Felling cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodfarmer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I cut hardwood, maple and ash. So I use a standard notch cut, but my sawyer says I should use a humboldt.
He thinks that it costs more time to cut off the flare on a sawlog vs me not wanting to leave 12” of board feet on the stump.
Which way to go?

I cut hardwood, maple and ash. So I use a standard notch cut, but my sawyer says I should use a humboldt.
He thinks that it costs more time to cut off the flare on a sawlog vs me not wanting to leave 12” of board feet on the stump.
Which way to go?
Do whatever will give you the greatest return for least effort.
Humboldt can be a bit harder when trying to be close to the ground

Cut what your comfortable with and what the situation calls for. Steep ground and/or higher risk of breaking saw logs I like to use a Humboldt to get the butt on the ground first. Cutting low stumps then a conventional is the ticket. If you need lots of directional control and to keep the tree tied to the stump as long as possible then an open notch might be best. It all depends on your skill level and what you need the tree to do.

I wouldn't change anything that is safe, efficient and comfortable just because the sawmill guy or anyone else says this or that about saving time.

Which way to go?
12"? I cut 99.9% with a Humbolt. Heck I didn't even know what it was called. All that I knew is it allowed me 3 fairly quick cuts and basically eliminated any squaring of the log or kickback of the tree if it hangs up. The bottom of the notch is basically touching the ground. I use a very shallow notch and the tree is always cut completely off unless it is dangerous to remain for the full cut but that is rare. If our timberman did not see a bell once in awhile, he would go for a walk to see how high your stumps were. You better not have any sticking up too far are you would be off the cutting crew. Once you started paying stumpage you didn't leave that profit! CJ

Back