Fire Starters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdc123

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been using fatwood sticks that you buy for the last couple of years. When I can find it I bust up my own fatwood. Wondered what ya'll use, besides kindling and newspaper.

I just use a small 1/2" sq. piece of Starterlogg and lay it between two splits near the top of the load. I have to start a lot from scratch since I don't normally need a continuous burn and they are cheap, reliable and quick.

Amish slabwood works great for me, but our winters are usually cold enough where you light a fire in october and don't have to light another one till march or april.

I have a local paddle making company that sells off large onion bags full of cut-off pine, cherry and ash for $4 a bag. I also know where to get some spruce kiln-dried 1x6 crating cut-offs from a local manufacturer near me.
All great to start fires with.

I also use small pieces of StarterLogg.

If I have time, the ol' Boy Scout in me enjoys the challenge of using whatever is handy--splitter droppings, small pine splits, birthday cake candles, et al. I've even come close to achieving the elusive bellybutton lint fire. The quest continues....

Cheap and easy!

I use Rutland "Safe-Lite" Fire Starter Squares. They come in a box of 144 for about $13-$14. That's just under 10 cents each. It only takes one to start a fire. I usually get them at Ace Hardware, but it looks like TSC also carries them:

Rutland® Safe Lite™ Fire Starter Squares, Pack of 144 - 3198454 | Tractor Supply Company

They are made from paraffin, wood waste and old newspapers, and are very easy to use.

I also have tried Super Cedar firestarters, which are made from paraffin and cedar wood waste. With the Super Cedars you have to break them into quarters to keep the cost down, but even then they cost more than the Rutland fire starters. The Super Cedars are also a bit harder to use because of the need to break them up into quarters.

All of these paraffin-based fire starters work well. They save a lot of time and effort relative to the "old fashioned" approach of newspaper and kindling.

Doug

Oh.... this topic again... OK, I'll bite.
A squirt of mixed used oil and diesel fuel onto a wad of lint from the cloths dryer and a Bic lighter... Presto!

And I'll say it again...
Real men use an accelerant and a Bic Lighter.

Kindling? That's for Cub Scouts. I ain't gonna' screw around rubbin' two sticks together... it's the 21st century don't ya' know?

I get a box of the 2"x4"x1" fire starter blocks and break them in half. One piece like this is enough to get most any size log started. The trick is to position the log above the starter but not smother it. Wifey ends up restarting the fire quite often and this method is easy for her.

Whatever kindling happens to be laying around. Construction scraps, bark, splitter trash, combined wath a propane torch, makes a fool proof firestarter. If you have some pine or lesser hardwoods then the kindling isnt really even necessary. A bottle of propane lasts me almost two seasons.

I've kept a bunch of cut off tongue and groove pine pieces around from finishing off my basement. A bit of newspaper and 2 cut offs is all thats needed to gets things going in a hurry. I like the pine because its only 3/4" thick which lights faster than a cut off 2x4.

I fill the stove with large pieces of wood then I sit down on a stool in front of the stove and glare at the wood until it combusts. I've been doing it this way now for a few years. Works every time.

Supercedars----take one round and quarter it---1/4 is plenty to get a fire ripping even with no kindling.

+1 on Supercedars. I could put large splits in with a whole one and start a great fire in no time. These things are great. If you have some smaller splits, 1/4 of one is plenty. Makes it real easy for my wife to start the fire if I'm not home. I keep a bunch in the truck as part of my just in case box....

Grizzly Firestarters Home Page

I use these products and they are GREAT! I don't mess with kindling or newspaper. These are waterproof (great for keeping in the truck for camping) and they burn for over 20 minutes. If you have a couple large, dry seasoned logs and light the end of it....your done. :blob2:

I use the Rutland Fire Starters that I got at Tractor Supply. With the OWB I only need to start the fire after I empty it to clean out the ashes once a month - so I have had the same box of these firestarters for the last 3 years.

They also work great to get the Swedish Candles going if you make them.

I have planned on making some of my own firestarters from old candles, egg cartons and lint or sawdust - I just haven't got around to doing it yet as I still have my 3 year old box of firestarters around.

Thanks for all the replies. A few products mentioned that I'd never heard of. The fatwood works fine for me but if I find some of these other ones at a good price I'll give them a try.

They are made from paraffin

Paraffin?

I hate to be" that guy" but paraffin wax is the final byproduct in the petroleum refining chain and is basically the " Bottom of the barrel", even after asphalt is extracted.

It is the substance left over after producing many of the other common petroleum products such as gas, oils,
pavement, etc.

This grayish black -sludge crud is then bleached with 100% strength bleach (creating dioxins, which are toxic), while we only use 10% bleach in our laundry. This white ooze is then processed into 'solid' paraffin using various, carcinogenic, solidifying chemicals, a common one is called acrolyn.

Paraffin wax is then sold to many very nice companies and people who add various other 'texturizing' chemicals, article dyes for color and synthetic fragrances. Further paraffin wax contain volatile organic compounds formaldehyde and vinyl chloride and produce human carcinogens benzene and toluene WHEN BURNED.

Yeah Yeah, I know I know, I'm inhaling 2 stroke exhaust on a semi regular basis, but come on.

Latest posts

Back