"favourite" climbing knots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chriscnc

Reaction score
hi, just wondering what everyones "favourite" or "go-to" loops are to connect their rope to harness

At college i learned to use a bowline + prussic (passed through twice) combination.
We also used the figure of eight loop with prussic.

Although ive never had any real problems with either, (touch wood), i find the figure eight loop rather bulky (and it uses a fair bit of rope) and the bowline kind of flimsy... just wondering what other people use.

Thanks!

i use a spliced rope so no problem with knots, when there is no splice i use a double 8 it is a little bulky but very simple and secure

Triple fishermans attaches my rope snap to my climbing line, I use a e2e split tail with double fishermans forming the eyes, and a mitchoacan as my hitch.

IMHO the only way to improve on these is to use spliced eyes and the mitchoacan.

I don't think of the bowline as flimsy, but don't like it in that application because of the possibility of cross loading after being unloaded.

Anchor hitch for me. It's fairly compact and doesn't require a lot of rope. I prefer the spliced eye, but I also like to rotate the working end of the rope (to more evenly distribute the wear) and I only have one end spliced.

Spliced climbing line with hitch climber pulley. 2 biners, eye to eye prussic and distel hitch... clean, compact and super easy to use..love it. After going to this setup, I will never go back to knots and rope snaps.

Vt, Distal, or Blakes for friction hitch.

Double or triple fisherman (Scaffold Hitch or several other names) for secure attachment to snaps & rings. Figure 8 or bowline for same application that needs to be untied.

Timber hitch for securing rope to wood; add a marl for extra strength. Cow Hitch when there is to be NO chance for wiggling out (short & heavy).

Clove hitch for tying throwline to rope, sometimes for implements to raise into a tree.

Bowline for loop at the end of a rope, "running" Bowline for remote attachment to branches.

Manharness for midline loop.

Two half hitches for an easy, reliable choker that stays put, add a stopper for long-term use.

Lots more knots for other things...

Vt, Distal, or Blakes for friction hitch.

Double or triple fisherman (Scaffold Hitch or several other names) for secure attachment to snaps & rings. Figure 8 or bowline for same application that needs to be untied.

Timber hitch for securing rope to wood; add a marl for extra strength. Cow Hitch when there is to be NO chance for wiggling out (short & heavy).

Clove hitch for tying throwline to rope, sometimes for implements to raise into a tree.

Bowline for loop at the end of a rope, "running" Bowline for remote attachment to branches.

Manharness for midline loop.

Two half hitches for an easy, reliable choker that stays put, add a stopper for long-term use.

Lots more knots for other things...

I agree with everything stated above use all the same knots. Notthe VT as much as the others

Except I thought we discussed the YOU KNOW WHAT KNOT. I cant say it.

The only acceptable knots to dead end a carabiner are the double/triple fisherman knot or the anchor knot with a tail three times the diameter of the rope. this is what I was told at the isa competition. When dead ending with a snap you have to back up your bowline with a yosemite tie off.

The only acceptable knots to dead end a carabiner are the double/triple fisherman knot or the anchor knot with a tail three times the diameter of the rope. this is what I was told at the isa competition. When dead ending with a snap you have to back up your bowline with a yosemite tie off.

Well...only if you believe everything ISA tells you. If you want a secure hitch that chokes down on the carabiner, there are all of these too:

Buntline hitch (preferred over Anchor hitch, I believe)
Two half hitches with a stopper knot (not the best, but very well known)
Round turn & two half hitches (big improvement!)
Highpoint hitch (not the slipped version)
lobster buoy hitch (uncommonly used, but probably as good as any others)
Clinch knot (runaway favorite for small rings like fish hooks)
Vibration-proof hitch (seldom used)
Pedigree Cow Hitch (I never heard of this one until today. Pretty good knot! http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/knots/knots_hitches_cow.html#pedigreecowhitch)

Last edited:
i use the "XT", i use to work with a guy that was with aspen tree company, Mark Chisolm came up with this "XT". Bee-line and Velocity 11mm, Butterfly harness with a hitch climber pulley works really well for me, ill have to post some pics later, similar to the VT

At college i learned to use a bowline + prussic (passed through twice) combination. We also used the figure of eight loop with prussic.

There is an inexpensive book you should obtain -- The Tree Climber's Companion by Jepson. It only costs about $15 and virtually every tree climber owns a copy. It describes all the basic knots and introduces closed hitches.

Back