Firewood Truck Be Gone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I took a deposit on my firewood delivery truck today, I hadn't really planned on selling it but the price was right. I had been contemplating having just one truck and using a dump trailer instead of having all the associated costs of two vehicles. The truck I have left is a single rear wheel 3500 4x4 and my hope is to have a dump trailer that can haul a cord and a half and occasionally haul another half cord in the pickup. I want to keep the dump trailer to a cord and a half because my friend has a Toyota Tundra with a 10,000 lb tow capacity and he'll be using the dump trailer for firewood at times. I assume some people haul two cords in a dump trailer, but that might be a little heavy for these trucks.

I'd like a new one, but a real clean second hand one will do just fine. I like the idea of being able to leave the trailer right under the firewood processor conveyor and not have it holding up the truck from being used elsewhere.

Any opinions on what style and brand to get? I have very little to no experience with dump trailers.

I have a 2010 Tundra and I pull a 16ft trailer with 18" sides and it pulls just fine unless I really overload the trailer. I've also pulled just over 10K with it, my trailer and a mini excavator. It's a great truck so long as you don't need a 3/4 ton or 1 ton.

-Adrian

I took a deposit on my firewood delivery truck today, I hadn't really planned on selling it but the price was right. I had been contemplating having just one truck and using a dump trailer instead of having all the associated costs of two vehicles. The truck I have left is a single rear wheel 3500 4x4 and my hope is to have a dump trailer that can haul a cord and a half and occasionally haul another half cord in the pickup. I want to keep the dump trailer to a cord and a half because my friend has a Toyota Tundra with a 10,000 lb tow capacity and he'll be using the dump trailer for firewood at times. I assume some people haul two cords in a dump trailer, but that might be a little heavy for these trucks.

I'd like a new one, but a real clean second hand one will do just fine. I like the idea of being able to leave the trailer right under the firewood processor conveyor and not have it holding up the truck from being used elsewhere.

Any opinions on what style and brand to get? I have very little to no experience with dump trailers.

If your going to do it, remember 16' long 8' wide and 2' high is 2 cords. Myself I would get no shorter then a 16'

The weight of a trailer, and 1 1/2-2 cords of wood will be a pretty good jag as it is and I would suggest a goose neck hitch. A regular bumper style hitch will work but I want to see that Toyota handle that.

Your 3500 will handle it no problem. If your worried about your buddy, you better stick to no longer then a 12' bumper pull.

I have pulled my 18' bumper pull (non dump) with over 2 cords on it and the truck loaded as well. 10Ply tires are a must.

As to the style of trailer, I would go at least 12K rated 16' gooseneck deckover myeself. By going deckover, you can haul tractors or whatever in it as well.

If your stuck on your buddy using it your going to stick your self to a pretty small dump trailer.

I am not a fan of the Tundra but a neighbor pulls a 27'+5th wheel camper with his Tundra and other than putting 10 ply tires on it it has survived just fine. I doubt two cords would bother it one bit.

Dump trailers are very nice. No idea on where to start though for your search. I use a 5x10' trailer for our wood hauling needs and it sure beat the daylights out of using a truck. Kind of hard to knock out a rear window on a trailer. You do not have to worry about dents etc. If you like keeping the truck nice.

I am not a fan of the Tundra but a neighbor pulls a 27'+5th wheel camper with his Tundra and other than putting 10 ply tires on it it has survived just fine. I doubt two cords would bother it one bit.

Dump trailers are very nice. No idea on where to start though for your search. I use a 5x10' trailer for our wood hauling needs and it sure beat the daylights out of using a truck. Kind of hard to knock out a rear window on a trailer. You do not have to worry about dents etc. If you like keeping the truck nice.

Depends on the 5th wheel camper and a 27' is not all that big. Some 27' 5th wheels can be as light as around 5000 lbs.

A dump trailer and 1-2 cords of wood could be alot more then that.

My experience with truck/trailers it usually is much more important to be able to stop than it is to go!!!! 2 cord of hard wood is pretty darn heavy...I have an F 450 with a 14ft rack dump with 40"racks that the frame was stretched to haul two full cord of fit and split firewood....designed and ordered for this work....7.3 diesel 5 spd with a 5.13 rearend. Four wheel disc brakes...two cord on and you always use low to take off in, not second...I expect two real cord of green maple would punish any half ton truck I 've seen...pick a brand..1 ton and up for this work (if you want to keep the truck)...just MHO....

