Fire up the #### spreader!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about peaches and cream sweet corn this year... Anyone ever have it?

No, plant it and see. I've had really good sweet corn about twice from my garden, seems like it needs a bigger patch than I usually plant to do really well, and for me, its easier to buy it roadside than to plant, kinda like the rest of the garden, actually.

Try planting any garden here right now and you will be wasting your time. Ground is way to cold, stuff would just rot. Supposed to starting warming up but will also bring rain with it which is fine.

Thats what we like to hear.

In the town I live in, (where we are paying for sewer and water for 125 new lots put in 5 years ago, and there is now 6 houses in the development), watering a garden would drive me to the poor house. For the two of us, the water bill is usually around/over $100 a month. Thats only for water and sewer, and I quit using the softener a while back. That cut the bill by about $30.

I can get a dozen ears from the canning factory stand (Seneca/Green Giant) in town for $5 after the first of August. The farmer I worked for in high school plants about 3-4 acres of it, and its really good stuff for $6 a dozen, 10 miles from me. I drive through another town where there is another canning factory to and from work, hauled sweet corn silage from yet another plant near here last year, and before that hauled rock from a quarry that was surrounded by irrigated ground where the second crop was sweet corn, after peas. And we had a few meals from the boss, who planted a half acre and had a really good crop, that was Pioneer bi-colored candy.

Plenty of fresh veggies near here.

what did the farmer say when his dog died?

:popcorn:

BTW, Kennebec was developed by the USDA in the forties when all was great guns for that victory garden movement. That's still gotta be the best all around Irish potato. If you can find, "Green Mountain," you can do a little better. Those are real hard to get in the Midwest. Maine Certified seed potato is the best in the world.

It was 16f this morning but should be nice the next 10 days if the weather is correct.

Gonna be the end of May before I plant anything, unless there's some sorta weather revelation :msp_unsure:

They are saying that once this massive Atlantic storm, stuck in the Omega blocking pattern, moves away that our weather will improve. The wind is drying us out fast up here for sure . Snow is going fast. Hope is in sight!

Sweet looking tiller. Sure puts my old faithful Troy-Bilt to shame . She's almost through her 2nd set of tines and still starts second pull. Think I need me a BCS though before CAD strikes again.

Last years' load of DSS poop, and muh Ariens tiller :rock:

attachment.php

I have been very impressed with my Horse too - never had a problem with it other than the shift cable. I haven't been very nice to it either but it has tilled many a mile.

Back