File size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi HUSKYMAN!

Here is the info on saw chain files for all pitches of saw chain.

1/2" Pitch - 1/4" dia. file

.404" Pitch - 7/32" dia. file

3/8" Pitch - 7/32" or 13/64" dia. file. Some people will use a 7/32" half way through the cutter & then drop down 1/64" to a 13/64".

3/8" Mini or Low-Profile - 5/32" dia. file

.325" Pitch (Semi-Chisel) - 3/16" dia. file

.325" Pitch (Full-Chisel) - 11/64" dia. file

1/4" Pitch - 5/32" dia. file.

Hope this helps!

ArborDude

This is what is recommended arbordude, but have you had people ask for a 9/64 file for mini 3/8 or a 1/4 pitch chain? Its kind of like the 7/32 and the 13/64 for the 3/8 chain.
Too each there own, right?:blob2:

Darin,

This is the 1st time I have heard of a 9/64" file. I know that you still get a 1/8" (8/64"), though not as easy to find.

Basicaly, there are 3 manufacturers who supply the world market with chain saw files.

The largest is U.M.V. which stands for Usines Metalurgiques de Vallorbe, Switzerland (excuse me as I probably spelled their name wrong).
They market theif files in the USA strictly private label. Some of the Manufacturers which they supply files to include, OREGON, STIHL, TOTAL (Tilton Equipment), TIMBER SAVAGE (Ahlborn Equipment) & NPA Pro-File (Formerly Norman Prince Associates).

Next would be Pferd (German), marketed in the USA under their own name. I believe they also private label for Bailey's.

The last one is Vialla, Finland. They market in the USA under their own name as well as private label for Bailey's. They also supply files to Sandvik & Windsor.

So I don't get in trouble, I am 95% sure regarding the reference to Bailey's. If by chance I am not, there's my out!!

For what it's worth, files manufactured by U.M.V. are generally considered the best!!!

How's that for a long answer to a short question!!!

ArborDude:D

Thats interesting, I have used the Pferd brand as so have many of my old customers. I got nothing but complaints. They were from Ahlborn. I used to buy the 9/64 from Stihl in there 2 and 3 pack files. I probably had 20-25 customers ask for them.

annyone know nothing about the 9/64 round files? Want it for my picco sawchain. The only manufactur I have found is stihl, I think that the stihl comfort files is very god but I dont like the classic. I have found Oregon 9/64 but I dont think they make it anymore.

This is what is recommended arbordude, but have you had people ask for a 9/64 file for mini 3/8 or a 1/4 pitch chain? Its kind of like the 7/32 and the 13/64 for the 3/8 chain.
Too each there own, right?:blob2:
Do you guys with imperial measurements get asked for metric sizes as the saws used are mainly metric sized in all other respects so 5/23=4mm 3/16=4.8mm7/32=5.5mm

Vallorbe has 9/64 or 3.6 mm round file. I am not sure that I am going to buy. I may stick to .325 pitch and the x cut on my stihl 261.

Back