finally got to run 2 tanks through my 361 today WHAT A POS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mountain,
A scale will only tell absolute weight, but to me weight is relative: specifically, a better-balanced saw with the right bar size will feel lighter and easier to maneuver, which is more important than actual weight. At least to me.

S

That was my single biggest complaint with my 361. It's ported and easily pulls a 28" bar but the miserly oiler could barely keep up with a 20" bar. You can upgrade the oiler on the 361 with a 460R oiler (or just the pats you need so you don't have to replace the whole thing). Then you'll need to run the oiler all the way down or the amount of oil you'll be slinging off that bar will be enough to make BP blush. Click ->here<- for a link to the 361 mods thread. It was a cheap fix and now it oils like nobodies business.

Mountain,
A scale will only tell absolute weight, but to me weight is relative: specifically, a better-balanced saw with the right bar size will feel lighter and easier to maneuver, which is more important than actual weight. At least to me.

S

Your right that's what I like about Echo saws, the balance and handeling. Steve

Steve, Steve. Steve, Echos aren't designed to be leaned on, put any sort of pressure on and an Echo will always stall in the cut. It's the reason why Echos have always only ever really been a sorry backyard style of saw. And as for balance and handling, of all the Echos I've had the terrible misfortune to run, there's never been one that didn't feel anything but coarse, harsh and cheap.. So it's all a mystery to me.. maybe those awesome Echos over there are actually Stihls or huskys in disguise.. :rain::drink::cat::goat::island::beer::snail::turtle:

Steve, Steve. Steve, Echos aren't designed to be leaned on, put any sort of pressure on and an Echo will always stall in the cut. It's the reason why Echos have always only ever really been a sorry backyard style of saw. And as for balance and handling, of all the Echos I've had the terrible misfortune to run, there's never been one that didn't feel anything but coarse, harsh and cheap.. So it's all a mystery to me.. maybe those awesome Echos over there are actually Stihls or huskys in disguise.. :rain::drink::cat::goat::island::beer::snail::turtle:

i took down a big hickory today,as soon as i get the vid down loaded i will post it

If you actually took the time or smarts to tune one you would figure they have the best torque or and saw out there cc for cc, what you been drinking today. For a saw that you think is gutless my litte 40cc Echo cuts faster than my 53cc Husky and just a hair behind my 56cc Stihl 029 ( a guy was more than happy to trade me even up for another CS400 I had for that nice clean 029 that is the fastest cutting 029 290 Stihl I've run) Steve

Last edited:
i took down a big hickory today,as soon as i get the vid down loaded i will post it

I like the 60cc stihls, mines an old 036 18" bar with a few extra holes bunged in the muffler, the power to weight ratio on the 60cc stihls is outstanding, I've had a go on a 361 dropping 16" pines, definitely smoother than the buzzier 036 but the power in the cut feels exactly the same between both. . Also a new saw doesn't loosen up to max performance until at least a week or twos worth of thrashing, that new 361 will get better and better over time, whilst the Echos seem to only get worse and worse cackle cackle :bulgy-eyes::devil:

If you actually took the time or smarts to tune one you would figure they have the best torque or and saw out there cc for cc, what you been drinking today. For a saw that you think is gutless my litte 40cc Echo cuts faster than my 53cc Husky and just a hair behind my 56cc Stihl 029 ( a guy was more than happy to trade me even up for another CS400 I had for that nice clean 029 that is the fastest cutting 029 290 Stihl I've run) Steve

Steven, there is no torque in an Echo. Low revs and slow plodding performance isn't torque at all, torque is a by-product of horsepower which we all agree Echos have never had.. Only been drinking coffee this morning too.. :coffee::smile-big:

361 in 16 inches of hickory

here is the vid from today. 16 inches of hickory. was doing real good until i got to almost the last cut of the log and hit some metal, needless to say it dulled the chain. put a new chain on and finished up... Now as far as the oiling. i have it set wide open and it is using 2/3 tank per tank of fuel mix and that is with the master mechanics bar oil
and yes the camera almost fell off the log...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kJ-wuoLgP64" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I ran a 520 Echo a couple of weeks ago that belonged to a friend, first echo I have run. If it's performance is a reference of other Echo's I'll have to pass, as I thought it had pizz poor performance. He had a dead stock 350 husky that would eat it's lunch. Hell a old 028 wood boss would have thrashed it. I can't imagine a well broke in 361 like mine having a 600 even run close to it. Older echo's might be alright but I wouln't pay retail for one of the newer ones. Stihl and Husky have too many superior options.

I ran a 520 Echo a couple of weeks ago that belonged to a friend, first echo I have run. If it's performance is a reference of other Echo's I'll have to pass, as I thought it had pizz poor performance. He had a dead stock 350 husky that would eat it's lunch. Hell a old 028 wood boss would have thrashed it. I can't imagine a well broke in 361 like mine having a 600 even run close to it. Older echo's might be alright but I wouln't pay retail for one of the newer ones. Stihl and Husky have too many superior options.

No way will a 350 Husky even keep close to a Echo that is tuned right, you must have run one with the limiter caps still on it with a clogged muff screen and a clogged filter and a dull chain. You saw the 08 vids the 361 and 600 were real close. I've run Stihl 026, 260 and 029 290 saws that maybe cut half as fast as my CS520 , does that mean they are all gutless as I've some that I've ran were close also. Get real. Steve

Last edited:
Steven, there is no torque in an Echo. Low revs and slow plodding performance isn't torque at all, torque is a by-product of horsepower which we all agree Echos have never had.. Only been drinking coffee this morning too.. :coffee::smile-big:

How would you explain my little CS400 cutting just a hair (15 seconds to 16 seconds) slower than my 3.8hp 029 that runs good. Steve

looks like no one noticed i put a vid of the 361 running today in hickory,,everyone is more worried about whos saw can whoops whos saws azz.. well my wifes little cs-310 can whoops everyones saw:sinister::sinister:

looks like no one noticed i put a vid of the 361 running today in hickory,,everyone is more worried about whos saw can whoops whos saws azz.. well my wifes little cs-310 can whoops everyones saw:sinister::sinister:

Righto mate, here's your 361's REAL opposition. GENUINE torque not Echo pseudo-torque! The 65cc husky/jonny, around half a pound heavier than the 60cc stihls and not as agile to flick around but will grind through fat logs all day with a nicely relaxed engine

<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ouVXcn0_LDo" frameborder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe>

had to do some cutting today and before i started i pulled the clutch cover to clean it all out,, the only thing in there was some wood chips and a bit of wood dust ,,no build up of bar oil which can be a mess.. so i guess stihl has the pump right. again it used 2/3 tank bar oil for tank of fuel mix.. no issues with b/c at all. i am happy with it

I wanna see a cs 400 beat a 026, 029 etc. I dont think it could touch them. Now i wont lie the cs 400 is a great saw and cuts pretty good. But there aint no way it can out cut saws that are 5-10ccs bigger.

Btw 08 that ms361 rips!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back