Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Panther Fire General Information

This is on SPI ground and close to two major drainages.

Word tell is, 'they' are forecasting a bad fire year for AZ/UT, Central OR, E. WA, and So Cal.

We're now moving from record setting cold to end April & start May, to above average temps in the 70°'s. How long those temps last, who knows?

Last year, we went some 52 days in a row with no moisture. . . No natural weather events to spark any fires though. Down south was a different story.

I just got home and a friend called and asked about a fire. I went to the most reliable source for our backwoods place, a blog. This is very close to home! We had a day of very gusty wind here.

Breaking news: Large brush fire burning south of Glenoma
Saturday, May 4, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Looking toward Dog Mountain from Falls Road. / Courtesy photo by Miriam DeShasier

Updated at 7:09 p.m. and 8:33 p.m.

By Sharyn L. Decker
Lewis County Sirens news reporter

A large wind-fueled wildfire that started east of Morton this afternoon has spread and is still growing.

Seven fire departments plus firefighters from the state department of Natural Resources are on the scene on Dog Mountain, at the east end of Riffe Lake.

Various reports have suggested the blaze is as large as 200 to 700 acres, but a spokesperson from DNR said the fire was within a 100-acre perimeter but very patchy and spotty.

Only about 10 acres is actually fire, Karen Ripley of DNR said after speaking with the incident commander about 7 p.m.

“There’s a lot of fuel in the area, but not a lot of it has dried out” Ripley said.

Ripley said the Dog Mountain Fire on land owned by Port Blakely is in an area both recently logged and with 8-year-old trees.

Lt. Laura Hanson from Lewis County Fire District 5 said the initial call came in at 1:22 p.m. More than 50 firefighters are working the fire, according to Hanson.

The Taidnapam Park area has been evacuated, but no structures are threatened, according to Hanson.

The incident commander told Ripley the wind is beginning to die down.

Dog Mountain, just south of Glenoma, is known as a favorite spot for hang gliders.

Miriam DeShasier, who lives in Glenoma, took a drive down Falls Road this afternoon and said it appears the east side of Dog Mountain was burning.

“A lot of the smoke is gone from the area now,” DeShasier said this evening.

Got this forwarded to me in an email this morning from a USFS friend. Some of you fire guys have probably already seen it. But it has good information, even if you aren't a wildland firefighter.

Stay cool and safe!

Heat Related Illness - 2013 Refresher
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s0bMrQANY-E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's early enough in the season that WA isn't listed at all on Inciweb, yet here we have two ICT3 fires, with almost 200 crewmembers committed.

And then there's this:

Fire Weather Forecast for WAZ657

FNUS56 KSEW 031547
FWFSEW

FIRE WEATHER PLANNING FORECAST FOR WESTERN WASHINGTON
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SEATTLE WA
847 AM PDT FRI MAY 3 2013

...UNSEASONABLY WARM AND DRY THROUGH THIS WEEKEND...

.DISCUSSION....AN UPPER RIDGE WILL BRING DRY WEATHER WITH A WARMING
TREND THROUGH THE WEEKEND. WEAK ONSHORE FLOW WILL DEVELOP EARLY NEXT
WEEK FOR A BIT OF COOLING. DESPITE A LITTLE COOLING ON MONDAY AND
TUESDAY...ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES WILL LIKELY CONTINUE THROUGH
NEXT WEEK. NO RAIN IS EXPECTED FOR THE NEXT 7 DAYS.

FORECAST FOR 20 FOOT WIND SPEED (VALLEYS AND RIDGE TOPS) ARE 10
MINUTE AVERAGES REFLECTING RAWS WINDS.

WAZ654>657-032330-
WESTERN WASHINGTON FIRE WEATHER ZONES 654-655-656-657
AREA 4...INTERIOR LOWLANDS-
847 AM PDT FRI MAY 3 2013

.TODAY...
* SKY/WEATHER..........SUNNY.
* CHANCE OF PRECIP.....0%.
* MAX TEMPERATURE......67-77.
* MIN HUMIDITY.........24-39 PERCENT.
* 20-FOOT WINDS........NORTH WINDS 3 TO 8 MPH.
* MIXING HEIGHT........2500-3500 FT AGL.
* TRANSPORT WINDS......NORTH AROUND 10 MPH.

