Fireplace Police are out in force

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blowncrewcab

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I saw this over on the Deiselplace.com

Steve Rubenstein, Chronicle Staff Writer
Thursday, November 20, 2008

(11-19) 16:21 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- The fireplace police descended on the Bay Area on Wednesday.
For the first time ever, residential fires are illegal under a new law, passed in July, that bans home burning on winter season Spare the Air days.
The first such ban took effect at noon. Seventy inspectors from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District planned to spend the day and evening patrolling residential neighborhoods, looking for telltale chimney wisps.
Violators will get warnings by mail. Repeat offenders face fines of as much as $2,000.
The fireplace police say they are determined to keep law and order in the living room.
"We're serious," said district spokeswoman Kristine Roselius. "This is a major health threat. The weather conditions are such that smoke is trapped closer to the ground and anyone with respiratory problems will have a hard time breathing."
With 1.4 million fireplaces in the Bay Area, Roselius said the district is hoping for voluntary compliance. It notes that wood burning produces about one-third of the particulate pollution on a typical winter night.
The district predicts as many as 20 Spare the Air days during the winter season, which air quality officials define as Nov. 1 through Feb. 28. That means it could be illegal to fire up the fireplace as often as one day in every six.
Similar bans have been in place in the San Joaquin Valley and in the Pacific Northwest for several years.
After the initial warning, repeat violators will face fines, some as high as four figures. In other no-burn districts, offenders have been permitted to do penance by attending "smoke school," similar to traffic school. But the Bay Area is a no-school zone.
The air quality district declared its Spare the Air Day because of what it called moderate levels of pollution all around the Bay Area. Moderate pollution is expected to remain today in the East Bay, the South Bay and the Santa Clara Valley regions, with good air quality in the North Bay and coastal regions. The district will decide by noon whether to extend the wood-burning ban.
The fireplace industry was seeing red about the prospect of more smoke-free days and nights.
"This is obviously something we're very concerned about," said Chris Caron, vice president of Duraflame, the Stockton-based purveyor of sawdust fireplace logs.
He said he hoped the new ban would not affect the fire log business and that Bay Area residents would burn even more logs on non-Spare the Air days.
"After (the district) gets through trying to scare everyone to death, we expect they will realize that people still want to burn in their fireplaces," Caron said.
He also said it was unfair to lump cleaner-burning sawdust-based logs with ordinary wood. And he said he was hoping for lots of cold, rainy, windy and miserable weather this winter.
"Bad weather is good for us," he said. "And good for air quality."
Rich Ventura, proprietor of Rich's Firewood of San Carlos, called the ban "a little excessive." Ventura sells oak fireplace wood for $400 a cord, a quantity of stacked wood that measures 4 by 4 by 8 feet.
"They should try education first - that would be a better way to go," he said. "If you build a fire properly, and get it really hot in a wood stove, there's very little smoke."
Tim Regan of San Francisco said he had already gotten his education and wouldn't be spending Wednesday night burning any of the firewood he was buying at the Safeway on Market Street for $18.
"The environment has to trump comfort," Regan said. "I'm sentimental about these things. A fireplace is so romantic, the curl of the smoke rising up - it's like Norman Rockwell. But I'm willing to make a concession to the planet's health and survival."

</H1>

WOW .You cant drive by any house were i live and not smell wood .I cant breath
my heart rate is up is this the big one .Ah nope just needed a beer and a fire.

"Sir, we smell and see smoke coming from your chimney!"

<click as safety comes off>

"You also see a 12 gauge pump pointing at your stupid skull, now get off my property."

:censored: and the horse they rode in on!

Tes

"Sir, we smell and see smoke coming from your chimney!"

<click as safety comes off>

"You also see a 12 gauge pump pointing at your stupid skull, now get off my property."

:censored: and the horse they rode in on!

Tes

That is why I live in a small town. Let those kind of idiots live in the big city so the normal ones can be out here where there is room!

CA sucks. If I got fined for burning I would refuse to pay and make them arrest and prosecute me for burning wood, and make as huge of a stink about it as I can.

I just looked at my chimney, no smoke coming out of it, only heat.

That's what you get when you live on top of each other.

Yep. Like it or not, the more you cram people together, the more rules you need. You also (usually) get more than you really need.

San Francisco, like Los Angeles, suffers from something called a temperature inversion. This is where a layer of warmer are sits on top of a layer of colder air. Normally, it gets cooler as you go up, hence the 'inversion' part of the name.

