"favourite" climbing knots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is an inexpensive book you should obtain -- The Tree Climber's Companion by Jepson. It only costs about $15 and virtually every tree climber owns a copy. It describes all the basic knots and introduces closed hitches.

Just a quick sidenote, we should all receive a commission. I've personally recommended that book on here a bunch of times, and I know a ton of others on here have recommended it as the 'go to book' for anybody just starting out climbing. Makes me wonder how many copies have been sold from us giving free advertisements. Sorry, just saying.

Also, I think SherrillTree's website has a nice list of knots.

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Learning-Center/Knots

Last edited:
Do you have any issues breaking the knot when you're untying? That's my biggest concern with the buntline vs. the anchor. I know I can easily break the anchor hitch. Thoughts?

If its a termination on a karabiner then slip it off the krab. Doesnt matter which cinching knot you use when its off the krab its way easier to untie.

If its a termination on a karabiner then slip it off the krab. Doesnt matter which cinching knot you use when its off the krab its way easier to untie.

That's true, but I have never had a problem breaking an anchor hitch while still on the carabiner. So, I was just wondering. Thanks.

Back