fire damage yellow pines? 24"+

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklt040

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey fellas
my boss has about 7-8 yellow pines that got burnt in a forest fire. Actually what happened was his son and grandkids were out camping on some of his land and they had a campfire that they didnt put out all the way. yea the fire got out and it was a pretty big/hot fire, burnt up a good 2 acres of pines poplars and oaks. The pines that I have in question here are on average 75' tall and 24" around some bigger some alittle smaller. Good saw timber. The fire was about 18 months ago. I went and looked at them after work today and one of them had the bark coming off and it seemed as solid as a rock, some others I tried to pull the bark off and I could not get it off. I was wondering if any of yall though this would be good mill wood after being standing dead for over a year. Remember I am in SE Georgia. Rather humid here. Thanks for your replys.

Shouldn't be a problem.Pine is soft wood.The oak should be ok too_One year isn't alot for standing timber.:popcorn:

Around here the one thing to watch for in forest fire wood or pine beetle killed wood are cracks that run from the center of the tree out and up and down. If the cracks are to deep and to many when you cut lumber you will end up with boards with splits in them. I have been in a burn area in the summer time and you can here the trees cracking and splitting.

The way you are talking this does not sound like a problem.

I would cut em up.:chainsaw:

Thanks fellas
I figured they would be okay too. I just didnt want to haul all my stuff out there and be dissapointed with shabby slabbs.

Latest posts

Back