Well........maybe business is business and I need to get the trailer that suits my needs first and if my pal can use it, than so be it. When I talked to him today about going in on the trailer he acted like he forgot what he had said about that anyway.

Maybe the gooseneck is the way to go, I would love to have the capability to haul cars and small tractors or equipment. This could get out of control quickly though, I'm sure the want for a diesel truck will quickly follow the use of a large trailer with heavy loads!

Maybe the gooseneck is the way to go, I would love to have the capability to haul cars and small tractors or equipment. This could get out of control quickly though, I'm sure the want for a diesel truck will quickly follow the use of a large trailer with heavy loads!
Id love to have a dump goose neck trailer!

But of course a diesel will be in your future. If you do any kind of hauling, it is about worth it for the fuel mileage. Sure I can gross 16+K pounds on my 3/4 ton gas, but a diesel wouldnt need the gas tank I need to haul with me :)

Well........maybe business is business and I need to get the trailer that suits my needs first and if my pal can use it, than so be it. When I talked to him today about going in on the trailer he acted like he forgot what he had said about that anyway.

Your starting to make sense now. Robin hit some good points as well. Toyota or not, like Robin said, 1/2 ton trucks can't run with the big dogs and just need to stay on the porch when the real work begins.

Once you start getting over a full chord of wood thats where the real work is starting to begin.

Go gooseneck.

Your starting to make sense now. Robin hit some good points as well. Toyota or not, like Robin said, 1/2 ton trucks can't run with the big dogs and just need to stay on the porch when the real work begins.

Once you start getting over a full chord of wood thats where the real work is starting to begin.

Go gooseneck.

:agree2: Pull a bumper-hitch trailer with 2 chords of wood (with the truck of your choice) and then pull a similarly sized/loaded GN version,... You won't ever want to pull with a bumper-hitch again. Not with any 10K+/- load anyway. The only thing more secure is a fifth-wheel, but you lose the lateral articulation with that, that can often be necessary of-road, which a GN provides. On road you can't beat a 5th wheel hitch, off-road GN is always the way to go. just my $0.02 from towing myself, and being around plenty of ranchers, farmers and OTR drivers.
That said, don't let anyone try to talk you into something you're not ready for or can't afford,... (no shame in that either as I badly want a 25-30' triple axle PJ GN), but don't have the $$$ for it yet,...

I went with my BIL a couple years ago to pick up 2 cords of dry split hedge. He had a heavy duty Ford 3/4 ton 4wd and a bumper pull trailer. We put both cords in the trailer and headed home. We made it but it was a mistake. I was glad it was only ten miles. For that much wood I would vote for the gooseneck.

You must have a local trailer dealer.

I don't have any experience with dump trailers, but our local dealer has PJ dump trailers @

PJ 83”x12’ w/5200 lb. Axles, Ramps........ $5,500
PJ 83”x14’, 14K, Scissors Hoist, Ramps..... $6,200

I don't have any experience with dump trailers, but our local dealer has PJ dump trailers @

PJ 83”x12’ w/5200 lb. Axles, Ramps........ $5,500
PJ 83”x14’, 14K, Scissors Hoist, Ramps..... $6,200

This illustrates an interesting point, the 16' gooseneck dump trailer weighs over 6000 lbs empty. Add that and 9000 lbs for 2 cords of firewood and you are way over my trucks towing capacity. Maybe I sold the big truck prematurely..............

I just bought a 1999 Ford F150 RCLB 4x4 that belonged to a firewood company it has the 4.6 liter v8 auto and manual shift transfer case with a 139,000 miles for $900 , the price was to good to pass up it will be my brush beater , I have seen it parked all over town with a cord of wood in it nearly every time .
006-1-1.jpg

This illustrates an interesting point, the 16' gooseneck dump trailer weighs over 6000 lbs empty. Add that and 9000 lbs for 2 cords of firewood and you are way over my trucks towing capacity. Maybe I sold the big truck prematurely..............

You may want to check out Rochester Truck down here next to me.
largest Eager Beaver dealer in the world..
Man do they have a lot of trailers,and know thier stuff..used and new.

Latest posts

Back