finally got to run 2 tanks through my 361 today WHAT A POS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup your exactly right....my point is the time taken for a guy to cut 8-10 cord of year with a 60cc saw vs a 70cc saw is fairly negligible imo.

It all depends on the firewood where you are. I tried to make do with a 361, but in the end I had to go 70cc. The difference between what the two saws can do in real wood is night and day. I went with an 046mag, 372xp/MS250 combo for my work.

I sold my MS361 off before I destroyed it. I started this maple with a 361, and then sold it and finished it with an 046. When you have a 70 and a 50, there is really no room for a 60 unless you just happen to like to gather saws about you. For me, they are just tools, and if I had my way, I would rather be smoking, drinking, and BBQing than sawing:

large.jpg

Last edited:
You don't! Now get back on the 090 and take down that row of cherry trees, and like it!

LOL! If you met me you wouldn't trust me to cut a fart, much less a tree! (Feel free to use that line the next time a newbie is pestering you to let them run a chainsaw)

For the minimal weight difference & the extra power, I wouldn't be surprised that folks would run a 2171/372 over a MS361.

What a POS

I say the same thing about my ms361 every time I pick it up. The difference in weight and handling between the ms361 and ms440 is so slight that if I handed you each saw, I doubt you would be able to tell unless you looked at the tag or put it into the wood. If you are just cutting firewood, you would not want to try and profit on the difference between a dolmar 5100 and a stock ms361. You could save a good amount on the purchase price. Truly an orphan saw in my book but if you like it, good on you.

well you have run 4-5 tanks of fuel through this one. its about time to think of some excuse to sell it..................

nope,,not this one,,this one is a keeper for sure, as far as i am concerned ,,,now this is my opinion and not bashing echo,, but it is more saw then any echo i have owned in the same cc class,,, so i am keeping it,, i am thinking about getting another one either new or used,, would like to find a used DOA saw in decent shape and fix it as a project saw,,, WELL :censored: i didn't think i would ever go stihl,,sorry echo,,,,but i am keeping my 370,,won't give it up,,its 1 heck of a limbing saw

I say the same thing about my ms361 every time I pick it up. The difference in weight and handling between the ms361 and ms440 is so slight that if I handed you each saw, I doubt you would be able to tell unless you looked at the tag or put it into the wood. If you are just cutting firewood, you would not want to try and profit on the difference between a dolmar 5100 and a stock ms361. You could save a good amount on the purchase price. Truly an orphan saw in my book but if you like it, good on you.

Cent you drunk or something? The man already got a 361 and loves it, he could care less about the 5100. He says his starts great. Maybe you should call him and see if he'll tell you how to start yours, who knows if you get yours started it might cut better, I'd love to see you pushing Miss Daisy back and forth across a log,LOLOLOL

Yup your exactly right....my point is the time taken for a guy to cut 8-10 cord of year with a 60cc saw vs a 70cc saw is fairly negligible imo. The reason why he likes the weight/comfort of the MS361 may very well be the same reason why you don't use your 066 for everyday firewood cutting.

This guy posts a thread talking about being happy with his saw and over 50% of the posts that follow are negative (you should have bought a 70cc saw, it isn't faster than an echo, etc.). In the end, it may not fit what our likes/dislikes go as far as displacement, brand, comfort level, etc, but he is happy with it and that was the whole point of him starting the thread.

Yeah! what he said....

now that i have it tweeked good on the carb,, it will pop on the 2nd pull cold and 1/2 pull warmed up and i don't even use the decomp valve

now that i have it tweeked good on the carb,, it will pop on the 2nd pull cold and 1/2 pull warmed up and i don't even use the decomp valve

Could you go step by step how you start that saw so Cent can learn to start his, he's abit slow except at flapping the jaws, so be detailed,hehe

my 361 always starts on the second pull, no decomp used and goes thru 1/2 tank bar oil to tank of gas. Running 1/2 c
anola and 1/2 stihl bio now. ....well actually I ain't running **** because we have about 2 feet of snow out side and all of my logs are buried!

Enjoy the 361.

my 361 always starts on the second pull, no decomp used and goes thru 1/2 tank bar oil to tank of gas. Running 1/2 c
anola and 1/2 stihl bio now. ....well actually I ain't running **** because we have about 2 feet of snow out side and all of my logs are buried!

Enjoy the 361.

i'm not running anything either,, getting cold and 40mph winds,,but no snow,,,heck it was 59 here today and it will be 30 tomorrow

Enjoy the 361.

Mine starts fine too, runs perfecto...

Cent you drunk or something? The man already got a 361 and loves it, he could care less about the 5100. He says his starts great. Maybe you should call him and see if he'll tell you how to start yours, who knows if you get yours started it might cut better, I'd love to see you pushing Miss Daisy back and forth across a log,LOLOLOL

Thomas, you old stihl hillbilly. Hows the guitar coming along?? I can just picture you strumming that 6 string, howling like some poor critter caught in a trap. Must attract all the stihl babes for miles.

No drinkin tonight. Got to get some sleep in between storms. Just killing some time when I should be catching ZZZs. Forum seems a bit lackluster as of late. Haven’t started a chainsaw in a while but snowblowers I got down to a science. Say, does stihl sell a kit to covert a ms361 into a snowblower or a snow melter?? It is supposed to do everything else. Would be a handy thing right about now.

