Fire Wood Needed!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firefighter400

Reaction score
Hi my name is Cody i need as much fire wood i can get my hands on i would like free if its all possible left from like tree trimmers or just someone trying to get rid of it. I live in Alexandria Ky i would like to keep my travel time as close to home as possible please. 859-486-1800 is my cell if you need to get a hold of me i'll even come pick it up to please just someone help me i gotta heat my house somehow and i'm trying this please.

Think you waited long enough to go looking for wood?

Can i bring you the wood, cut it, and stack it for you too. Not to knock you but its a little late to be asking for FREE hand outs when most of the guys on here did this all summer. Good luck bro

pallets and such like

Hi my name is Cody i need as much fire wood i can get my hands on i would like free if its all possible left from like tree trimmers or just someone trying to get rid of it. I live in Alexandria Ky i would like to keep my travel time as close to home as possible please. 859-486-1800 is my cell if you need to get a hold of me i'll even come pick it up to please just someone help me i gotta heat my house somehow and i'm trying this please.

You can scrounge pallets and burn them, along with construction scraps, anything non pressure treated. I don't know the status of scrounging in your local forests, but smaller diameter deadfall on the ground already with the bark off can be cut to size, split, and might be ready real dang soon that way. Bark still on standing dead..sorta too late unless it is the real small diameter stuff. You can also contact the professional firewood sellers local to you and ask them for a deal on their odd cuts and chunks and less desirable species of wood, perhaps you might could get a big discount, especially if you will go pick it up.

A lot of people east of the mississippi don't burn pine, based on the old wives tale urban rural whatever legend that one stick of pine is a guaranteed chimney fire and your house will burn down. Of course that is ridiculous nonsense, so look for free pine any place you can.

The greener the wood you scrounge now already into heating season, the smaller you must make your splits. If that means you have to get up three times a night to feed the heater, ya gotta do it. I mean, that's reality.

Do NOT try to make burning smoldering greenish wood "last" in your heater by closing down the damper and air intake. Now THAT is a good way to have a chimney fire.

Once you have some wood up that is working, dry enough to burn good, stack as much as possible of the next load you will be burning right inside close to the heater, to give it extra drying time. Try to keep as many days in advance as you can. I keep 2-3 days in advance stacked right behind our heater, and my wood is seasoned. It still makes a difference, gets that last little bit of outside humidity moisture out of the wood before it burns.

Forget using a damper trying to burn marginal still greenish wood, it won't work, keep the air draft open and burn as hot as possible and just put up with it. If you don't, ya, it might burn, but won't throw much heat and you'll creosote up everything , real fast. I mean quick.

I have been in the same predicament you are in, moving into a new place at the beginning of heating season, no wood, and did all ^ of the above....and try doing that when all you have for transportation is a ten speed bicycle...or just your feet. I had to heat one winter in an intown apartment old fireplace because the radiator only worked every other alternate blue moon tuesday. I found all sorts of stuff to burn, all sorts of pallets and wooden crates behind supermarkets and such like. Old busted furniture people were throwing out, bust all the wood legs and arms and backs off and burnt that. You do what ya gotta do. I burnt tightly rolled up newspapers. No real garbage, just real off the wall bits of cellulose/wood stuff material.

Deadfall branches in the woods are the best you can scrounge short of the firewood guys off cuts and odd pieces. Even wet, they will dry out real fast given half a chance. Not real fresh deadfalls, something that has been laying around since at least last summer, you can tell, check the bark, loose and falling off, good enough. Heck's windchimes, ask some farmers or woodlot owners if you can clean up, not take big trees, not drop trees, just clean up their woods. Take any species you can find, it'll all burn. Wood species snob=always pay a premium and have a harder and harder time to find wood. You don't even need a saw or axe, I have burned cumulative cords in my life scrounging firewood with my hands and boots, stomping, breaking, etc, to size.

If you got pallet wood to start a fire, it's good nice dry fast stuff, burns hot, you can throw marginal tree chunk pieces on it and it'll work, it gets them going good.

Back to the firewood guys, ask them for a swap, grunt labor for firewood chunks, those oddball pieces they get! Can't hurt, and they always got grunt work a-plenty, but maybe not cash, see, a barter deal? Not "free" all the way, but no cash involved, so makes it sorta easier for both parties concerned.

Been a lot of years now, but last time I crossed KY I noticed both sides of the road..lotta trees out there. Seems like if you are dedicated and motivated enough you can scrounge all ya might need. Just get creative about it...

My relatives told me stories about the great depression when everyone who wasn't a fatcat was dirt poor.. My rural relatives on heating with wood and using bucksaws and crosscuts and mules, my urban relatives about walking the railroad tracks and finding free little pieces of coal to bring home.

If you are motivated enough, you can find stuff to heat with.

You can scrounge pallets and burn them, along with construction scraps, anything non pressure treated. I don't know the status of scrounging in your local forests, but smaller diameter deadfall on the ground already with the bark off can be cut to size, split, and might be ready real dang soon that way. Bark still on standing dead..sorta too late unless it is the real small diameter stuff. You can also contact the professional firewood sellers local to you and ask them for a deal on their odd cuts and chunks and less desirable species of wood, perhaps you might could get a big discount, especially if you will go pick it up.

A lot of people east of the mississippi don't burn pine, based on the old wives tale urban rural whatever legend that one stick of pine is a guaranteed chimney fire and your house will burn down. Of course that is ridiculous nonsense, so look for free pine any place you can.

