Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little brush fire just out side town this morning, one DNR truck responded and dealt with it, Curious to see how it started as it was in a fairly hard to get to spot, and not really noticeable from any main roads until it got going... and near a park type thing...

I've spent ALL DAY on the phone and radio talking to dispatch, police, structure, public affairs, etc about a fire that we've had contained for weeks but which is nonetheless pouring smoke under the overnight inversion into the valley below and then lifting a fat column visible from the freeway during the day. I have told the same story dozens of times: "it's contained, there are no further actions we can safely take due to UXO hazard, risk of spread is near-zero, smoke is a nuisance but not a hazard". Yesterday was a weird one; had an excavator show up unexpected to bump over burning snags, then we burned out a patch while the dozer cut a line around a spot fire, then we cut hazards and chased spots til dark. Day before? 2 different burnouts. Before that I lose track. Pretty busy season so far. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

A sketchy one from yesterday.

Demobe in the a.m.

a242370ff2ff37ae87f1a5452fcef40c.jpg
You should post this image in the chainsaw thread and ask for advice on the next one. We could use a good laugh.

Terrible pics! Your stumpshot wasn't high enough, the face was too deep, your chips were too small so your chain was dull, wrong air filter, and the bar was too long. And for god's sake what oil were you running? That piston looks dry!

Can you tell I've been spending time in the chainsaw forum?

Terrible pics! Your stumpshot wasn't high enough, the face was too deep, your chips were too small so your chain was dull, wrong air filter, and the bar was too long. And for god's sake what oil were you running? That piston looks dry!

Can you tell I've been spending time in the chainsaw forum?

I'mma go sulk a bit now.

Weird. Both species usually make it if their bark is thick enough. My guess is that your pondys were younger.
Nope, cat faces were making them vulnerable. There were some oldies.

But it was strange because Pondy's are know for their fire resistance.

I've been listening to Colvin Creek on my radio, sounds like they are feeling they made progress. AA did ask for the VLAT but it didn't get filled, so not over yet. Cooler with some humidity the next few days/week will help them out. We had crews helping with another local Fire (Big Creek), think that went to patrol yesterday. Sent a crew to Blue Creek. We are at 16 days billed for our rigs already. If I had more staff available, It could have been higher. And it's still two weeks until August...

I'm not available because of vacation. If I don't take it now, I will run over my allowed hours in September.

Latest posts

Back