Felling notches

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It don't look like a good notch to me, I would like to see the outcome on this one. Next to a fence and a small notch. No kind of PPE.

IMG_7374a.jpg
I think the fence is the ppe, (if he jumps it in time), and is he running the saw with a pinky round the handlebar?

I don't believe that statement

"That's what separates us from the other animals...the ability to see natural selection before it happens."

==============

I've seen dogs look at their owners with what was clearly a 'that is as stupid a thing as I have ever seen you do' gaze of disgust.

Cats are so self centered they can't be brought into this.

or the ability to be all show and no go;)

Plenty of that in nature actually...but humans certainly have refined it.

I don't believe the statement: "That's what separates us from the other animals...the ability to see natural selection before it happens."

==============

I've seen dogs look at their owners with what was clearly a 'that is as stupid a thing as I have ever seen you do' gaze of disgust.

Cats are so self centered they can't be brought into this.

We do tend to project our own feelings and characteristics onto animals (anthropomorphization). Your last comment is an excellent example of this. People tend to think cats are independent or self-centered, when in fact, they are just stupid.

Have just been reading through this thread with interest. With tree industry discussions, nothing seems to bring out adamant opinions more than notching and felling LOL!
I have beeen working as an arborist for 16 years,and teaching felling and climbing for a few years too, and so far have not had a major drama (And I get to touch heaps of wood so I should be ok!)
I have not worked as a logging feller, so I dont need to use the techniques for trying to preserve as much as the log as possible often, but have had a lot of experience felling trees around houses and 330 KV Powerlines, where a tree going wrong means a lot more than "how the hell are we gonna get that thing outta that other bloody tree!!!?"

From what I have seen so far, unless its a straight forward easy fall, the holding wood alone is not to be trusted. I have heard many stories of trees where everything was done "right" and the tree has decided it is going were it or a sudden gust of wind wants it to go. For the urban arborist, nothing works better than a high rope or two, a vehicle or turfor winch and a simple standard back cut, leaving as much wood as possible on the side opposite any lean. Cant go wrong, for the feller, look up and live, walk away carefully backwards into a clear escape route, keeping an eye on everything happening upstairs!

My aborist training also tells me that a lot of the tensile strength of the hinge is in the sapwood, so please dont make corner cuts to preserve timber if your felling around my house!! :)

Last edited:
lol !

lol !

What is it ? A skateboard wheel or a fence insulator ?
attachment.php
It's an old fence insulator, It was in the middle of a 30 inch oak. Just barely missed it. I just found that block a few weeks ago down at the mil's place. That's where i cut the tree. didn't know she still had it. She told me they had a hog farm there at one time.

My neighbor (72 yrs. old) whacked a big nail/spike in some maple he was bandsawing. He said he was really pissed off until he remembered where the tree came from and then remembered driving that spike into the tree when he was a kid. LOL

Latest posts

Back