Felling notches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen a few big Redwoods pulled over using a winch. PL had a D7 rigged with a cherry picker, the operator would get as far up as he could, whip an inch choker on it, then run the arch line out through a block. The fallers would do their thing, the D7 would put some tension on and down went the tree. It was a big production, used only when absolutely needed, a road had to be built for the D7, it was too tippy to make it's own road, I saw it turn turtle twice.

Hey did you see I just made A faller? I am now certified to cut 8" trees under direct supervision.

Congratulations! :clap::cheers:

You should see "The Looks" I get when a logger/faller asks me about working for the FS and I tell them all the training and testing they'll have to do.

I'm still a B Bucker. I like the sound of that. B squared...

I am hoping to go out and work with one of the two expert fallers who cut their teeth in the old growth. I'll pack the paint gun and part of the gear.
It'll be an interesting day or two if he gets the bid.

Yes, I've watched the tree painting video.

I would almost bet my winch could handle a four foot by 200 foot redwood and if I can't drive there if I have enough cable and snatch blocks no big deal. I have pulled many 56" dbh trees over with my set up and I am confident but do know limitations however leverage is a valuable tool in tree felling and with 40000 lbs of pull at say a hundred foot height you would be surprised at what it can accomplish. I do know there are a few trees in your area that could test my winch but they would have to be obviously impossible for my setup to not work especially double snatch blocked. I will not stutter to say my winch is way better than any wedge. You went right to 20" and assumed that I considered them as big lol I have cut quite a few in the plus 60" dbh and two in the 70" dbh here and while I will say and understand they are maxed out at 125' to 155' the physics are the same. Uprooting a 20" oak takes considerable pull was what I was meaning not I considered a 20" large:cheers:

Fallin big a$$ trees in a cow pasture is a lot different then fallin' big a$$ trees at 5,000 feet and a 60% grade side hill 200 yards from the FS road...

Gary

I have forgotten what they look like, there sure aren't any around here.

They are all in the campgrounds. :)The ones that have to be cut down, that is.
Makes it nice. Sometimes the escape route can be on a real trail or road. But the bad thing is there's outhouses, spigots, and other things that make it interesting for those who fall the trees.

Fallin big a$$ trees in a cow pasture is a lot different then fallin' big a$$ trees at 5,000 feet and a 60% grade side hill 200 yards from the FS road...

Gary
Good freakin gravy we are steep have the same terrain just not quite as high besides It really don't matter if I had enough cable I would pull your trees from here sheesh cow patty:laugh:

I drove through 2dog's country last month. My daughter wanted to see some redwoods and I delivered. My first time in that country, it made the cutting I used to do look like brush cutting. Fallers in that country have my respect big time.

I drove through 2dog's country last month. My daughter wanted to see some redwoods and I delivered. My first time in that country, it made the cutting I used to do look like brush cutting. Fallers in that country have my respect big time.

I agree however respect is earned and frankly we have some big timber here as well it seems pnw is the only steep and forested land in the world lol I would like to visit if it were not for their ego's !

Gary
Hills what hills. Ooops to easterners guess these would be called mountains.:greenchainsaw:

attachment.php

attachment.php

More than one right way to fall a tree!

It's great people can learn about techniques here, and get alot of insight. Damn scary though with some of the advice given even if it was meant well a person ought to thank about what they are saying and how it might be used. I am not old but not Young (green) but in my opinion no amount of reading or watching videos can ever provide the skills You learn by actually cutting timber (in real life) with experienced fallers. I didn't come out of the womb with a chainsaw in hand it took alot of years, and being willing to listen and learn by not being a know it all to get to whre I am at, even making a living at it for the last 9 years I still learn a little here and there from some of the oldfarts (no disrespect intended 2dogs) and I can still fuccccup. A few points the different styles of dutchmans all have their own purpose and are effective if You know what the hell You are doing, I can see the benefits of boring in some situations, and fan cuts, I don't know many fallers that would argue in most situations an open notch is best on a heavy leaner, between a conventional and Humboldt I was taught the Humboldt and will continue to use it over the conventional if anything for the added wood I save. If I caught someone "chilling" by a nearby the stump while or after a tree was coming down I would give em a swift kick in the ass a long cussing ( might save their life), and send them on their way home. The chillin would'nt cut it on the landing or on the riggin those types usually get harassed off the job quicklike. I think You should have a b plan for getting out of the way if a tree isn't going the way You want, I would never turn my back and run from one till I knew damn sure where it was going!!!! around here a good gust can alter the the direction substantially in a heartbeat literaly.

It's great people can learn about techniques here, and get alot of insight. Damn scary though with some of the advice given even if it was meant well a person ought to thank about what they are saying and how it might be used. I am not old but not Young (green) but in my opinion no amount of reading or watching videos can ever provide the skills You learn by actually cutting timber (in real life) with experienced fallers. I didn't come out of the womb with a chainsaw in hand it took alot of years, and being willing to listen and learn by not being a know it all to get to whre I am at, even making a living at it for the last 9 years I still learn a little here and there from some of the oldfarts (no disrespect intended 2dogs) and I can still fuccccup. A few points the different styles of dutchmans all have their own purpose and are effective if You know what the hell You are doing, I can see the benefits of boring in some situations, and fan cuts, I don't know many fallers that would argue in most situations an open notch is best on a heavy leaner, between a conventional and Humboldt I was taught the Humboldt and will continue to use it over the conventional if anything for the added wood I save. If I caught someone "chilling" by a nearby the stump while or after a tree was coming down I would give em a swift kick in the ass a long cussing ( might save their life), and send them on their way home. The chillin would'nt cut it on the landing or on the riggin those types usually get harassed off the job quicklike. I think You should have a b plan for getting out of the way if a tree isn't going the way You want, I would never turn my back and run from one till I knew damn sure where it was going!!!! around here a good gust can alter the the direction substantially in a heartbeat literaly.

Everyone is all fired up like every single tree you cut you have 2 escapes and you are 100 yards away befor the tree is on the deck.

There are MANY times where you must vacate for saftey but there are also times where staying put will work.

Is this fellow a bad faller cause he dident leave the stump?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kot0eI9n74U&feature=related

Back