firewood is finished

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihly dan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Finally I'm finished with the wood for the year. It's all split, stacked, covered and looking pretty. Kindling bucket is full, extra pallets put away neatly. All the bark, sawdust, and chips all raked and burnt. Grass seed is down. No more looking at the messy piles, seeing how much work needs to be done. The problem with finishing so late is that I know it will only be 2 months before I start filling the area with wood to be processed over the winter into spring.(even though I'm years ahead) Until then, I'm going to enjoy the break from wood. Time to start the other projects that need to be done before winter. Tear down the brick chimney, finish siding the house, and install the new wood furnace.

Finally I'm finished with the wood for the year. It's all split, stacked, covered and looking pretty. Kindling bucket is full, extra pallets put away neatly. All the bark, sawdust, and chips all raked and burnt. Grass seed is down. No more looking at the messy piles, seeing how much work needs to be done. The problem with finishing so late is that I know it will only be 2 months before I start filling the area with wood to be processed over the winter into spring.(even though I'm years ahead) Until then, I'm going to enjoy the break from wood. Time to start the other projects that need to be done before winter. Tear down the brick chimney, finish siding the house, and install the new wood furnace.

You dare post something like that and no pictures to prove it! :msp_w00t:

Feels good, don't it?

I'm the same way

I also finally got the rest of my wood split and stacked this weekend too! I have probably 2 years worth on hand. I still have enough room for 2 more cords, and with all the logging in my hunting club, they left plenty of oaks and hickory! With all the hot weather, I will probably wait till this fall to get back in there and cut some more. I guess the mill couldn't handle the large size of some of those logs. The logging company cut all the but end of every log off! Left us piles and piles of short logs about 6'-8' long. All of them are really large, 30" and over in dia. It's hard to pass up easy to get to wood, especially when it's less then 3 miles from the house! I did see a winter forecast from accuweather that said we were gonna have a hard cold winter similar to back in the late 70's.

oak and hickory, I would make an exception, and work in the heat, at any temp. Snooze you lose. After last winter and the crazy summer, I too believe this winter will be a bad one. I WILL BE READY. unless something goes wrong, and then I'm screwed.

hey, good for you!

I ain't done yet...

...because I am shooting for five years ahead now! ha! That'll be about 25 cords, I am about half way there now I guess. Cut a buncha oak today, but didn't haul any back yet, just cutcutcutcutand more cut.

I also finally got the rest of my wood split and stacked this weekend too! I have probably 2 years worth on hand. I still have enough room for 2 more cords, and with all the logging in my hunting club, they left plenty of oaks and hickory! With all the hot weather, I will probably wait till this fall to get back in there and cut some more. I guess the mill couldn't handle the large size of some of those logs. The logging company cut all the but end of every log off! Left us piles and piles of short logs about 6'-8' long. All of them are really large, 30" and over in dia. It's hard to pass up easy to get to wood, especially when it's less then 3 miles from the house! I did see a winter forecast from accuweather that said we were gonna have a hard cold winter similar to back in the late 70's.

Go gettit! Dang that's like money laying around on the ground! Nice big fat ones, yowza! Cut to size now it'll still have some good heat to be drying.

hey, good for you!

I ain't done yet...

...because I am shooting for five years ahead now! ha! That'll be about 25 cords, I am about half way there now I guess. Cut a buncha oak today, but didn't haul any back yet, just cutcutcutcutand more cut.

Thanks Zog, It has been alot of work. I am 5-7 yrs ahead now, about 28 cord stacked. With last winters wood and what I have on hand it was about 14 mo to get there. Not bad for scrounging. Have some standing dead BL and ash to get in the fall 5-10 cord. How cold does it get down there? Seems like alot of wood. Doe's snow down there. I went thru there a few yrs ago in april. Thought I was going to boil alive when outside.

Last edited:
Go after it and get it processed! Firewood is money in the bank. If you get to sell any you might clear enough to buy a new chain or two!

I have swore after our horrid summer that I will never again gripe about the cold. Lot of tops on the ground from logging and cant do a thing about it. Boiled the gas in my saw once and vowed to never do that again, thought I toasted the ole girl. Lots of extra wood from our mild winter to boot.

Thanks Zog, It has been alot of work. I am 5-7 yrs ahead now, about 28 cord stacked. With last winters wood and what I have on hand it was about 14 mo to get there. Not bad for scrounging. Have some standing dead BL and ash to get in the fall 5-10 cord. How cold does it get down there? Seems like alot of wood. Doe's snow down there. I went thru there a few yrs ago in april. Thought I was going to boil alive when outside.

