Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Masticated fuels are a heck of a thing. We tried burning a masticated unit in 05 and it was dubbed prescribed suppression. The test fire went ok ( I was on a hand crew, so we were just lighting) and then the first strips went big. We caught it at 10 acres.

There are a few people up at MTDC and CSU trying to work up new fuel models and runs for masticated fuels. The ERC on the fuels doesn't really match up with much that is out there in normal documentation.

They sure are fun to light though.

We had a fire last summer run into a unit of masticated P pine and it slowed it down some. I would think it would act like a FM 11.

I read where 1,000hr. fuels in CO are at 4-10%. That is bone dry.

True story. 100 degrees and 10%rh yesterday. Grass fire along highway 119... bunker gear. Third time I've had to do that, third time it sucked. :blob2:

Regarding that article, I've heard natural stand density around Boulder County for the pondo is somewhere near 60 per acre, some places are several thousand per acre... with homes mixed in... and an LAL of 4 on the 4th of July. Job security.

warejn, is that the pounder tool that Supply Cache advertises in one of those pictures? Does it work?

Oh also one of my departments gets a new type 6 delivered tomorrow. Lifted F-550, 36 inch IROK singles on it. I can't wait, I'll post pictures.

I think it has a lot to do with the density and moisture of the masticated fuels. They were the issue with the Lower North Fork fire as well.

Yes, that is one of the JR Fire Tools pounders. We got a box of his tools to demo last year. I have been using it for a full year now. It is a good tool, holds an edge well and sharpens easily. Using it as a pounder is a slightly different story. It does not have the umph for big timber and, even worse, I just found a crack in the head. I have written the company to let them know. If you work as a faller, I still think the FST ( modded Pulaski) is the best. If you work on an engine or rarely have to pound wedges, it is a great tool. The handle is great.

Ya that's sorta what I was worried about when I saw that tool: cool idea, not as cool in real life. Boulder's wildland division is a big fan of the smash-laski. Leave 10 firefighters in a room of tools and you'll get 12 different ideas.

Anyways, I promised pictures of the new brush truck that I helped spec out. F-550 Type 5/6 built by SVI in Fort Collins, 450 gallons, 250gpm high pressure with CAFS, 36 inch IROKs, party time, excellent.

View attachment 302448View attachment 302449View attachment 302450View attachment 302451View attachment 302452

Ya that's sorta what I was worried about when I saw that tool: cool idea, not as cool in real life. Boulder's wildland division is a big fan of the smash-laski. Leave 10 firefighters in a room of tools and you'll get 12 different ideas.

Anyways, I promised pictures of the new brush truck that I helped spec out. F-550 Type 5/6 built by SVI in Fort Collins, 450 gallons, 250gpm high pressure with CAFS, 36 inch IROKs, party time, excellent.

Looks pretty snazzy! :rock:

A nice video made by a firefighter in CO on the West Fork Complex.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/69120008?color=ff9933" width="560" height="380" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

I've whored myself out as a faller on wildland fires a few times. It's been my experience that, other than structure protection, the whole thing is a massive waste of time and tax-payer money (but hey, I put a down payment on my property and paid for a new truck in the process). It puts a bunch of folks out in the woods "working" that otherwise wouldn't be there. It's become an industry unto itself. Pretty pathetic for the most part. Flame away but it will fall on deaf ears. I've personally witnessed the BS that goes along with "fighting fire" out in the woods, in three different states.

Free country, to each his own.

Cool video. I have a friend down there right now on a Type 3, can't wait to hear about it. Over here on the Front Range we had over 3,000 lightning strikes in 30 minutes yesterday evening.

I think it has a lot to do with the density and moisture of the masticated fuels. They were the issue with the Lower North Fork fire as well.

Yes, that is one of the JR Fire Tools pounders. We got a box of his tools to demo last year. I have been using it for a full year now. It is a good tool, holds an edge well and sharpens easily. Using it as a pounder is a slightly different story. It does not have the umph for big timber and, even worse, I just found a crack in the head. I have written the company to let them know. If you work as a faller, I still think the FST ( modded Pulaski) is the best. If you work on an engine or rarely have to pound wedges, it is a great tool. The handle is great.

FST? Is that the Pulaski with the round head welded on?

I have seen unofficial reports that the death toll is up to 22. This is the worst single incident in US wildfire since South Canyon 1994.

EDIT 1: at this time, 2100 30 Jun 2013, I have not received check-ins from two friends working in that area. Color me worried.

EDIT 2: one has checked in OK

EDIT 3: 18 are from Granite Mt Hotshots, one is from another outfit

EDIT 4: friend who checked in says "Nothing else we know we worked a 30 hour shift all last night as it was blowing up. Got a cell in this afternoon blew it south took the crew out" and "We had 100 ft flames lengths in chapparal and manzanita." and "We talked to the crew this morning before we flew out. Its hard i had a friend on that crew"

EDIT 5: next press conference 1000 MST tomorrow morning

EDIT 6: it appears that the original number of 22 was the "unaccounted for number" before the official release. One of the now-accounted-for was the 'shot who survived because he was moving the truck. Not sure who the two others were.

Last edited:
This is a very sad day for firefighters. I went on many fires alongside the Granite Mountain crew- they were always a good bunch and made the best of every assignment.

Oh no. 19 people won't ever return home.

I haven't seen the details yet but it sounds like they were in dry brush on a hot, low humidity day. We they in direct attack or indirect? Manzanita is so oily it is nearly explosive.

We can all help a little by giving to the Wildland Firefighter Foundation. Every dollar helps.

http://www.wffoundation.org/SectionIndex.asp?SectionID=5

Last edited:
Sounds eerily similar to South Canyon, which was almost 19 years ago (7/6/1994). Those of you who have not read the book about that fire by John Maclean should do so.

Last edited:
Back