favorite saw shop employee fired

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to deal with a shop that was on the other side of the county from me,but it was well worth the trip...They always kept every model from the Stihl and Husky catalog on the floor for you to put your hands on before you bought.The place was ran by a husband and wife and they were a younger couple,but a pleasure to do business with.Many times I went in that place in desperate need for a particular part,and when he didn't have it in stock,he wouldn't hesitate to rob one off of a brand new saw to keep me running..Many times I needed a quick fix,and he would drop what he was doing until I was up and running again.Shortly after I got married the second time,I was robbed clean of every saw I owned.It was two weeks before Christmas that year,and the insurance I had at the time would not cover my loss,and during such a slow time of year,I did not have the money to replace my saws.Whoever this guy was that stole them had to walk 100 yards from the road and right past my wife's marked patrol car and break into the box under the bed of my truck to get my saws out...So after we found out that my insurance was useless we went to his shop to see if he could help me out somehow.We fully intended to just buy new saws with our credit card,but this would have put it over the limit and we were counting on using it to finish Christmas shopping for our kids..After telling him this,he gave me a brand new 046 and a 020T and told me not to worry about paying for them until the following spring.Shortly after I re-paid the debt,I went to replace the 066 that was stolen as well,and he was not there that day.When I asked his wife where he was,she broke into tears and told me that he had comitted suicide two weeks earlier.The shop is under new ownership now and she now sells real estate...I know how you feel about the guy you speak of.The employee's of a particular shop either make it or break it.

I used to deal with a shop that was on the other side of the county from me,but it was well worth the trip...They always kept every model from the Stihl and Husky catalog on the floor for you to put your hands on before you bought.The place was ran by a husband and wife and they were a younger couple,but a pleasure to do business with.Many times I went in that place in desperate need for a particular part,and when he didn't have it in stock,he wouldn't hesitate to rob one off of a brand new saw to keep me running..Many times I needed a quick fix,and he would drop what he was doing until I was up and running again.Shortly after I got married the second time,I was robbed clean of every saw I owned.It was two weeks before Christmas that year,and the insurance I had at the time would not cover my loss,and during such a slow time of year,I did not have the money to replace my saws.Whoever this guy was that stole them had to walk 100 yards from the road and right past my wife's marked patrol car and break into the box under the bed of my truck to get my saws out...So after we found out that my insurance was useless we went to his shop to see if he could help me out somehow.We fully intended to just buy new saws with our credit card,but this would have put it over the limit and we were counting on using it to finish Christmas shopping for our kids..After telling him this,he gave me a brand new 046 and a 020T and told me not to worry about paying for them until the following spring.Shortly after I re-paid the debt,I went to replace the 066 that was stolen as well,and he was not there that day.When I asked his wife where he was,she broke into tears and told me that he had comitted suicide two weeks earlier.The shop is under new ownership now and she now sells real estate...I know how you feel about the guy you speak of.The employee's of a particular shop either make it or break it.

Wow what a story. I bet you could feel a rock in the pit of your stomach when she told you. One guy can make or break a shop. When me and the wife first got married we couldn't afford a washer and dryer. The local shop that sold appliances gave me a washer and dryer for 10 bucks a month until I could afford more. This guy was great and helped me and my wife furnish our house with appliances. Anything that would go wrong he'd come right out and fix it.
He passed away about 12 years ago the shop went when he went. We just bought a new set at the big box store 60 miles away. No more local shops. Service is becoming a thing of the past. Im a barber that still uses a straight razor. Im also a dying breed.

Wow what a story. I bet you could feel a rock in the pit of your stomach when she told you. One guy can make or break a shop. When me and the wife first got married we couldn't afford a washer and dryer. The local shop that sold appliances gave me a washer and dryer for 10 bucks a month until I could afford more. This guy was great and helped me and my wife furnish our house with appliances. Anything that would go wrong he'd come right out and fix it.
He passed away about 12 years ago the shop went when he went. We just bought a new set at the big box store 60 miles away. No more local shops. Service is becoming a thing of the past. Im a barber that still uses a straight razor. Im also a dying breed.

When my second wife and I first got married,I was running this business full time,but it wasn't near what it is now...It was hit and miss,and nearly non existant during the winter when we got married,so we weren't exactly sittin' on top of the world...She was a police officer in a very small little town of which there were only three full time officers,and her paycheck was only $305.92 after taxes.I also had two kids from my first marriage that I was raising on my own,so that made it a little more difficult...Our living room furniture was donated by her cheif from an old rental house he had just sold.My dad gave us his old refridgerator,the rest I already had except for a washer and dryer...There is a used appliance shop on the other side of town over here ran by an older gentleman and his son,we were content to buy the cheapest set he had until he found out I was in the tree business,then he asked if I happened to have an old saw that I would be willing to sell him...So he traded me a washer and dryer set that he originally was asking 400 bucks for,for a 371 husky I had that I had to doctor up a little for him.He still has that saw,and it's still running.We still have the washer and dryer,and it's still working well...A year later,I traded him three dump truck loads of red oak firewood for a stove he had that was fairly new....There aren't very many people like the ones we talk of here left in the world...Most want your money,then want you out the door.

