Filing chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolbrze

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I heard someone say you should do the 1st few filings w/ a file that's just under 3/8" for a 3/8 chain. Anyone heard of this before?

I think you mean to say a file that's "smaller than the normally recommended one." Most manufs recommend a 7/32 for 3/8. The next smaller size is 13/64. You hear this sometimes. Stihl specifies 13/64 for all their 3/8 chain. A 3/8 file would be huge.

Some people (i think sawtroll included) use it for the first few times. IMO and IME it doesn't make a big difference one way or another. Smaller file size gives you a little bit more of a hook, which might be slightly slightly better at pulling chips, but presumably will dull and get damaged faster. It's a very small difference.

I just got a new dozen of save edge files in 7/32 which are amazing. Its crazy how fast they remove material, and they still leave a smooth edge. So far I've tried vallorbe in various forms (woodland pro, oregon, husky, stihl), pferd and the save edge and the save edge seem to be the best.

A second vote for Save Edge files. I was flush cutting a stump and filing the chain every few minutes. The Save Edge files got the job done quickly and smoothly.

I think the main reason why a file is the size it is, would be because if it was much bigger it wouldn't fit between the cutter and the racker on a new chain.

I've used 7/32 on used 325 pitch, which makes me think that a 1/4" or 5/16" file on a used 3/8 chain would be better than a 7/32 or 13/64.

Has anyone tried this?

Gypo

Most will use a 7/32 file and then some will use a 13/64 when the chain gets nearly worn out.

Yes, but also for the first filing (or two) on 3/8" Stihl RSC - hard to fit a 7/32 in a new one, as Gypo said! :)

Otherwise I use 7/32, but that is mostly because the Husky files we get here cut better than the Stihl ones.

For filing the gullets out on used chain, I always use the Husky 7/32 files.

Last edited:
I think the main reason why a file is the size it is, would be because if it was much bigger it wouldn't fit between the cutter and the racker on a new chain.

I've used 7/32 on used 325 pitch, .......

Has anyone tried this?

Gypo

So have I, but only on "rocked (or spiked) out" chain, to remove the damage faster.

So have I, but only on "rocked (or spiked) out" chain, to remove the damage faster.

I wonder if a 1/4" file would make a thinner under the top plate angle? It would seem the bigger the file the longer it would last as well. The bigger file would be good for gullet work and rocked chain as you mentioned. I still need to get some goofy files and try those since I am one lousy square filer. Lol
John

I wonder if a 1/4" file would make a thinner under the top plate angle? It would seem the bigger the file the longer it would last as well. The bigger file would be good for gullet work and rocked chain as you mentioned. I still need to get some goofy files and try those since I am one lousy square filer. Lol
John

I was just going to mention that I use a flat file but you beat me to it, what do you guys use a round file for?
Pioneerguy600

Back