When this happens, it's like a lid on the city. It traps pollutants. The most obvious example of it I've personnally seen was in Colorado Springs one winter morning. On my way in to work, I noticed the smoke (steam?) from the local coal-fired power plant was going straight up a couple of hundred feet, and then flattening out like it had hit a glass wall. (Colorado Springs almost lost the Olympic training facility because it has surprisingly bad air. Not like L.A., but still, not very good.)

The temperature inversion is one of the reasons for southern California's famous smog. You get a fairly steady onshore breeze from the Pacific, Mountains ringing the L.A. basin, and the inversion clamps down like a lid on top. No place for the pollutants to go! In fact, the Indians called it The Valley of Smokes, even before the white man got there with his SUVs.

San Fran doesn't have it as bad, but they do have it.

All that to say, as bad as the greenies and other idiots are in San Fran, in this case, there is a real problem that needs to be solved. It's not just regulation for the sake of regulation. Besides, nobody heats with wood in that area. It's all done for "ambiance", so I really don't have too much sympathy for them.

"This is obviously something we're very concerned about," said Chris Caron, vice president of Duraflame, the Stockton-based purveyor of sawdust fireplace logs.
He said he hoped the new ban would not affect the fire log business and that Bay Area residents would burn even more logs on non-Spare the Air days.
"After (the district) gets through trying to scare everyone to death, we expect they will realize that people still want to burn in their fireplaces," Caron said.
He also said it was unfair to lump cleaner-burning sawdust-based logs with ordinary wood. And he said he was hoping for lots of cold, rainy, windy and miserable weather this winter.
"Bad weather is good for us," he said. "And good for air quality."

This guy sounds like a total moron. First off why would he hope that the weather be miserable, does he like to drive around and see people that are banned from burning wood freezing in their homes? second how can the sawdust logs burn cleaner? arent they still just wood? you can take an apple and eat it, or you can take and apple smash it into a thousand pieces, and then compress it into a little brick but then its still just an apple. Then he says he hopes it dosent hurt the firewood business but he hopes that people wont be able to burn wood, sounds like a flip flopper to me.

man am i glad i live in a town where every single house has a fireplace or stove and everyone burns wood. my problem is is that they doint put a ban on oil burners that still make smoke. one reason i will never live in California.

Regarding the temp. inversions, we get them in MI once in awhile, usually accompanied by a very low pressure system, it affects the way my stove drafts and makes it very hard to light a fire. My way around it is to get a fire going and burn it very hot, I typically burn hot but I would make sure it is always hot enough to burn all the smoke. On milder days like that I won't burn and instead just use my little electric heater. I don't really like burning above 40 anyways, unless it's really nasty out.

Not Green Bay

Keep in mind that San Fran isn't anywhere near as cold as where the majority of us live. I've been there 4 times and the last time was in February (it was 70 degrees). The time before that was Thanksgiving 1995 (also 70s). These liberals have a lot bigger problems than smoke.

First off why would he hope that the weather be miserable,

Stormy weather disrupts the inversion layer, and cleans out the air. Read the article again - the ban is only for days that are specially designated because of bad air.

Storms = clean air = no burning ban = better for everybody.

That's what you get when you live on top of each other.

I bet they restrict shooting ranges, too.

Of course they do !! NO shooting across the double yellow lines.

LT...:monkey:

This is why I left San Jose for Santa Cruz

I used to live in San Jose but I couldn't take living there after 2 years so I moved to Santa Cruz. It is sooooo much better here, although the government is even more liberal. I drive 40 miles to work over a mountain but it is worth it. I fit in better here.

The funny thing about this law is it may not be that effective. People in Santa Clara Valley, or Silicon Valley as it is called, are mostly high-tech programmer types tahat probably wouldn't know which end of a maul to use to split a log. I know there are fires there, but not like there are here. Santa Cruz is considered a "rual" community and most of the people I know here heat with wood. We are right on the ocean and we are separated by a mountain. Every night the fog comes in and blows over the mountain into Silicon Valley allong with our pollution and wood fire smoke.

BTW this has been a grea year for firewood. We had three wildfires in 30 days last summer and they were blamed on the huge groves of eucalyptus trees that the tree huggers in office wouldn't let anyone cut down. After the fires it ws open season on eucalyptus. I had many sources for firewood.

Latest posts

Back