--it doesn't get cold like up north, but it gets cold enough you need some heat like from sometimes october until well into april. It adds up, I mean, Garden Goddess once she gets to stuffing that stove do NOT quit until hot weather, hahahah! She is not a cold weather person, she wants it hot so I oblige. And we got a few light snows a winter. Two winters ago got six inches on Christmas day, I put a few pics up on the picture forum thread, back then. That and a leaky cabin, ya, we go through some wood. We burn a lot of lesser species though, along witht the good oak, we burn tulip poplar, pine, sweetgum, soft maple, etc. I stack it all, it all burns. The oak I cut today is pasture edge stuff or cull trees close by. I am doing one layer deep around a pasture, pushing the woods back, taking all the frontline overhanging trees no matter what they are..

Ya, spring and fall are weird, it can be hot or cold, it isn't consistent. Like I said, snow on one Christmas, and I have picked tomatoes on other Christmas days, just depends...

We had a doozy blizzard/cold snap back in 93, I was burning a lot in a fireplace I had then. Primary was propane but needed juice to run the furnace, and no ellecy for near a week. Hauled water from a spring, toted in frozen rocks to keep the fridge and freezer part cold, and ran an extension from my van with dual batts to run a 12 VDC TV and stuff in the house (single wide actually). To me, it was great sport! I love getting snowed in!

1993 Storm of the Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also finally got the rest of my wood split and stacked this weekend too!

I wish mine were done. It's just been too blasted hot to go out and attack it. I did manage to make a small
dent today, chunking up some rounds. The Mrs. and I actually enjoy doing the firewood chores. I just wish
it were a little (actually a LOT) cooler.

Ah zog, I had forgot about the women folk. I had mine trained well when we where using big oil, T- stat was locked at 60. Now with the wood, a cozy 70 is nice, 72 and I'm told its to darn hot.

Guys, What Zuess is describing is very common around here. There is a gross amount of waste that will just rot at the set.

Did not want to see recent hurricane and fall snow-storm downers around here slowly turn to punk, last fall-winter.
Short story: many, many p/u loads later, driveway was Wood Mountain. New 50cc saws broken in nicely.

Finished the splitting (excellent maul), and stacking in new racks a month-and-change back. Enough for maybe 5 years. Stacked as 16-inchers, eventually for my stove that takes 8-inchers, and fireplaces.

Built one roofed & ventilated enclosure for piling in odds/ends/uglies as cut to fit stove with bandsaw, 4'Wx2.5'Dx6'H. Right outside door. About a ton of oak/maple/cherry getting really dry in there- around 10%MC already.

New 14" bandsaw is right indoors in utility room, ready to slice up loads of 16-inchers. Couldn't refuse great Grizzly price, and been slicing up some cherry firewood into veneer for kicks.

Life's good. Haven't been this ready for winter before. Ever. May everyone cruise through it. :msp_smile:

You left a few out?

oak and hickory, I would make an exception, and work in the heat, at any temp. Snooze you lose. After last winter and the crazy summer, I too believe this winter will be a bad one. I WILL BE READY. unless something goes wrong, and then I'm screwed.
You forgot ash, locust, mulberry, hard maple, hackberry, and black birch? How come? I think you forgot a few jewels. That's MHO. :dizzy:

You dare post something like that and no pictures to prove it! :msp_w00t:

Feels good, don't it?

Exactly what I was thinking!

We had a doozy blizzard/cold snap back in 93, I was burning a lot in a fireplace I had then. Primary was propane but needed juice to run the furnace, and no ellecy for near a week. Hauled water from a spring, toted in frozen rocks to keep the fridge and freezer part cold, and ran an extension from my van with dual batts to run a 12 VDC TV and stuff in the house (single wide actually). To me, it was great sport! I love getting snowed in!

1993 Storm of the Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was just a kid then but I remember it well. Our road at my parents farm was completely snowed in for 3 days. Not a single car. On the fourth day the county came through with v plows and banged out a rough one lane road through the snow. Later that day my father (who was the highway super at the time) arrived with a front end loader and scooped out the driveway enough to where my mother could at least get out to go to work. My sister and I were having a good old time playing in the snow, even went sledding from the barn roof (that's how high the snow was). Mom kept saying "you kids remember this, this is a once in a lifetime storm"......now I know.

I can't stay away from the woodpile--- Doesn't matter how HOT or HUMID..., Doesn't matter how many years ahead I am...

Going tomorrow morning to cut the last 15' of a 30" dia. butt log on a Chestnut Oak I've been working on.

I asked a friend of mine if he thought I had enough wood that I could stop cutting for a while...
His response... "It's your Psychosis, dude..."

I sold 1 cord of ugly red maple that I refused to stack. Other than that I would never sell my wood. Be like busten my arse for $1 an hour. Besides, after a break the wood fever comes back hard and heavy.

Latest posts

Back