.TONIGHT...
* SKY/WEATHER..........CLEAR.
* MIN TEMPERATURE......38-48.
* MAX HUMIDITY.........72-87 PERCENT.
* 20-FOOT WINDS........NORTHEAST WINDS 4 TO 7 MPH.
* MIXING HEIGHT........300-1200 FT AGL.
* TRANSPORT WINDS......NORTH AROUND 10 MPH.

.SATURDAY...
* SKY/WEATHER..........SUNNY.
* MAX TEMPERATURE......69-79.
* MIN HUMIDITY.........20-35 PERCENT.
* 20-FOOT WINDS........NORTHEAST WINDS 4 TO 7 MPH.
* MIXING HEIGHT........2700 FT AGL INCREASING TO 7500 FT AGL IN THE
AFTERNOON.
* TRANSPORT WINDS......NORTHEAST 10 TO 15 MPH.

It's not too late to have a wet June. It is, however, a very bad start to a fire season in an especially-bad budget-crunch year. I'm kind of curious how DNR managed to scramble that large a crew this early. I'm guessing convict crews? Most of the Type 2 handcrew types are still in school.

Northern California here...we have had several starts. All of them are either arson or marijuana growers burning slashings from prepping their grow areas. In Humboldt County they do nothing if its private lands...Pot itself might be argued as to good versus harm, but the growing techniques used, the people it draws to our communities, and the environmental damage is gross.

What they do to the lands to grow far exceeds anything USFS or Private Timber is allowed to do. Funny the very people who tried to stop logging and said grow hemp are now destroying the lands even worse than logging. They are actually logging more acres to grow dope than they let the USFS cut. Get on GOOGLE Earth and looks at the grows and green houses in the hills near Willow Creek California and Dinsmore California....

Both used to be logging towns, but now just dope. All see Weed Country and Pot Cops....almost all shot there.

It's not too late to have a wet June. It is, however, a very bad start to a fire season in an especially-bad budget-crunch year. I'm kind of curious how DNR managed to scramble that large a crew this early. I'm guessing convict crews? Most of the Type 2 handcrew types are still in school.

The Dog Mtn. fire is surrounded by roads and started by a local family's place. They just happen to have a construction business and had equipment. He and boys dozed a line around their place and the neighbor's and then went to work with the state crews. That may have helped quite a bit.

Saw an empty lowboy headed away this morning so I imagine they got more equipment in. I'm about to load up the Used Dog and will see if we can get to the traditional dog wetting down spot. That's within a couple miles by road, of where the fire is.

The wind has died down.

Rumor has it that the cause was target shooters with tracer bullets. The area was logged a year ago so the slash would be quite ready to burn.

I know nothing about such fancy things.

Nothing could be seen from the lake. However, my boy launched off the dock for the first time. He has always kind of stumbled off until today. He was in touch with his Labness.

had a 40 acre fire up by owl's place sunday. mostly in a clearcut and some thinned . but we had that damn east wind ripping over 30.

Maybe I'll get on some fires this year? :popcorn:

Coulda came and played on this rx fire. Plenty for you to cut during mop up :laugh:

attachment.php

Put up one hell of a smoke column with the head fire, though the pic doesn't do it justice. And it rained soon as we finished mop up. Good timing!

attachment.php

don't know if anyones interested but this is local. lot of 4 Wajax fire fighter 2 stroke pumps rare!

I know the chief of the South Kal. Fire Dept.

This island should be soaking wet this early. They admit they need some porty-pumps in the trucks for these type situations, without relying on DNR or another agency.

Those Wajax pumps aren't super "portable", but they'd certainly be able to establish a good trunk and secondaries.

Blaze started close to tent, propane tank - Daily Inter Lake:

Latest posts

Back