Finding Rebuildable saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkyle65

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering how yall find saws to rebuild and what do you look for?

I would like to rebuild a saw but feel like its almost not worth it after all the time and money needed to invest in it

Thanks Kyle

I would like to know also. Most know what chainsaws are worth, and some think even a worn out "Wildthing" is worth $100.00. Some of it is luck.

Hey guys just wondering how yall find saws to rebuild and what do you look for?

I would like to rebuild a saw but feel like its almost not worth it after all the time and money needed to invest in it

Thanks Kyle
First you narrow down the list to saws where there's a wide offering of aftermarket parts. (hint: read the Bailey's catalog) Saws like 038's, 026's, 044's, 372XP's are good candidates.

To find the saw you just need to keep your eye's open. Craig's list, Garage/Estate sales, pawn shops, word of mouth, AS Trading Post, Nickel Ads, etc. Inspect the saws very closely whenever possible. Bring your T27 driver and pull the muffler.

Be very cautious of Ebay "parts or project saws"!! They are rarely as easy as swapping jugs. They are usually marketed as "project saws" because the previous owner has determined that repair is not cost effective. (ex: broken cases, lots of costly OEM only parts needed, bad bottom ends). However the Ebay saws get bid up pretty high because others think they can rebuild them cheaply - they usually can't once they get them!!

Last edited:
Dealers sometimes have old saws that weren't picked up. Besides that, look in pawn shops or small engine repair shops. If you're serious about finding saws, carry either a compression tester or tools with you to remove the muffler for piston/cylinder inspection. My latest find was from a Stihl dealer. I picked up a complete 70cc Solo saw in great shape (waiting on carb kit) and a Mac 15 (more of a collectors item) for a grand total of $25 for both.

You have to ask the question, "Is the saw for me or for resale?" In my opinion, if it's for you, then a piston cylinder replacement may be worth your time. If your looking to resale it's not.

My Jred 2036, Stihl 017, Homelite 240, and Mac 10-10 were all yard sale specials.

I always remember the one that got away, though, an MS 440 low hours saw. Guy had 2, the one for sale was from a recently deceased friend he bought off the widow. I only had half of the $125 he was asking to make his $$ back. No ATM anywhere for miles and miles. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry::cry:

Last edited:
Dealers sometimes have old saws that weren't picked up....

I've never once seen a used saw or "bone yard" saw pile for sale at a dealer.

Dealer's must accumulate tons of old saws as part of normal business. (ex: Customer says don't bother fixing it, forgets to pick it up, etc, etc.)

What do dealer's typically do with their "bone yard" saws?? Ebay??? It sure seems like they try and keep them off the shelves in order to sell shiny new ones.

You go to the wrong dealers.

Dealer's must accumulate tons of old saws as part of normal business. (ex: Customer says don't bother fixing it, forgets to pick it up, etc, etc.)

What do dealer's typically do with their "bone yard" saws?? Ebay??? It sure seems like they try and keep them off the shelves in order to sell shiny new ones.

Yup wrong dealers

Your know, Dave, you're right. The 2 saws I got from that Stihl dealer were the only ones I ever found. So it was an aberration. I stand corrected. Every other dealer I've been to has quickly and EMPHATICALLY said NO! But in my mind I'm thinking he's got to have some old saws back there. But then, it's understandable. Selling new saws is his bread-n-butter.

Yard sales and craigslist.

Yep... plus word of mouth... all my buddies know that I am into old saws. So they are always on the lookout for old saws. I have come home sometimes to a note on my door sayin' "Check the back porch..." Where they leave saws they have found for me. Some are hunks of junk... some are jewels, some are diamonds in the rough... best part is they are all for the most part freebies. :)

Let your buddies know...

Gary

Usually I end up with project saws by buying saws off of Ebay, the ones that say,"RUNS AWESOME, READY TO CUT". Usually they can be salvaged, although sometimes not.

Sorry couldn't resist.

They usually find me! The saws I rebuilt were either given for free, a trade for something else I was given for free, or bought for a VERY small sum of money (maybe $10). If you're looking at it from the point of time and money involved, you'll be further ahead to buy a new or running saw for the most part. If you just want a project for your time, and to wind up with a saw your own hands rebuilt, you can come out okay if you don't spend much to begin with.

My experience is a lot like GASoline71 has posted a couple posts before me in that a lot of my rebuilders are found by my friends and others through yard / garage sales and some from local repair shops, you just have to get out there and beat the bushes. Some of my most recent projects have been the 5 MS440`s and 044`s that I picked up as a lot for $125. They all required some work and for a total of $125 +$327.30 in parts and pieces I have them all working and cutting wood, but have a lot of hours of time invested as well but it is my hobby and I don`t do it for profit. The collection just keeps getting bigger and I am now building an 026 that my buddy found for me, cost me $5. for the saw and bought a used muffler and a new air filter for $45. and now have a great little saw for a total cost of $50. The saw has 165 lbs cold compression and runs and cuts A1. My next projects include a box containing 5 Jonsereds that were dropped off for me on my doorstep with a note reading "needs a new home" but all of them need pistons and rings ,2 will need new cyls. as well plus watever else is missing or found defective. So in some cases you can find good reasonable rebuilders if you want them for your own use or collection but if you count your time invested you would not make much money on the project saws. IMO
Pioneerguy600

djkyle65 (Kyle), thanks for starting this thread. Good info. Here's a classic AS line that I'll type: "I don't need another saw, but..." :) . True in my case, but I'd like to maybe find a 'minor' rebuild(s) to fix up properly to resell on ebay. My wife has been "garage sale'n" lately and I've asked her to keep her eyes open for saws. My 044 started as a non-runner that needed a lot of TLC, but I knew I would keep it so I probably put more money in it than I should have. Money is tight right now, so any saw (rebuild or running) that follows me home, needs to be resold.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back