firewood tractors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, when you go to ship a tractor whatever is attached to it sure counts as weight.;)

Mr. HE:cool:

Funny, when you go to ship a tractor whatever is attached to it sure counts as weight.

Sorry I couldn't find the installed weight. Many sites don't list that. Do you have that information, it would be a great addition to the conversation??? I am sorry that I assumed people would understand that the shipping weight of the loader would be higher than the installed weight.

my little overgrown lawn mower doesn't know it isn't a bigger tractor. don't tell him or he might not work as hard...

F8D62337-227C-4D10-AEFC-70491F7A4EE4_zpsagvsyxod.jpg

E6C4E41E-AA0C-43B1-B473-67BD3781358E_zpsv3jovxge.jpg

B540CD93-3B75-47F3-94F2-480193959747_zpssxsz3mvu.jpg

837B6138-3B27-45A6-A293-59EF32E71378_zpsfx9bmd7i.jpg

Sorry I couldn't find the installed weight. Many sites don't list that. Do you have that information, it would be a great addition to the conversation??? I am sorry that I assumed people would understand that the shipping weight of the loader would be higher than the installed weight.

My point was that it is valid to give an operating weight of a tractor with attachments. If that stuff is mounted and you went to haul the tractor it would be part of the weight.

my little overgrown lawn mower doesn't know it isn't a bigger tractor. don't tell him or he might not work as hard...

F8D62337-227C-4D10-AEFC-70491F7A4EE4_zpsagvsyxod.jpg

E6C4E41E-AA0C-43B1-B473-67BD3781358E_zpsv3jovxge.jpg

B540CD93-3B75-47F3-94F2-480193959747_zpssxsz3mvu.jpg

837B6138-3B27-45A6-A293-59EF32E71378_zpsfx9bmd7i.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Tractors are a lot like chainsaws. Once you run a ms362 it's hard to go back to anything else! After running 50-150hp tractors for 5000 hours with syncroshift or power shift trans and closed center hydraulics it's hard to get on any compact tractor and say awesome.

Keep up the good work.

Tractors are a lot like chainsaws. Once you run a ms362 it's hard to go back to anything else! After running 50-150hp tractors for 5000 hours with sncroshift or power shift trans and closed center hydraulics it's hard to get on any compact tractor and say awesome.

I agree, my first real saw was a husky 365. bought it from my boss at the tree service back in 1998. Anything less than that seems like a toy to me.

I only have 1.5 acres, don't need a huge tractor, lawn mower, push mower, brush hog, sickle bar, bailer etc... so the little lawn assault toy works well for my needs. it would be nice to have a bigger tractor but I don't have a practical use for one... and chainsaws are a lot cheaper than tractors.... lol.

My point was that it is valid to give an operating weight of a tractor with attachments. If that stuff is mounted and you went to haul the tractor it would be part of the weight.

Ok, now I am following you a little better. And yes in that context total weight is important. Vast majority of tractor owners don't haul their tractors anywhere.

But in the context of an implement adding weight to the tractor for helping the tractor provide extra tractive force(drawbar pull) it does not. A box blades weight has no bearing on the drawbar pull or enhancing the performance of the tractor unless you are using it as a counter weight when lifting heavy objects. You can't pull a wagon or trailer with a box blade where it's weight would help nor even when using the box blade is it weight a help to the performance of the tractor. As soon as that weight is set on the ground it's weight is no longer on the tractors rear wheels therefore not helping. It would

The heavier a tractor is empty and where that weight is does increase a tractors perfomance. Older tractors were much heavier per hp and would plain out work a modern compact of the same hp in pulling. By the mid sixties many of the tractors still had the weight and had or exceeded the hydraulic performance of a current tractor.

Compare a current 50hp john deere to a 2030 or a 2440 (except cabs) and you will see that nearly every feature of the current jd is actually a step backwards. Only the 100hp+tractors get the good features.

Fluid in the tire is the best improvement that can be made as it lowers CG, increase tractive effort, acts as a counterweight, and yet doesn't add stress to the axles like 3 point counterweights or rotational stress like wheel weights.
Wheel weights are the next best option or suitcase weights for heavy drawbar pulling.

Any weight a tractor is carrying on its tires gives it better traction up to the tractive limit of the ground/tire combo. That is why all the big tractors have weights added, often several tons in fact.

Once a ground engaging implement has the weight resting on the ground then it no longer contributes to traction.

Dancan, Nice setup and trailer. How do you unload the logs? I always think I need to get a trailer, but my terrain is too steep for my little tractor. It is just as easy for me to skid the logs out.

Mike , most of what I've been hauling was loaded and off loaded by hand and not a lot of big stuff , mostly 12" and under .
I have a davit that I have to make a mount for it to set up on the trailer to help me load , the snatch block in the log bunks and the winch worked as well .
Was out today , I usually keep the tractor on the road and winch to it , then load the trailer and go home .

IMG_20150102_133144.jpg

IMG_20150102_154800.jpg

Easier to load and unload with two people :)

View attachment 348197

My boy was 4 when he started with me. Now 6, I pay him $5 every time we load or unload. This year, he saved up $120 all on his own! And he really did help out quite a bit on the smaller stuff.

I dont have a tractor, but I do have a little man to help. Here he is back in January, after we just bucked and split a weeks worth. I believe you gotta teach em young- he's 3.

Hope to have a tractor some day though.

Well I for one have a hitch on my weight box so yes it does give me more traction. My loaded log trailer is way heavier than my tractor so I need the weight on the tractor to get up hills. And I also need the tire chains to get that weight to grip the ground because of mud, snow ice and stupidity.

I managed to load my log trailer to 50% more than my atv with me on it, and then tried pulling it over soft ground. I have lovely ruts from trying to "winch through the soft spot." I did much better after dumping half the load.

Your wrong Jim, a cab in the woods makes you a better driver. There have been many times I was glad to have my cab on my tractor when crap fell down from above. My cab is homemade though and built pretty heavy. It's also beat to heck now but I'm learning to not worry about it. Broken rear lights, pulled wires and hydraulic hoses, bent steel, scratches and just downright trying to wreck equipment it seems. I installed heavy automotive glass when I built mine.
Oh and your tractor should be orange not green.

Our biggest orange dealer is a tool. They're also 2 hours away. Green is a good shop and 15 miles on pavement.

Jim, it just takes a little more horsepower to get through. This was on dec 29th. We had 375 hp on the front, 125 hp on the rear, highway wrecker at the top to pull it all up a backhoe to stop it from rolling over and a 165 ton crane to set it. $20,000 to get it set.
IMG_00002004.jpg IMG_00002025.jpg IMG_00002040.jpg IMG_00002047.jpg

Back