The greener the wood you scrounge now already into heating season, the smaller you must make your splits. If that means you have to get up three times a night to feed the heater, ya gotta do it. I mean, that's reality.

Do NOT try to make burning smoldering greenish wood "last" in your heater by closing down the damper and air intake. Now THAT is a good way to have a chimney fire.

Once you have some wood up that is working, dry enough to burn good, stack as much as possible of the next load you will be burning right inside close to the heater, to give it extra drying time. Try to keep as many days in advance as you can. I keep 2-3 days in advance stacked right behind our heater, and my wood is seasoned. It still makes a difference, gets that last little bit of outside humidity moisture out of the wood before it burns.

Forget using a damper trying to burn marginal still greenish wood, it won't work, keep the air draft open and burn as hot as possible and just put up with it. If you don't, ya, it might burn, but won't throw much heat and you'll creosote up everything , real fast. I mean quick.

I have been in the same predicament you are in, moving into a new place at the beginning of heating season, no wood, and did all ^ of the above....and try doing that when all you have for transportation is a ten speed bicycle...or just your feet. I had to heat one winter in an intown apartment old fireplace because the radiator only worked every other alternate blue moon tuesday. I found all sorts of stuff to burn, all sorts of pallets and wooden crates behind supermarkets and such like. Old busted furniture people were throwing out, bust all the wood legs and arms and backs off and burnt that. You do what ya gotta do. I burnt tightly rolled up newspapers. No real garbage, just real off the wall bits of cellulose/wood stuff material.

Deadfall branches in the woods are the best you can scrounge short of the firewood guys off cuts and odd pieces. Even wet, they will dry out real fast given half a chance. Not real fresh deadfalls, something that has been laying around since at least last summer, you can tell, check the bark, loose and falling off, good enough. Heck's windchimes, ask some farmers or woodlot owners if you can clean up, not take big trees, not drop trees, just clean up their woods. Take any species you can find, it'll all burn. Wood species snob=always pay a premium and have a harder and harder time to find wood. You don't even need a saw or axe, I have burned cumulative cords in my life scrounging firewood with my hands and boots, stomping, breaking, etc, to size.

If you got pallet wood to start a fire, it's good nice dry fast stuff, burns hot, you can throw marginal tree chunk pieces on it and it'll work, it gets them going good.

Back to the firewood guys, ask them for a swap, grunt labor for firewood chunks, those oddball pieces they get! Can't hurt, and they always got grunt work a-plenty, but maybe not cash, see, a barter deal? Not "free" all the way, but no cash involved, so makes it sorta easier for both parties concerned.

Been a lot of years now, but last time I crossed KY I noticed both sides of the road..lotta trees out there. Seems like if you are dedicated and motivated enough you can scrounge all ya might need. Just get creative about it...

My relatives told me stories about the great depression when everyone who wasn't a fatcat was dirt poor.. My rural relatives on heating with wood and using bucksaws and crosscuts and mules, my urban relatives about walking the railroad tracks and finding free little pieces of coal to bring home.

If you are motivated enough, you can find stuff to heat with.

Good post. All true. I heat completely with cast offs from a tree service. All the big knobby chunks that would take them too long to process. They even deliver it.

Everything will burn. I throw nothing away. I cut up about a cord and a half of 4''x 4'' stickers from underneath skids of sewer pipe a while back. It saves the good wood for cold weather.

I have so much that I gave a co-worker about 8 full cords this summer. Get out and scrounge. Good luck.

I can only wish you good luck. If you are burning wood it is a year around proposition to fill your shed with an adequate amount of wood for the winter. While you may find some wood, possibly even for free, but the question is whether it is seasoned and burnable this year.

try posting this same add in your local craigslist or kijiji you will have much better luck. be sure to cut and split any wood you get as soon as possible so it will be ready for next year. Now for this year try and find some standing dead ash if possible and find a good supply of hardwood pallets to help get you through your first season. good luck

Check your local sawmills. One close to me sells odd chunks and slabs for $5 a pickup load. It alwasy varies as is leftover from whatever they are cutting but a lot of folks here get it. I've hauled a bit for me over the years. Why are you in this predicament? I see you are a firefighter, you guys are always pretty tiight, anyone at the station to help out?

Drive around your neighborhood and see who has woodpiles. Then sneak in at night with your wheelbarrow and take as much as you can. They won't mind. It's a secret among us woodburners that we all share and share alike, but the fun part is sneaking it at night. Any gunshots you might happen to hear are all part of the fun. Dogs too. Enjoy!

Drive around your neighborhood and see who has woodpiles. Then sneak in at night with your wheelbarrow and take as much as you can. They won't mind. It's a secret among us woodburners that we all share and share alike, but the fun part is sneaking it at night. Any gunshots you might happen to hear are all part of the fun. Dogs too. Enjoy!

I guess we know where your wood pile came from, eh?...

worse comes to worse cruise the trash route and pick up old furniture. burn anything that hasnt been stained, finished or painted. Im sure you could find an old table, bed or dresser somewhere.
Like the guys said hit up your warehouse districts. They should have some pallets and wood scraps laying around

Good luck to ya
Jeff

I cut and or maul split nearly every day for at least 15 minutes during 2010 and early 2011. I have found the results of this to be pretty damn hardcore frankly. I ain't shivering.:D

I guess we know where your wood pile came from, eh?...

Yep.

He follows them around with a camera, then stops 'em and says if they don't load it all into the back of his pickup he's calling the cops. :tongue2: Work smarter, not harder.

Back