Firewood Bundler? Build - Pics Added

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
What kind of setup's do you guys use? Been throwing the idea around of getting into it. I got a lot of wood split and off the ground. Wondering if a plastic banding would work ok? Most I see is plastic wrapped. I got a welder and am handy.

The motor is the expensive part, about $700. It hasvquite a bit of reduction in the gearbox, plus a pulley setup.
I can get you the model.

I got mine from John's Welding. Was about $2k shipped with a 4 or 5 cases of wrap.

I use mesh bags. I put the splits in a metal can until full, pull the mesh bag over the outside of the can, flip it over and slide out the can. I then shove in a few more pieces into the center of the bag to fill it up good and full. Takes about 2 minutes. Very cheap, very easy. I have my kids do it, and pay them $1/bag, and I sell them for $4.

IMG_8318.JPG

I use mesh bags. I put the splits in a metal can until full, pull the mesh bag over the outside of the can, flip it over and slide out the can. I then shove in a few more pieces into the center of the bag to fill it up good and full. Takes about 2 minutes. Very cheap, very easy. I have my kids do it, and pay them $1/bag, and I sell them for $4.

View attachment 491201
Dang, that looks like a winner. Where you get the mesh bags from?

VF I did see the ones from Johns welding, but a bit more than I want to spend.

How much do mesh bags cost? It's costs me about $0.15 per bundle for stretch wrap and paper (info sheet).

Well, funny thing...Last week I asked my neighbor buddy that has a tree service, if he knows anybody with a bundler. Well he said he knew a guy about 20 min away. Tonight he calls n says we need to look at it, and he wants me to build one.....heh....will see how this goes.

If you use the mesh bags, do you use a waterproof info paper? I put mine in between the wraps of plastic. Just had business name and what the product is/amount (it's a required for some of the places I do bundles)

I purchased a bundler just like the one below, except no wheels, off of Craigslist in New Mexico about a month ago. It was in excellent shape and came with 6 new 15" shrink wrap rolls. $600 for the machine and $200 to ship. I can tell you the manual crank turns easy and works great and you can really spit out bundles at a fairly good clip. If you are not going into this needing to produce a lot of bundles a day I think the crank one will work just fine for you. As someone stated above most states require you to have certain information on the bundle. In Iowa it is name and address, price, size of bundle, type of wood and county of origin. I decided to get into this mainly because I could get the bundler so cheap and I have tons of seasoned firewood that I can divert from my OWB stacks and put towards this. Finally this being a sideline and not a business I charge the same amount as the local stores for the bundles. That being $5.00 a bundle. The reason for that is I feel I have much better wood in my bundles and more. (My bundle tag says .75 CU FT but I am normally closer to 1 CU FT.) If I only sell 20 bundles all year I believe that $100 is still a pretty good return on my $800 investment.
On a side note I got a new X27 Fiskars from my Son for Christmas and that is what I am using to split down my bigger OWB splits to bundle size splits. For someone who has never split wood by hand I have to admit it does the job and does it good.
standard%20firewood%20bundler.jpg

Well, funny thing...Last week I asked my neighbor buddy that has a tree service, if he knows anybody with a bundler. Well he said he knew a guy about 20 min away. Tonight he calls n says we need to look at it, and he wants me to build one.....heh....will see how this goes.

If you can, post some pics and info about it. I'd also like to build one, so any info will help.

I built one a couple of years ago. Took me a weekend and worked really well. I was selling an old wood splitter I had and when the 2 guys came to get it my lovely daughter in law (sales person that she is) sold them my wrapper while they were here. I need to build another one. The pictures might still be on here somewhere.

Well, I found an electric motor and pulley off an old air compressor i got for free. Frame is simple enough to make. For the rotating asm I think I may use some washing machine parts, my real job. I am going to make an adjustable table that will widen or narrow up depending on size of bundles. Will get pics of the one we looked at when i get to my laptop

The motor is the expensive part, about $700. It hasvquite a bit of reduction in the gearbox, plus a pulley setup.
I can get you the model.

I got mine from John's Welding. Was about $2k shipped with a 4 or 5 cases of wrap.

Just looked at their web site, looks like a good product. FWIW, they are only 40 miles from me.

20160312_090111_zpsqtqqkacu.jpg
20160312_090158_zpsvixttcga.jpg

Works well, nice tight bundles. Foot pedal switch.

Dang, that looks like a winner. Where you get the mesh bags from?
VF I did see the ones from Johns welding, but a bit more than I want to spend.

How much do mesh bags cost? It's costs me about $0.15 per bundle for stretch wrap and paper (info sheet).

Found some on Uline for $66 for 100.

Harris Seeds - $35/100 (plus shipping). if you order 300, it's $32/100.

http://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-13874-harvest-produce-bag-18-x-32.aspx

I don't have a picture,but I made a rack out of 2x2's. It's about waist high and 12"x12". I fill the rack with splits,tighten it down with a ratchet strap and then tie the bundle with baling twine.Takes me
4 min. per bundle. I make the strings ahead of time and they're long enough to tie together to make a carrying handle.

My idea is similar to Yooperforeman's with a slight enhancement. I cut leaky garden hose into 5-1/2" lengths and run the baling twine through them to serve as a handle between the wraps on each end of the bundle. My bundles are larger and usually heavier than the commercial ones at the store. Customers really appreciate the hose handles and friends give me plenty of worn out hose for nothing.

I also save a few small logs as "bundle packers" to tighten things up now and then and to ensure a good measure. One last tip: I have found that a price tag tied to each bundle reduces theft and knocking a buck off the price of a second one increases sales.

Latest posts

Back