... There aren't very many people like the ones we talk of here left in the world... Most want your money, then want you out the door.

Sadly, that is mostly true. Fortunately, at least in 'small town' America, there seem to be plenty of good folks left.

I was hunting down some odd hardware yesterday, and I gladly paid a bit extra from the local store rather than going to the big-box. The convenience of having a good local place, that knows you by name and would work with you if need be, easily offsets dealing with the traffic & mess of going 'into town.'

Last edited:
Yep. I'll pay more to deal with the little guy, whenever I can. If it's big ticket, well, I don't have money to spare, so I have to shop price, but I try to stick with the small town guys as much as possible.

I try to shop for everything from the locals in my small town. The only problem is the local shops are dying off. There is some big boxs stores 45 miles from our small town it amazing that people will drive 90 miles to save a couple of bucks.

I typically buy everything local.The only time I've ever ordered anything mail order was when my dealer absolutely couldn't get the part from one of his suppliers(once in the previous 15 yrs I believe).The way I've always explained this to people was that if you didn't support your local dealers they wouldn't be there when you need them.For example,it's sat,you need an emergency widget for your bike for the race on sun-where are you going to go?I deal with one particular bike dealer and always have.Different times I've shown up at the shop for something to find them closed(holiday or whatever)and the owner or his mechanic had seen me drive by and went to the shop and opened to get me what I need.On another occasion,I had a pre-arranged loan from the bank for a new bike which had arrived and was sitting there all shiny and pretty looking(in a KTM125SX sort of way)so I went to the bank to pick up the cheque.I was then told that the loan officer I had dealt with was on vacation for two weeks and I would have to wait for her to get back.(no doubt a commission thing)Bah!Anyway,I went to the dealer and told him it would be a couple weeks and told him the story.He laughed and said"no problem,take it with you today,I know you're good for it-so I did,although I didn't dare ride it until I was sure it was paid for but it was nice to have it home.How many Walmarts would let you walk out the door with $7500 of unpaid goods on your word alone?I never talk price with him either.I asked him once on something and he said it's x amount but I could probably go a little better than that.I told him I wasn't price shopping but just wanted to know if I could afford it or not.He said "oh,well it's this amount then"Consequently,not dickering and buying from him alone I get a better deal than most everybody that tries to beat him down(I've seen what others have paid for the same item-and I keep my mouth shut)without ever having discussed it-and the best of service as well.Something to think about......

Last edited:
I grew up in a really small town (200 people and change) and went to high school in a town of 500. Banked at the local bank there. When I was in college, I borrowed money to buy a car. The bank owner's son (in his late 40s at the time) asked me how much I wanted to borrow and when I wanted the payments to start. He typed it up and handed the paper over for me to sign.

About a year later, I ended up in a situation where all my bills were due at the same time and it was straining my college budget. I called the bank to ask if I could change my payment date from the 1st to the 20th. They had hired my old social studies teacher who never really liked me, and he gave me this big song and dance about how much work it was going to be. So, I drive up from college and catch the bank owner and tell him what I want to do. He gets my note, scratches out the 1st and writes "20" in the blank. Then he asks me how college is going.

I miss the small town thing.

Mark

There aren't very many people like the ones we talk of here left in the world...Most want your money,then want you out the door.

Another aspect to this story is that years ago, people weren't up to their eyeballs in debt as they are now. We have people come in that have to finance a weedwacker.

The guy that hepled you out when your saws were ripped off knew you were good for it, because he had done business with you in the past. In a sense, you had your own good credit rating with him. In some of this "looking back" we are remembering a time when people weren't simply customers, they were friends and neighbors as well. They felt it was right to support the local businesses, who in turn felt a responsibility to take care of them. It was a kind of mutual loyalty between them. Compare that to what we have today with many people running to the box stores or the net to save a few bucks and then wondering why the local guy isn't interested in fixing their stuff.

People like to blame the credit card industry and sub prime lenders for the mess that a lot of people are in today. But to me, it's really a problem of people trying to live above their means. If you run up bills buying stuff you can't afford, you have dug your own grave, so don't go crying to the lender.

Remember the concept of saving up for something that you wanted to buy? That certainly isn't in fashion these days, is it? Or at least getting something payed off before signing another note. Nope, gotta have it now!!! I was raised to ask myself the question: "Can I afford it?" Today the question is: "Can I get approved?"

So, now you had better be damn well sure before extending credit to anyone. Because in todays world, people just don't feel as compelled to settle up as they used to. Years ago, you were a heel if you didn't pay your debts. But today, it's common practice for people to dodge the bill collectors, only paying those who are fortunate enough to catch up with them.

Maybe we should bring back debtors prisons like they had in England years ago, except for the fact that we couldn't afford to build enough of them.

