Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no fires near here, but no wind, no rain its over 100 in the shade, and the smoke is settling in from east of the cascades... welcome to Summer in the Puget sound area...

Bonus, I'm fat and hairy, humidity is around 80%, and I have to go wire up the disservice truck to haul my new fire trailer tomorrow...
Inside, the smol window mount AC unit is doing a middling job of keeping the house livable... so its even harder to venture outside

Note: I said shade, cause like we can see this thing they call the sun... it like a giant nuclear reactor just doing its thing a million miles away... feckin weird yo.

What is weird... I own a series of beach umbrellas, not for the rain, but for the shade on days like this... the rain doesn't bother me lol. (the moss if very itchy when it dries out)

We're OK here so farrrr. (keeping fingers and toes crossed). Got a little smoke on Saturday from Beautiful British Columbia. It's cloudy this morning.

This is my indicator of fire season severity for the state of Warshington. As you can tell, it isn't bad.....yet.
DSC01833.JPG

Sadly, along with the rain comes lightning! Prayers for all those that are in the path of this monster and also those that are fighting it!

In this case it looks like no lightning. I've been checking the radar on and off and it LOOKS like maybe they got quite a bit of rain today.

McKinney made the news here yesterday and today, too. McKinney, Texas. fires! 5-7 acrs though. not the 55K in Ca :omg: and more today, too. 4/5 more! up in and around the Austin area... one up near Dallas recently, started from mowing. up at my ranch few hectars over... shredding in pasture, hit rock, spark lit it off! 3-alarm!! pasture fires on front page of local rural newspaper almost weekly... :surprised3:

scene from the pasture fire other day....
zzzzxpf.JPG

Massive downpours and debris flows last night had fire crews abandoning their vehicles and running for their lives uphill on the McKinney fire in Siskiyou county. Heavy equipment is working their way in to try and extricate fire vehicles.

Do you know if everybody got out safe? Losing equipment sucks, but people are irreplaceable.

It wandered in my direction, about 6 miles away or so and God pissed on it.
0930 07/30/22
kRWWNE.jpg

W. Warshington is having a go at it. White Pass and Stevens Pass are now closed.
Packwood, WA has a dozer line around it.
Bolt Crk Fire, is uncomfortably close to home, and moving fast, Skykomish and index are being evacuated, its still a few miles away, but its crispy dry out there and winds are blowing from the east... not goo at all.

Bolt Crk Fire, is uncomfortably close to home, and moving fast, Skykomish and index are being evacuated, its still a few miles away, but its crispy dry out there and winds are blowing from the east... not goo at all.
Heard they have had to rescue some hikers who were trapped on Baring Mtn.

Meanwhile, a fire broke out to my north, in between Omak and Tonasket and quite near to a classic example of the Forest/Urban Interface. A housing development built in the midst of sagebrush and Ponderosa Pine. Because of that, the DNR is calling in a lot of stuff and Canada is sending the first round of air tankers because they can get there faster than our domestic planes. The housing development is being evacuated.

Meanwhile, on another forum, folks were getting evacuation notices and they lived far away from the Baring fire. Even some King county residents were notified. Shortly after, a Sorry, hit the wrong button apology was sent out.

Heard they have had to rescue some hikers who were trapped on Baring Mtn.

Meanwhile, a fire broke out to my north, in between Omak and Tonasket and quite near to a classic example of the Forest/Urban Interface. A housing development built in the midst of sagebrush and Ponderosa Pine. Because of that, the DNR is calling in a lot of stuff and Canada is sending the first round of air tankers because they can get there faster than our domestic planes. The housing development is being evacuated.

Meanwhile, on another forum, folks were getting evacuation notices and they lived far away from the Baring fire. Even some King county residents were notified. Shortly after, a Sorry, hit the wrong button apology was sent out.
I may have gotten one of them notifications, quickly followed by an apology.
That said, I'm getting the important stuff ready to go, the fuel load between here and there isn't what I would call good, lots of abandoned overgrown hemlock stands and poorly maintained private acreage, that fire gets past Startup (the town) its gonna be hard to stop.

I may have gotten one of them notifications, quickly followed by an apology.
That said, I'm getting the important stuff ready to go, the fuel load between here and there isn't what I would call good, lots of abandoned overgrown hemlock stands and poorly maintained private acreage, that fire gets past Startup (the town) its gonna be hard to stop.
Yeah, that sounds good.

We have Hwy 97, which runs all the way up to Canada or south to Oregon. I read complaints that morons (politely called looky loos) have been causing traffic jams from driving TO the Crumbacher Fire area, parking, and taking pictures. They've even been entering the development and parking in the road. Folks are trying to get out and idiots are trying to get in. I think that might be how highways get shut down.

Good luck to ya. Hope things calm down for the night, at least. I have windows open as the air doesn't smell smoky or look as bad as shown on the air quality pages. Maybe the sensor is in a bad location...

Back