Felling spikes for a 550xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have fell hundreds of trees with a 346xp (45cc). Not many over 24" & never had a problem.

But I wouldn't wont felling spikes on a 346xp, or any 50cc saw.
Yea that's why I asked, I have dropped hundreds of trees with a 50cc saws, so I was just curious why they don't work for felling. And I remove all of my outside dogs before I run the saw. My big saws wear the stock inside dog for protection mainly. CJ

i have a 50cc saw set up for those rare occasions when the 14" bar on my top handle is too small and i don't feel up to hauling a 272 up a tree.

started like this:

ruff_cut_F0263-sm.jpg

johnyshreads with 16" lopro bar and custom spikes. as i remember i had to use only an outer spikes because the case isn't drillied to mount inners:

felling_dogs_F0264-sm.jpg

Yea that's why I asked, I have dropped hundreds of trees with a 50cc saws, so I was just curious why they don't work for felling. And I remove all of my outside dogs before I run the saw. My big saws wear the stock inside dog for protection mainly. CJ
We are on the same page then. But the first part of your post looked like a statement that I did not agree with. ;)

If you don't think felling spikes are necessary on 50cc saws for falling you need to fall more trees. Like 800 or more a day. Spikes are necessary for accurate falling and also take a lot of load off your arms so help with fatigue as well. As Sawtroll mentioned there are a lot of different scenarios but in all honesty there is also a lot of difference in experience and expertise as well between members.
The 550 spikes are indeed some of the crappiest spikes to ever grace a chainsaw.
Everybody who doesn't want spikes must like caving their muffler in or wearing the paint off the case .
Even with the factory spike I've caved the muffler in and worn the paint off :)

What do you mean bro, 550 is more than adequate to fell
Yup its a good Lil felling saw, I regularly fall trees bigger then 2ft with it whoever thinks it's not enuff needs more practice. My stock dog busted off the one on it is junk. Gunna try the 562 Dawgs.

Latest posts

Back