Finding Locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took a trip out to look for some Locust. Saw lots, stopped talked to people. Got 4 fair possibles (I'll call you - usually means no), one good possible and one score.

The 'Locust Forest' - about 20 acres of nothing but Locust all that were planted way back when. Never saw anythign like it, I didn't see one tree of another species. Two owners. The 'good' possible was the granddaughter caretaker of a senile old man - I knew him from way back, sad sight. She _probably_ will call. Both pics of the same site - granddaughters is the 1/4 in top left of second shot.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/Bruce1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/turnkey4099/Bruce2.jpg

The Score:

Bafus1.jpg

Probably will get that to log off after harvest next year - can't get too it except through field. It is an old, abandoned house site. Can (if things don't change) take any and all locust but nothing else.

Bafus2.jpg

A small stand on the road above the house site. Could have been in there today but need to get below it - he has the access locked up - promised to open it but...

bafus3.jpg

Owners house site - he is going to remove all locust but BIL "wants some". I cut in there today but just one that was down and removed one small one near his entrance.
Need to talk to him again. He is wavering on removing all the stuff along the highway - many small, brushy trees but I would probably get a load or a bit more from all of them. Lots of work though - more brush than trees.

1/2 a load but 1/2 load locust beats the he** out of no load at all.

Harry K

he is going to remove all locust but BIL "wants some".

I wouldnt cut anything that you cant take with you at the end of the day. The BIL might help himself to some of your hard work if he knows it's down.

Might turn out OK, better safe than sorry though.

Hey nice pics turnkey you must be east of the rockies huh? I hope it works out for you btw those are some big trees.

Keep playing that stand by the road over and over. I seriously doubt the guy is going to remove the road block (he blew a hernia Saturday). May be able to rig one as a small spar and use PU to pull stuff back up the hill. May even be able to fall them up on the road by using PU to pull but I only have the width of the access road to work with there and no anchor on the up side. I got the "wants" bad. Probably cruise out the 20 miles and take another look at it. Don't want to bug him again as my permission seems to be on the 'thin edge'. If it looks feasible to rig, I will just go ahead without talking to him.

Harry K

Glad I am not the only one that is left wondering what the heck he is talking about sometimes.
Tree ordinances? What the :censored: ?

Keep playing that stand by the road over and over. I seriously doubt the guy is going to remove the road block I got the "wants" bad. Probably cruise out the 20 miles and take another look at it. Don't want to bug him again as my permission seems to be on the 'thin edge'. If it looks feasible to rig, I will just go ahead without talking to him.

Harry K

If this is what Tom trees was talking about, you really should be shot. That's called trespassing, and larceny. Maybe he changed his mind and doesn't want you there. I'd think twice bud.

If this is what Tom trees was talking about, you really should be shot. That's called trespassing, and larceny. Maybe he changed his mind and doesn't want you there. I'd think twice bud.

I currently have the permission. I am in sight and sound of his house. He is home full time. If he wants me to stop, all he has to do is walk up a 100 yards and tell me.

Harry K

Update: Found a batch of others. Called him tonight to tell him that I was putting his back until next year. He turned out to be 'eager' to get those out of there to the point of promising to yank the posts blocking access. I think my take on him being 'hesitant' about it is just due to his manner of speaking, slow and considered. We agreed that I would do them if he pulled the posts.

That plus the others I found puts me well into next year - the weather isn't going to hold here much longer and when the rain starts, cutting ends - can't get a 2x over wet ground.

Harry K

Back