felling trees that are larger then twice bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeahman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi, i work in the amenity arb industry here in oz. just today i got the job of felling a large euc in 2 weeks time. some time to mentally prepare.

as the title suggests the trunk diameter is larger then twice the length of my 460 bar. this will also be the largest tree i have felled!

the method that i am considering is to put in as large a scarf as possible, then do a plunge cut into the face of the scarf. then put in my back cut at the same height or just below the plunge.

the tree is leaning (not significantly) in the fall direction. i will be putting on a pull rope running it through pulleys for a mechanical advantage and maybe hooking it up to a vehicle? will be using wedges and thinking about using a bottle jack to help it on it's fall. i've done some research on jacking never done it though or seen it done. not even sure it's neccessary for this tree, just want to take the jack and know how to use it if on the day i decide it's needed.

Any comments or sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

thoughts

The pull rope with mechanical advantage could get you in trouble.
If you pull too hard on that rope it could sponsor a barber chair.

Wedges and rope together are fine. (Again, together they could get you that barber chair). If you are in a situation where you feel that there is enough lean to where you need a jack too I'd strongly recommend bringing in a local bonded pro. This seems especially appropriate with the "this will also be the largest tree I have felled!" statement. By the way; Are you bonded?

Make your face cut opening wide. More of an open face, so that you can get your saw powerhead in further. Also, make your scarf as deep as you can safely to also get in a little further. Check out the "Saw techniques and cutting/felling safety" recent thread, posts 162 and 163 for some other thoughts on face depth. The face center bore can be a great safety cut.

The way to get good at match cutting is to practice on tall stumps. This applies to both the scarf and back-cut.

If there is NO obstacle to hit, (hillside or rocks or standing trees or ________), or a limb configuration that could force the tree back over the stump. Nothing. Then stump shot is not needed. You could then have your back-cut at the same height as the apex of the face. That is where they work together the most efficiently. This might help if you had trouble with completing the back-cut. It could be fairly important if it kept you from pulling on that rope in frustration.

All the Best

Back