Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was on that fire as a Medic. Unfortunate, classic T-Cell outflow caused that and …

303f7c2910ba2c84885935a2d05ea279.jpg

Here is a photo of it from Hwy 97 making access for aid. I transported them to Yreka Hospital after for a well check. A very talkative, humble and somber drive at times . And the longest return drive back to camp at 0400
Great guys and Luckily great outcome and a great lessons learned produced from it

Sent from my iPhone using see

This is the longer version of the Beaver Fire deployment with interviews

Yeah this was the version I used in the refresher. That's interesting that you drove the guys down the hill - humble and somber...well said. Hard to imagine feeling anything else. I've been to the Klamath (got covered head to toe in poison oak and nearly stepped on a giant, lime green but also cool-to-see rattlesnake) and the Stanislaus (nerve-wracking medivac flight there). Those are a couple of my NorCal fire experiences. If I never go to happy camp california ever again in my life I'll be very fine with that. And the t-cell outflow - more recently made notorious at Yarnell.

Yeah this was the version I used in the refresher. That's interesting that you drove the guys down the hill - humble and somber...well said. Hard to imagine feeling anything else. I've been to the Klamath (got covered head to toe in poison oak and nearly stepped on a giant, lime green but also cool-to-see rattlesnake) and the Stanislaus (nerve-wracking medivac flight there). Those are a couple of my NorCal fire experiences. If I never go to happy camp california ever again in my life I'll be very fine with that. And the t-cell outflow - more recently made notorious at Yarnell.

Com’on now, Happy Camps the BOMB [emoji378] Killer pizza place too

Com’on now, Happy Camps the BOMB [emoji378] Killer pizza place too

Admittedly I was on sh!tty fire details both times I was there. It could be a cool little town outside of that context. The poison oak sucked and the locals were.....interesting...... but I also was young and clueless. Maybe I owe it another shot.

Admittedly I was on sh!tty fire details both times I was there. It could be a cool little town outside of that context. The poison oak sucked and the locals were.....interesting...... but I also was young and clueless. Maybe I owe it another shot.

Which ones or years if you remember?
Eng , Crew , OH ?

Which ones or years if you remember?
Eng , Crew , OH ?

08' I was on a type 2 interagency handcrew. Not sure of the fire/incident. Believe it was a complex. That's when I got the poison oak. We mopped up in poison oak for two weeks.

09' I was on a helitack crew. We were prepo'd or severity. I can't remember. We did actually pop a couple interesting IAs on that roll so it actually wasn't a bad gig. That might not have even been right in Happy Camp...just very near there.

08' I was on a type 2 interagency handcrew. Not sure of the fire/incident. Believe it was a complex. That's when I got the poison oak. We mopped up in poison oak for two weeks.

09' I was on a helitack crew. We were prepo'd or severity. I can't remember. We did actually pop a couple interesting IAs on that roll so it actually wasn't a bad gig. That might not have even been right in Happy Camp...just very near there.

Probably the Klamath Theater Complex (200,000 acres) 08 was a big year out here. Tons of dry lightning fires ran the state
Indians, Basin, lime, Iron/Alps, Siskiyou and Six Rivers Complex’s
1.5 million+ acres
a6830d2a595956c1219116597ba3e940.jpg

Anyone ever shut your light off during mop up and think the embers look like horde of little hot eyes looking at you?
We called them candles, doing prescribe burns in plantation pines that were heavily infected with Pitch canker it would look like 1000's of candles glowing in the night.

Probably the Klamath Theater Complex (200,000 acres) 08 was a big year out here. Tons of dry lightning fires ran the state
Indians, Basin, lime, Iron/Alps, Siskiyou and Six Rivers Complex’s
1.5 million+ acres
a6830d2a595956c1219116597ba3e940.jpg

I spent a good two years working rehab on the Basin Complex. We have about 550 acres, now for sale, at the end of Palo Colorado Canyon Road. In 2016 the Soberanes fire ripped through much of the same area.

08 was a big year out here.

The Tehipite Fire was that year. I wanted to backpack through there, but the trail was closed. I came through the next year. There were trees completely gone including the stump, there were tunnels where the roots were. There were areas where it looked like the trees exploded, and pieces were scattered everywhere. And there was vegetation already grown back.

The Tehipite Fire was that year. I wanted to backpack through there, but the trail was closed. I came through the next year. There were trees completely gone including the stump, there were tunnels where the roots were. There were areas where it looked like the trees exploded, and pieces were scattered everywhere. And there was vegetation already grown back.

Yep [emoji1360] Nasty Steep area there
I was near Buck Rock, Kennedy meadows and up to near the “old” lookout Peak area on the Rough Fire :) a few years back
Kings river steep area

https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/nature/upload/SEKI Tehipite-3.pdf

Right behind tombstone ridge. The tehipite fire was staffed with or two people and a camera the entire time it burned

Yep [emoji1360] Nasty Steep area there
I was near Buck Rock, Kennedy meadows and up to near the “old” lookout Peak area on the Rough Fire :) a few years back
Kings river steep area

https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/nature/upload/SEKI Tehipite-3.pdf

I took this from that article.

”The fire was burning in some of the steepest, most remote wilderness terrain in Kings Canyon National Park – a dangerous place to put firefighters on the ground.“

It had burned one side of the switchbacks coming out of Tehipite Valley. Those switchbacks climb 3,000 feet in three miles, but you only move one mile (straight line). Where I saw the worst damage was well beyond the switchbacks.

Kennedy Meadows? The one near Kennedy Pass? I went over Kennedy Pass one year too.

The Rough Fire burned the 4WD trail my 4WD club has the adopt a trail agreement on, I helped rehab it. I still help open it every year. The fire also crossed the Kings River hiking trail that the volunteer organization I started has the adopt a trail agreement on, that dropped a lot of trees across the trail. The trunks partly burned, and the tree dropped, mostly intact. My mom also had to evacuate Stony Creek Campground, where she was camp host.

Kennedy Meadows? The one near Kennedy Pass? I went over Kennedy Pass one year too.

The Rough Fire burned the 4WD trail my 4WD club has the adopt a trail agreement on, I helped rehab it. I still help open it every year. The fire also crossed the Kings River hiking trail that the volunteer organization I started has the adopt a trail agreement on, that dropped a lot of trees across the trail. The trunks partly burned, and the tree dropped, mostly intact. My mom also had to evacuate Stony Creek Campground, where she was camp host.

My bad. I meant Big Meadows was on the 14S11 road area
That's very cool. Beautiful country up there

Latest posts

Back