firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if anything has been mentioned about the Yanmar tractors, but an older used 4wd unit can be found with a front loader for between $6K and $9K. Sometimes they can be found on Tractorhouse.com, but often times it takes contacting an importer.

I built the cab for winter but have found out it's pretty handy in the bush for widow makers and wayward branches that keep trying to fall on me. Also means I can still get work done when it's raining out and handy when it's windy too.
My buddy has the same tractor you got, he had an issue once that it wouldn't start, turned out there was a bare wire on wiring to the safety switch under the seat. Took a few hours to figure out what was wrong. It would start but not move. He was heavy enough that it would ground out on him but not on his son, every time he got on the tractor he couldn't get it to move.

I'll build a cage for mine once I have storage tall enough to clear the ROPS hoop. In the meantime, I'm thinking about a sturdy canopy that can fold or slide when the hoop is down to park in the shipping container.

I should have a garage of some form by fall.

Have you considered siping them with a tire lug cutter (heated blade)?

I would've preferred the wide tread R1 fronts (I think they only come on 6 series from the factory), but having jammed wood between the rim and bead in under 2 hours of ever bringing a tractor to my property with r1 fronts - I'm liking the rim protection of the r4's at least in theory for now.

You could get another set of wheels/tires if you had work for the r1's that your r4's weren't performing satisfactorily. I'm talking used tires with life left.

I really only use it for tedding hay and running an auger. I hauled a load of manure with it while my other chore tractor was in the shop and was just surprised in the difference. I just don't think they really dig. But for what I use it for its fine.

My tires aren't loaded, they only have the weights (found that out today).

I'm down for the night in Mitchell, but will have the tractor home tomorrow. I decided to come back with more muscle and a heavier trailer rather than paying through the nose to get it shipped.

I have a valve, SS flush connectors, and cylinders for building a grapple and adding 3rd function to the loader, but I think plumbing it is going to be a spring project since I don't have heated shop space to get the machine in.

I also have a diverter for a hydraulic top link, but the cylinder is backordered.

Thanks!

30 cord of aspen wouldn't take long to move with her, that's for sure.

I also need to get some forks, and a tooth bar for the bucket.

Got her home this afternoon and don't have any arrival pics, but here's one before chaining her down for the 420 mile ride.

That is a nice looking outfit you got there! Looks to be a nice compromise of size too. Not to big, not to small.
Its funny, I never really wanted a loader tractor, but I gotta say, the older I get, the more I am wanting one..LOL
I'm 61 now.

I use a 1950 8n for my wood hauling, rounds or splits. It is unbelievably handy & nimble in the woods. I use a 1975 Ford 5000 diesel for pulling logs from the woods, when I do it that way. Made a 3pt. boom pole for it, works very well. Thats the tractor I would like to put a loader on, and remove the cab.

I use my 3pt. splitter on my 7700. Thats what I plow snow with also. 8 ft. blade. I could, and have got by using just one of the bigger tractors, but makes not having to switch implements around.

woodsept%20017_zpscy7bgjbx.jpg

woodsept%20020_zpssyrbntws.jpg

GTGwood%20016_zpsmd4iemlp.jpg

AshGTG%20017_zpsssgydarg.jpg

AshGTG%20001_zpslof6bvpb.jpg

Gregg,

Gregg,

The loader was a primary factor in acquiring a tractor for me. The ability to stack logs makes me able to harvest and store logs for future lumber milling without them rotting on my moist ground.

It also allows me to handle bigger boards, slabs, cants, and beams than I'd physically be able to without one.

An old truck chassis can be reworked into a functional gypo skidder, but adding a loader of equal capacity and strength isn't so easily achieved.

This is a case where buying a pre-packaged product is time and money better spent to me.

I'm looking forward to putting some hours on her!

Very interesting thread, I have been a member for a while and have never looked here. It is cool to see how the other half lives. I will start working on my tree length this spring maybe I can post a pic or two.

Gregg
I finally sold my 1950 8N about a year ago after enjoying it for 34 years. I now have a little Deere with loader and 4WD. I sure wish I would have found a way to do it sooner. An old dude like you could find unimaginable chores easily done with a loader.

Gregg
I finally sold my 1950 8N about a year ago after enjoying it for 34 years. I now have a little Deere with loader and 4WD. I sure wish I would have found a way to do it sooner. An old dude like you could find unimaginable chores easily done with a loader.

Heck, I could have used a front loader many a time when I was younger too! LOL I bought that 8n in 1998, with the plan on doing a full restore on it. Well, I started using it more and more all the time for various tasks. Then there was the problem of money, time, and the ambition to start such a project. :) I doubt I will ever get rid of it. Great small tractor for what I do with it.

Gregg,

Heck, I could have used a front loader many a time when I was younger too! LOL I bought that 8n in 1998, with the plan on doing a full restore on it. Well, I started using it more and more all the time for various tasks. Then there was the problem of money, time, and the ambition to start such a project. :) I doubt I will ever get rid of it. Great small tractor for what I do with it.

Gregg,

You're singing my song, never had "money, time, and the ambition" simultaneously. Seriously, a loader is a back saver for geezers like us.

Latest posts

Back