Firewood Bundler? Build - Pics Added

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1. Not to mention, many times I do not start with a standing tree. And, even standing dead trees need their rounds to be dried further before you can bundle their splits.

Want to make a lot of customers mad at you? Bundle up green splits and sell them green bundles that hiss at them like snakes when they try to light a fire.

I make bundles ahead so they dry.

A couple summers ago I made bundles with green splits and kept them in the woodshed,well once they dried out I had to 're-tie them because they had loosened up so much.I decided it was better to dry the splits first then bundle.

A couple summers ago I made bundles with green splits and kept them in the woodshed,well once they dried out I had to 're-tie them because they had loosened up so much.I decided it was better to dry the splits first then bundle.
That is usually what I do as well. Dry the splits first because wood shrinks as it dries out and usually sheds its bark while doing so. That also means you can sell the bundles immediately.

Today I cut rounds that need to be split. Cut from live trees last fall, they are still a little green. I will let the rounds dry a month, split them, and then let their splits dry in a random pile for yet another month before I bundle them up. Heck, cottonwood and elm need the bark falling off before you can even split the rounds cleanly.

Going to drop motor off at local motor shop and have em go thru it, has a loose cooling fan and bearings a little dry. I got a foot pedal control on order from Harbor freight, $14 or so. Once spindle is welded and in place, I am going to build the front log support. Got a couple no flat 10" handcart wheels on order too.
wow looks like its coming along nicely!! :)
couple of questions; have you calculated the speed of bundler with the reduction your using? seems like 2 reductions might still be kinda fast. usually home made bundlers have three, 12-2 reductions. but it depends on the speed of the motor. also have you worked out how to tension the belts? also have you considered putting a bolt (or threads) with a spring and nut on the shaft holding the plastic roll. that way you can tension how tight the roll will hold and hence adjust the tension of the wrap on the bundles? just trying to help. keep up the good work.

I wrap them tight, have only had a few that the middle of the bundle was loose.

wow looks like its coming along nicely!! :)
couple of questions; have you calculated the speed of bundler with the reduction your using? seems like 2 reductions might still be kinda fast. usually home made bundlers have three, 12-2 reductions. but it depends on the speed of the motor. also have you worked out how to tension the belts? also have you considered putting a bolt (or threads) with a spring and nut on the shaft holding the plastic roll. that way you can tension how tight the roll will hold and hence adjust the tension of the wrap on the bundles? just trying to help. keep up the good work.

The bottom belt i can adjust/slide motor to tighten. Upper I will probably add an idler to take up slack. did not calculate speed. Just kinda winging it.....I can always swap motor pulley smaller. Just runnin what i have on hand for now.

So, I guess I have to ask these two questions to all readers of this thread: (1) do you pack 8 to 9 logs to the bundle? and (2) do your customers ever complain that your bundles are too small?

Firewood bundles that are too small is all that I hear in this neck of the words from buyers of commercial bundles sold at convenience stores. And, that's primarily why they like to buy mine and get their money's worth. People do not like paying a dollar a log and for small logs to boot.

Got spindle in mail today, welded a 3" bolt 3/4" diameter Grade 8 bolt to end of spindle. I ground bolt at angle so it has good penetration.
20160324_201957_zpsg7k44qe3.jpg

Added gussets so it should not break.
20160324_202008_zpsyunxbvld.jpg

20160324_202114_zpscijgqqd1.jpg

20160324_202028_zps8qo2dcqy.jpg

The idiot welding, me, went way to fast and the plate started to warp like crazy. Should have used thicker metal and went slower, but oh well, hope I can tweak back straight.

The round piece is going to be welded to the frame, I might get another one and remove washers and use only one nut and lock washer and loctite . Hope that is enough to support the weight and rotating forces of it.
20160324_205845_zpszryv0j1t.jpg

20160324_205754_zpsup8apy4m.jpg

I got an old bent trailer rim and cut the center out and will use that to weld my arm to and just use lug nuts to bolt on. I am thinking that I might trace the bolt pattern to the 12" pulley and bolt that in too. Will see, unless anyone else has better opinions, chime in. Will try to attatch dust cover to to keep dirt out, bearings are readily available but I doubt they will ever need replacing.

The round ball is used as a pivot in ag industry for 3 point hitches on tractors. I like it because it has a lot of surface area to weld on and it will not flex.

I got an old bent trailer rim and cut the center out and will use that to weld m
arm to and just use lug nuts to bolt on. I am thinking that I might trace the bolt pattern to the 12" pulley and bolt that in too. Will see, unless anyone else has better opinions, chime in.
flex.
I was picturing something with a long skinny rod instead of the rim, like this. but at this point the rim is prolly your best option.

I gotta say I like his removable pan design to put the wood in, then place all the pieces at once it in the machine.

So, I guess I have to ask these two questions to all readers of this thread: (1) do you pack 8 to 9 logs to the bundle? and (2) do your customers ever complain that your bundles are too small?

Firewood bundles that are too small is all that I hear in this neck of the words from buyers of commercial bundles sold at convenience stores. And, that's primarily why they like to buy mine and get their money's worth. People do not like paying a dollar a log and for small logs to boot.

My bundles are 14 to 17 pieces of good dry hardwood.I've heard many compliments about how the bundles are a great value.I like to take pride in a good quality product,(I'm the only one in the area who packs cedar kindling in the bundle)

this project is coming along nicely. please keep the pics coming. :)

The back plate that warped was pretty bad, I added the piece of angle on the top, but did not help. So, I cut a new piece of 1/4" plate, started cutting around the old plate, did 2 cuts and set it back down and what do you know, it laid flat again. So, I started welding my 2 cuts up, got a little warp again. Cut it, then did a couple 1" welds, took water hose to it and cooled, repeat and it is good to go.

I welded the arm directly to the hub, built it up with a few passes with the welder. Should hold no problem. Need to pick up a belt. Foot pedal is not going to be in till mid week. Do a little grinding and hit with some flat black. Add some supports/gussets to frame and tie to the front support which I need to build.

Got a couple rolls of plastic ordered, a handheld plastic dispensor I am going to mount to the arm.

I have to wonder if a gear motor might have been easier to work with--say 30:1 reduction or so. These are readily available at surplus shops. It eliminates the need of an intermittent shaft and would then require only one pair of pulleys and one drive belt. I use one on my band saw to cut metal.

Back