Firewood theives getting to close

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Find some tin or scrap metal that makes a lot of noise and lay up against the piles so that they have to move it out of the way to access it. I keep all my wood behind a locked gate and have two dogs, so it is not a worry of mine...but if your stacks are close enough to your home that you can hear the 'clanging' of the metal, maybe that's better than nothing? This concept is used in Alaska to warn when bears get to drying fish used for dog sled teams... With that and good flood lighting, you should be set.

I had some scumbag-dirt buckets pinching me for wood. They weren't taking truckloads at a time but it was adding up.
I built a woodshed with a locking 8' sliding door which has put a stop to the thieves.
A buddy of mine has the motion detector light hooked up to a siren and strobe light in his barn. He suckered me with it by sending me out there and I nearly shat my pants. Very loud and bright.

Due to our bleeding heart liberals any thing you do proactive wise puts your tail in the ringer so a bunch of trail cams( well hidden) some high some low( low ones to try and pick plate numbers) are your best resource. The leo's around here won't do squat unless I can hand them a silver platter of info. Weather warming up now so the stealing cycle will be on the up swing. I the past I have set up bait stacks well covered by cams for these type of problems.

You also forgot to add more to your unoriginal generalization by omitting the other usual suspects-the EPA and Obama. Oh, and the IRS. Yup, git yer tin foil hat on and start shooting anything or anybody that gits close to yer wood pile, cuz them FEMA camps and the UN are out to git you.

Question for topic--do those trail cameras put out a quality picture? The problem I see is that there are lots of cameras out there, but what is shown on the news is usually a blurry, grainy, unrecognizable photo of somebody with a hoody or hat on, unless it was in a bank. Banks get better quality pictures.

The sheets of metal roofing do make a good amount of noise. That might work, but if it is a couple of people stealing, they could be careful and lift them off fairly quietly. I couldn't, but somebody else could.

Question for topic--do those trail cameras put out a quality picture? The problem I see is that there are lots of cameras out there, but what is shown on the news is usually a blurry, grainy, unrecognizable photo of somebody with a hoody or hat on, unless it was in a bank. Banks get better quality pictures.

Slowp, the trail cams used by hunters take amazingly clear pics, day or night if ya' buy one of the better ones.

You also forgot to add more to your unoriginal generalization by omitting the other usual suspects-the EPA and Obama. Oh, and the IRS. Yup, git yer tin foil hat on and start shooting anything or anybody that gits close to yer wood pile, cuz them FEMA camps and the UN are out to git you.

(""""""Question for topic--do those trail cameras put out a quality picture? The problem I see is that there are lots of cameras out there, but what is shown on the news is usually a blurry, grainy, unrecognizable photo of somebody with a hoody or hat on, unless it was in a bank. Banks get better quality pictures.""""")

The sheets of metal roofing do make a good amount of noise. That might work, but if it is a couple of people stealing, they could be careful and lift them off fairly quietly. I couldn't, but somebody else could.
!! camera's are like most of anything you buy! "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR"!! you can buy a Barbie saw for under 200.00 or you can buy a higher brand name saw for over 200.00 and get better quality ! it's all what you have to spend that dictates quality over value!

digital cams the more pixels the better, they all switch to b/w at night with IR so look at range factor for that portion. here at my shop I have one traditional cam that is day night but does not require IR for night viewing that one is mostly the one that puts the last nail in the coffin. A lot of the inexpensive systems have real cheap sensors in the cams that is why the picts are so awful. A good cam by itself is in the $200 range, as was said ya get what ya pay for. I have a couple game cam from Gander Mountain nothing fancy night range is about 50 ft They were on sale for $70 ea. I think the list was around $139. that was a couple years back. I can't cover everywhere with the the regular system.

Back in the 1950's when I was a paper boy there was one of my customers who had a self serve laundry and I mean the old style roller ringers too.

Anyhow he also sold watermelons and didn't trust anyone. He slept right in the middle of them at night. No kiddin'.

I don't believe I'd wanna deter firewood theft in that manner though -- too damned cold.
Nosmo

Interesting how you've managed to post pics to a heat pump thread, but are unable to post pics to your threads on your new husky and the big ash.

I call hooey. :popcorn: You're about to join a select few in the Iggy (ignore) list. Chow.

Not that I need to explain, but those pics where already on from another post. I said I would get the pics of the ash with the chainsaw in a few weeks as the log is now buried in a snow bank on the side of the road. Please put me on the iggy list. Then there wont be all the pics please ooh pics, got pics, need pics. Its like hearing a 4 yr old all over again.:givebeer::givebeer:

Not that I need to explain, but those pics where already on from another post. I said I would get the pics of the ash with the chainsaw in a few weeks as the log is now buried in a snow bank on the side of the road. Please put me on the iggy list. Then there wont be all the pics please ooh pics, got pics, need pics. Its like hearing a 4 yr old all over again.:givebeer::givebeer:
When people make claims about new saws, 99.9999999999% of the time they post pics of them, unless it's hooey. Good bye and good luck. Hooey.

Motion sensor floodlights are very effective, and quite the shock factor when blinding light suddenly floods the whole area.
Can really piss off the neighbors when a racoon or the neighbors cat takes a stroll down your driveway toward the woodpile.

I'm not really worried about mine even tho most of it is 10 ft away from the road. Have to jump over a snow bank down a slope and back. It would take forever. But Its a little unnerving knowing how close it is. These guys certainly seem to have some balls. Although I'm not quit buying the 7 cord that the guy is claiming. That just seems unlikely.

When people make claims about new saws, 99.9999999999% of the time they post pics of them, unless it's hooey. Good bye and good luck. Hooey.
it runs about the same for the hunting an fishing stories you hear on the site I post to! catching 5 pound walleyes one after another . ok lets see the proof of a few pictures hey ! "oh = I forgot the camera seven times in a row" !! lol or did I tell you about the big 11 point buck that my brother shot with his wifes 243. ..... oh boy let me tell you a good one ok! the other day ???????

it runs about the same for the hunting an fishing stories you hear on the site I post to! catching 5 pound walleyes one after another . ok lets see the proof of a few pictures hey ! "oh = I forgot the camera seven times in a row" !! lol or did I tell you about the big 11 point buck that my brother shot with his wifes 243. ..... oh boy let me tell you a good one ok! the other day ???????
LOL!! Exactly what I was thinking as well. Call me a skeptic, I'm OK with that. A little dose of critical thinking can be very effective. Speaking of Walleyes....check out the Great Outdoors forum under ice fishing.

Latest posts

Back