Firewood delivery systems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drmiller100

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I've spent the past 2 weeks delivering 60 cords of split firewood.

My dump trailer holds 3 cords loose pretty easily, but most customers want one cord.

So, I load a cord at the yard, deliver it, return to the yard. sometimes i deliver to two customers only a block away from each other, but my yard is 10 miles away.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of a way to deliver a cord to three different customers without returning to the yard????

thanks

palletize your wood. Shrink wrap 4x4, 2 pallets would be a cord then. strap down the pallets you are not dumping.

yeah, i tried pallets. it takes time to stack a pallet of wood, and customers seem to end up restacking it anyway. So, they don't want to pay to have it palletized.

and, if they buy two pallets, then restack it, they complain they didnt' get a full cord (which they don't unless I stack it extra high).

and even if i do palletize it, then I have to figure out a way to unload the pallets. i don't understand how to strap down a pallet of wood so it doesn't dump.

thanks though...

put divider walls in it , just pull the wall when you are ready to dump your next load , or put gates for divider walls

use those poles that truck drivers use inside their trailers that are adjustable, get 2 or 3 of them and wrap a trap around the poles to keep the wood seperate. After dumping the first load, remove the poles and tarp and go to the next load. Could fasten the tarp with bungee cords.

The guy I work for at night, he stacks the wood in face cord quantities, on a pallet between a couple 2x2's, then shrink wraps it. The customer can see exactly how much is there, no room to squabble. He dumps it, picks up the plastic, pallet, 2x2's and off he goes with the dough.

The benefit of the stacked setup, the wood is drying optimally the whole time it is on the pallet, it stays clean, and easy to move inventory in the yard. People driving by see a nice clean package, all equal measurment, it gives them a sense of something positive I suppose. Like buying a box of cereal at the store.

I agree with the other posters though, find a way to secure the more forward loads.

Big fertilizer bags

Not sure if you have these bags over there?
Over here they are commonly used for fertilizer or bulk handling of dry matter.
They hold about a ton of fertilizer, wood probably weighs a little less depending on species.
The top can be closed and the bag can fit on a pallet.
You could have three of these tied down and just untie one and dump it where desired?
Keeps the wood dry and in one place, you might charge a small deposit for the bag if necessary.

great idea folks, i never thought about removable dividers.

that sure bears some thought!!!

as for the bags, i looked at those. it seems to me you couldn't get a half cord into one. and even if you could, then you have to somehow get the bag unloaded once you are at the customers site.
unless i'm missing the plan????

Latest posts

Back