Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps the answer is pretty straight forward... but do air filters just get nuked when the saw is running that close to burning or smoldering trees? I'd think that the hot air being drawn by the intake would melt the filter element?

No, you'd be surprised how much heat the filter element can handle. The plastics on my old 044 I used for all my wildland work had the plastics discolored from heat, but the filters are fine.

If you think about it, the saw's engine components get significantly higher than the air around any burning snag. If it was hotter than that, there would be so much smoke the saw wouldn't run.

The air flow from the saw's fan can sure whip up a smoldering log! From embers to flame in a second or two.

I can say I've caused a rekindle from doing that... Which then got me a nice chewing on from the IC. He apparently wanted to go home. [emoji38] That 660's fan blew an ember across a control line and into a patch of dry grass.

The air flow from the saw's fan can sure whip up a smoldering log! From embers to flame in a second or two.

It's that kind of thing that had me figuring the filter would cook. If the power head is that close to whip the log up, then that's some hot air coming in through the filter

Ive started the moss on cedars burning real good when I was bushelin with 044s . It would get smoldering when putting in the faceon nice yellow cedars . when the face slid out I would goose the saw a few times to clear out the bar grooveand the bellows effect from the exuast would fan the flames. . That was on Prince of Wales where 2 weeks without heavy rain is an actual drought. had to get the tree on the ground quick to get the fire out. By the time I would have them leaving the stump. The flames would be 30' up the tree.

Oh no. I just heard that 3 FFs were killed today in Washington near Twisp. I have no details. Tears out.

It was up a canyon off the Twisp River. I used to live and work in that part of the country. They would have been in brush and grass with an occasional pine tree. One report mentioned firefighters trapped in a driveway, not sure if it was them, and it was too smoky to see them to get them out with a helicopter...very sad.

That whole part of the valley--Twisp and Winthrop are under a level 3 evacuation. They cannot go out the North Cascades highway because it is blocked by a fire. Winthrop folks have been told to go south down the east county road because the main highway is full of fire equipment. They will join up with the Twisp evacuation there. Then they have a choice to go over another mountain pass and drop into the Okanogan Valley, which has it's own fires--it looked like part of Omak was going to burn yesterday. Or down another two lane highway to hwy 97 at the junction of the Methow River and Columbia.

Friends have a house that almost burned up last year. Their renters have once again bugged out, but left sprinklers on outside the house. My friends, who live in the Okanogan Valley may also need to get out if the winds kick up. That's predicted to happen. Have heard that they are hammering the Twisp fire with air tankers but the wind may put an end to that.

Conconully, a neat little town where they have outhouse races in the winter has been evacuated again.

The weather forecast is for gusty winds as a cold front is passing through. It isn't looking good. It's just a very sad, bad day. We wait for the names...

Anybody remember when I said a couple days ago the 20 year old rookie nearly got us killed? Well... He learned that in order to be a swamper and spotter, you have to be looking up into the tree crowns. A large branch broke out of the top and landed on my head. And because I was wearing a structural helmet it folded right over my fece.

Here is the aftermath-my melted Oakley sunglasses. I also got a couple minor burns on my face and neck, plus some bruising, so I'm stuck being the rig chauffeur. It blows, but it's honestly mostly my fault for relying on an inexperienced spotter and not wearing a proper hard hat with a full brim. I'm just glad I was wearing eye protection or I might just be a cyclops.

26556f8df252e5bf5d784dff718b5edc.jpg

Back