...The difference in weight and handling between the ms361 and ms440 is so slight that if I handed you each saw, I doubt you would be able to tell unless you looked at the tag or put it into the wood.

Bollocks. Sitting in one spot cutting cookies is one thing , but spend a day out on the hill flinging an 044 around after running the smaller, lighter, more maneuverable, more economical 60cc model. You'll find out the difference then.

Could you go step by step how you start that saw so Cent can learn to start his, he's abit slow except at flapping the jaws, so be detailed,hehe

no problem,,,1st- fill teh tank with fuel mix,,2nd push down on the switch to the first postion then pull the trigger and push switch all the way down to choke,,,cent,,thats the little black switch to the left of the rear handle,, ok,,,next,,hold the top handle by your left hand,, take your right hand and grab that black plastic thingy on the left side of the saw,, it has a string tied to it.. with all you might pull that black plastic thingy with the string tieed to it as hard as you can,,just make sure that you pull until it stops,, let the black plastic thingy with the string tied to it pull itself back into the saw,,then repeat,,,it should pop,,try to start,,reach down and pull up on the black switch 1 click,,remember its located just left of the rear handle,, then repeat by pulling the black thingy that the string is tied to,,let go of the blank thingy with the string tied to it,,saw will be running,, tap the trigger located on the bottom side of the rear handle so the saw isn't screaming,, that nocks it down to idle,,let it warm up a couple of minutes then go cut some firewood,,,,,,,how was that thall,,detailed enough????? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:,,oppps forgot,,if that doesn't work mail it to me,, i will fix it,,,,sorry cent,,he made me do it:cheers:

no problem,,,1st- fill teh tank with fuel mix,,2nd push down on the switch to the first postion then pull the trigger and push switch all the way down to choke,,,cent,,thats the little black switch to the left of the rear handle,, ok,,,next,,hold the top handle by your left hand,, take your right hand and grab that black plastic thingy on the left side of the saw,, it has a string tied to it.. with all you might pull that black plastic thingy with the string tieed to it as hard as you can,,just make sure that you pull until it stops,, let the black plastic thingy with the string tied to it pull itself back into the saw,,then repeat,,,it should pop,,try to start,,reach down and pull up on the black switch 1 click,,remember its located just left of the rear handle,, then repeat by pulling the black thingy that the string is tied to,,let go of the blank thingy with the string tied to it,,saw will be running,, tap the trigger located on the bottom side of the rear handle so the saw isn't screaming,, that nocks it down to idle,,let it warm up a couple of minutes then go cut some firewood,,,,,,,how was that thall,,detailed enough????? :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::cheers:,,oppps forgot,,if that doesn't work mail it to me,, i will fix it,,,,sorry cent,,he made me do it:cheers:

Good job. I'm sure he'll let us know if it works,hahahaha

Thomas, you old stihl hillbilly. Hows the guitar coming along?? I can just picture you strumming that 6 string, howling like some poor critter caught in a trap. Must attract all the stihl babes for miles.

No drinkin tonight. Got to get some sleep in between storms. Just killing some time when I should be catching ZZZs. Forum seems a bit lackluster as of late. Haven’t started a chainsaw in a while but snowblowers I got down to a science. Say, does stihl sell a kit to covert a ms361 into a snowblower or a snow melter?? It is supposed to do everything else. Would be a handy thing right about now.

Well Cent I don't think you can convert one to a snowblower but before you do anything you gotta learn to start it,LOL

Yeah the forumn is getting alot more civil and calm. Really its ok, I kinda like it. I'm too old to be fussing and carring on all the time. I do like picking on you though,haha

I read you guys are going to get hit hard with a big storm coming your way. Stay warm and safe Cent...

I guess I'm just the opposite. I don't have a use for a 50cc or 70cc saw with this 361 I have. I use it 90% of the time. The 660 only gets used when I'm clearing fencerows to rebuild. Not brush trimming, cutting 30-40" trees for a couple thousand feet. The big saw makes it quicker.
When I'm cutting firewood, the 361 is all I need. Light enough to handle all day and strong enough to get the work done quickly.

the 361 is great saw just its in odd spot. if you need a big saw you get a big saw if you want a small saw 20" and under you look at the 50cc saws . its just odd placement. and i realy do feel for the price and performance the 361 is over rated.
however on the flip side i do have a few 60cc saws, ive got my little 034super that is mildy ported that will flat out haul the nails with the 20" bar barried and my 359 husky that ive ported, both are great saws . but they rarely getn taken to mtn because i cut alot of big wood

like this. trees like this i limb with my 026 and buck with the 066 the 440 i have is even stadning on the sidelines most the time.
_MG_8570.jpg

wifes been doing quite abit of limbing, even though alot of times i can out imb here while packn the 66
_MG_8500.jpg

my 026 is one awesome saw, this tree is right to bar tip

this saw cost me 300 maybe 350 cant rember for sure but thats quite alot cheaper then a new 361 and it was like new when i got it. i wouldnt trade this saw for any 60cc saw on the market.
_MG_5105.jpg

its only saw i have that i havent ported and it just keeps on getn er done its also the cosest to new saw that ive ever bought. i didnt even have to rebuild it to get it to run right. shined like a new penny.

just comes down to prefrence on what you cut small wood with a 50 or 60cc. most lean 60 if they think theyre wood is bigger

Last edited:
Back