next january. currently burning apple but shouldnt be burning much, this march has been bad for everyone.

I am not that familiar with Red but I expect they are about the same in
respects of firewood.

Latest posts

Back