Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YUP! How is it that many fires started, hundreds and hundreds?

It's usually lightning when there's that many of them. If there was a serial arsonist on the loose I think we'd have heard about it by now.

Our volunteer department is getting ready for the weekend. For us it's usually pretty quiet but several years ago some whacko kid with a machete was running around lighting fires in the hills. It was amusing listening to the radio and the heli pilot had to acknowledge the "Life Safety Alert" which usually pertains to power lines down but in this case he had to acknowledge the danger of the guy with the machete- while piloting a helicopter. :rolleyes:

So far. Eco terrorists from the 4 different Canadian news sources I've seen... so far.
Where are you finding this info? Can you post the sources?

Being from Idaho, you ought to know more about fires. Out here in the west, it is not unheard of to get a storm go through with many lightning strikes and then have fires starting anywhere. I was on a crew sent to Eastern Oregon in 1986, (I think that was the year) and there were fires all over the place burning without anyone on them because there were not enough firefighters.

We don't need lies on here. Keep those to the hateful political forum. Lies get people killed in these idiotic times. Remember the people who almost were shot in Oregon because the locals heard lies about arsonists?

Not that arson doesn't happen and it has been firefighters who have been culprits PART of the time. Then idiots. Then we have the idiots who burn stuff on a hot, windy day (lots of that around here) fireworks, and campfires. Then other weird ways. We have a bigger population which means there is an equal increase in the idiots.

Now, let's stick to facts. From what I understand, Canada was hammered with lightning. Too many fires happened. Dry conditions. Fires out of control. And, we experienced westerners know that you don't "put out" ginormous fires. They burn, we try to steer them around a bit, and a big rain event or winter "puts them out".

This is all new to the easterners. Plus, most folks ignore wildfires until they get stuck in the smoke.

Keep your hateful rumors and name calling on the political page. Lies hurt and kill innocent people. I don't want to get shot by some ignoramus who thinks I'm an antifa arsonist because I'm riding my bike in the woods.

Where are you finding this info? Can you post the sources?

Being from Idaho, you ought to know more about fires. Out here in the west, it is not unheard of to get a storm go through with many lightning strikes and then have fires starting anywhere. I was on a crew sent to Eastern Oregon in 1986, (I think that was the year) and there were fires all over the place burning without anyone on them because there were not enough firefighters.

We don't need lies on here. Keep those to the hateful political forum. Lies get people killed in these idiotic times. Remember the people who almost were shot in Oregon because the locals heard lies about arsonists?

Not that arson doesn't happen and it has been firefighters who have been culprits PART of the time. Then idiots. Then we have the idiots who burn stuff on a hot, windy day (lots of that around here) fireworks, and campfires. Then other weird ways. We have a bigger population which means there is an equal increase in the idiots.

Now, let's stick to facts. From what I understand, Canada was hammered with lightning. Too many fires happened. Dry conditions. Fires out of control. And, we experienced westerners know that you don't "put out" ginormous fires. They burn, we try to steer them around a bit, and a big rain event or winter "puts them out".

This is all new to the easterners. Plus, most folks ignore wildfires until they get stuck in the smoke.

Keep your hateful rumors and name calling on the political page. Lies hurt and kill innocent people. I don't want to get shot by some ignoramus who thinks I'm an antifa arsonist because I'm riding my bike in the woods.

Its amazing to me in the information age, how unserious some people have become.

Its amazing to me in the information age, how unserious some people have become.
The scary bit is, that they can't control it and people who believe it go forth to do harm based on a "rumor". It's time to start calling rumors lies.

I forgot to mention a big source of forest fires--logging. I'll mention the Tillamook Burn(s) as an example.

Oh, and the 1986 and then the next year also, fire busts were before the downsizing of federal agencies and reduced logging kicked in. There were a heck of a lot more people to actually stop fires while fires were small than there are now. There are very few eyes in the woods these days--at least eyes of people who know what to do when spotting a smoke or abandoned campfire in the woods. Don't know if that's the case in Canada.

So, for all the children here…
a 5 min search on duck duck go brought up a half dozen local Canadian articles from 4 different provinces. Some included official statements from the royal Canadian mounted police regarding specific arrests, multiple arrests.
I refuse to do your homework for you; ask mommy instead. 🙄

So, for all the children here…
a 5 min search on duck duck go brought up a half dozen local Canadian articles from 4 different provinces. Some included official statements from the royal Canadian mounted police regarding specific arrests, multiple arrests.
I refuse to do your homework for you; ask mommy instead. 🙄
I'm trying to find the articles you cite and coming up with nothing similar to what you cite. I'm probably using the wrong search terms. Please share the term(s) you used to find all those articles.
Thanks.

I'm trying to find the articles you cite and coming up with nothing similar to what you cite. I'm probably using the wrong search terms. Please share the term(s) you used to find all those articles.
Thanks.
Arson, Canada fires is what I put in. You will have to follow some of the suggested parameters to more articles. It isn't rocket science. Yes, there are plenty of bs articles to weed through...par for the course.
I tried to link to my search...didn't work

Back