Another aspect to this story is that years ago, people weren't up to their eyeballs in debt as they are now. We have people come in that have to finance a weedwacker.

The guy that hepled you out when your saws were ripped off knew you were good for it, because he had done business with you in the past. In a sense, you had your own good credit rating with him. In some of this "looking back" we are remembering a time when people weren't simply customers, they were friends and neighbors as well. They felt it was right to support the local businesses, who in turn felt a responsibility to take care of them. It was a kind of mutual loyalty between them. Compare that to what we have today with many people running to the box stores or the net to save a few bucks and then wondering why the local guy isn't interested in fixing their stuff.

People like to blame the credit card industry and sub prime lenders for the mess that a lot of people are in today. But to me, it's really a problem of people trying to live above their means. If you run up bills buying stuff you can't afford, you have dug your own grave, so don't go crying to the lender.

Remember the concept of saving up for something that you wanted to buy? That certainly isn't in fashion these days, is it? Or at least getting something payed off before signing another note. Nope, gotta have it now!!! I was raised to ask myself the question: "Can I afford it?" Today the question is: "Can I get approved?"

So, now you had better be damn well sure before extending credit to anyone. Because in todays world, people just don't feel as compelled to settle up as they used to. Years ago, you were a heel if you didn't pay your debts. But today, it's common practice for people to dodge the bill collectors, only paying those who are fortunate enough to catch up with them.

Maybe we should bring back debtors prisons like they had in England years ago, except for the fact that we couldn't afford to build enough of them.
Great post spike! ;)

My wife read this thread earlier this morning,and I'm not sure why she didn't bother to add this,but this one is probably the last time we have had a good ole' boy experience besides our constant dealings with the appliance store I mentioned..That guy won't leave me alone now by the way,about once or twice a year he gets in a like new appliance whether it be a washer/dryer,stove,ect.,then he always wants to make some kind of trade off with me.After all this time of dealing with him,not 1 cent of actual cash has exchanged hands...Anyway,here's what happened.I do alot of shooting and reloading,and so does my wife,but she doesn't re-load.There is a gun shop on the other end of town that I have bought every single one of my guns from.This guy is a good friend of my fathers,and my dad took me in there when I was ten to buy me my first gun,and to me that has been the only gun shop in the world since.About a year before my wife left the small department she was working for,deer season approached and I was in the mood for a new deer rifle.I had my mind set on what I wanted,and I laid it away that june..I went in there on my birthday,Sept.10 to pay it off and pick it up.My wife had to be at work that evening,so she went ahead and suited up to make the trip over there with me,then I was to drop her off afterwards.She did not have a take home patrol car.Her side arm was an old S&W 357 revolver which was that little department's standard issue.She wanted a glock,but never could afford one at the time.When we went in to pick up that rifle,we had our usual BS session,then he looked my wife over from head to toe..He then said"Why don't they let you have an automatic?"..She explained him the situation,he then said"Let me see what I can do"...After thumbing through a few books and looking around in the back he gave her a brand new leather duty belt and new cuff cases,a new radio holder and a new pepper spray holder...He then came from the back with another box which held a brand new Glock model 22 and a new holster to hold it..There are certain holsters they are allowed to use,but this guy supplied several different agency's..She did not want to accept it at first and she was nearly in tears.Her get-up was getting old and ragged and needed a little love..He told her that if she didn't take it it was gonna hurt his feelings,so she took it.She still wears the same duty rig today,and it must have been high quality stuff because it still looks fairly new...She did re-pay him over time,and after she got on with the sheriff's office she not only bought several more pistols from him,but brought him hordes of business from others in the department because the shop most of that county primarily deals with is run by a couple of real jerks who don't want to give you the time of day.....All is well that ends well,he told me that he is gonna shut his doors and retire in the next three years.I'm gonna miss that place like my grandmothers cooking.

I guess a good small business owner can sense who he should stick his neck out for and who he should avoid....My credit isn't perfect,but if it weren't for several people helping me and my wife and kids along our way here and there,I'm not sure where we'd be..I have always tried to steer clear of the "Big" stores and do all of my trading with small businesses.Their prices may be a little higher,but there is nothing like the peice of mind you get from someone who fits your shoes and personally has experience with whatever he's dealing.

I guess a good small business owner can sense who he should stick his neck out for and who he should avoid....My credit isn't perfect,but if it weren't for several people helping me and my wife and kids along our way here and there,I'm not sure where we'd be..I have always tried to steer clear of the "Big" stores and do all of my trading with small businesses.Their prices may be a little higher,but there is nothing like the peice of mind you get from someone who fits your shoes and personally has experience with whatever he's dealing.

Well said Timberhauler. That makes me feel good when I go to a small business and support the local guy. There are more important things in life other that money and material possessions. Material possessions make me feel good for a short period of time then I just get used to it. What is really important in life is: work, play, friends, family, and having fun.

Back