Fire starter debate

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I have to burn is mostly Pine & Fir, so I have to be real careful about starting it with scrap lumber, it might cause a build up in my flue. :laugh:

When the kids were still living at home I made a concoction so they could start fires easily. I took one of the old metal coffee cans and filled it with ash, then added kerosine until I had a paste. A couple of spoonfull's and a match = instant fire. When kerosine prices went outa sight I switched over to diesel. The odor was a little more offensive to some, but only while the lid was off the can.

Ok, I might be a redneck.

Andy

speaking of Aromatic I used a bottle of tanning oil one time man that was good smelling smoked. It work GREAT by the way. LOL

All I have to burn is mostly Pine & Fir, so I have to be real careful about starting it with scrap lumber, it might cause a build up in my flue. :laugh:

When the kids were still living at home I made a concoction so they could start fires easily. I took one of the old metal coffee cans and filled it with ash, then added kerosine until I had a paste. A couple of spoonfull's and a match = instant fire. When kerosine prices went outa sight I switched over to diesel. The odor was a little more offensive to some, but only while the lid was off the can.

Ok, I might be a redneck.

Andy
you need to send that to him,as another redneck joke--jeff foxworthy--:greenchainsaw:

Small empty boxes, stuffed...

I received a few small boxes of meat from Omaha Steaks for gifts during the holiday season. When empty, I pack one them with tinder--sawdust, chips, shavings, etc. Then I use that concoction to light the stove in the morning, wrapped in newspaper.

Works great and so do stuffed potato chip canisters, such as Pringles and Stax.

Man you guys are eating good, mail order steaks! I had a PB&J for dinner today and I'm still waiting for the closeout on Christmas cards, I step on em and then send em to make it look like they were lost in the system...lol

Whatever!!!

I use whatever I can find, pine cones, limbs that have fallen during the prior winter, split cedar into kindling, old 2 by 8 redwood decking. If the chimney gets dirty.. one just cleans it.. It's kinda like dishes you can lick them clean but at some point ya got to send them through the dishwasher.

I use whatever I can find, pine cones, limbs that have fallen during the prior winter, split cedar into kindling, old 2 by 8 redwood decking. If the chimney gets dirty.. one just cleans it.. It's kinda like dishes you can lick them clean but at some point ya got to send them through the dishwasher.

Or at least put 'em on the floor for the kitty to "shine!" We don't put 'em down for the dawg, Ol' Sarge, 'cause he is always licking his "privates".......

Now that's yucky, I don't care who ya are! :biggrinbounce2:

Dryer Lint for tender

The propane torch is a very good, economical tool for starting fires. I used a torch on the same cylinder for what seemed like months of fire starting.

I also like to use lint from the dryer. Havn't heard anyone say that yet, but it is a darn great tender, very flammable. We keep a bag next to the dryer, and since we clean the lint screen on the dryer everyday, the bag usually stays full of lint. Now that's what i call recycling!:dizzy:

I use the fire starters also. The wife was hard as heck on the cedar kindling. A shot glass size piece of the wax/sawdust fire starter and I'm good to go. 10 or 20 bucks a year. No more kindling or newspaper. ymmv.
Dan.

My original point for using cutoffs is I pay alot for good lumber, when I see 2x12 pieces on the ground, that is money to me and at least by burning them I get something back(heat)

I use the fire starters also. The wife was hard as heck on the cedar kindling. A shot glass size piece of the wax/sawdust fire starter and I'm good to go. 10 or 20 bucks a year. No more kindling or newspaper. ymmv.
Dan.

10 to 20 bucks sounds like to much money for me for free heat.lol. I was frustated at one point with not enough dry wood,but I guess I learned something from then trying to burn wet wood.

Also, Please don't tell them but if the kids aren't around to see, I use there extra abundance of crayoned drawings that don't go on the wall.The wax makes them burn much better than regular newspaper.

The propane torch is a very good, economical tool for starting fires. I used a torch on the same cylinder for what seemed like months of fire starting.

I also like to use lint from the dryer. Havn't heard anyone say that yet, but it is a darn great tender, very flammable. We keep a bag next to the dryer, and since we clean the lint screen on the dryer everyday, the bag usually stays full of lint. Now that's what i call recycling!:dizzy:

I have an adapter that allows me to refill small propane cylinders from 20# LPG bottles. This small quantity of propane is nearly cost free. The only restriction is not carrying refilled cylinders across state lines.

This reminds me that it is time for me to clean the lint from the AL pipe going from the dryer located in the center of my house to the outside vent on the rear side of my house. A gas or electric leaf blower works great for cleaning out dryer vents.

My family has lived in the same house with the same chimney since 1932 and everything from newpaper and telephone pole kindling to kindling soaked in a can of used oil is what we have used for most of those years. The chimney has never been cleaned since it was built (that anyone knows of or remembers), and there has never been any issues whatsoever.

Not saying its right, but thats what has been done,

Sam

you got to be kidding me--for real???

Yep.. I saw that on the way back from the in-laws in Illinois and had to dig out the camera and snap a pic. I showed that to my wife and she said that they call the game wardens there "Conservation Police".

Ian

Yep.. I saw that on the way back from the in-laws in Illinois and had to dig out the camera and snap a pic. I showed that to my wife and she said that they call the game wardens there "Conservation Police".

Ian

What is IL conserving? ACORN and Organized Crime in Chicago?

Back