First Chainsaw Help For Homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Remmy90

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently moved to a property that has some woods. I am in need of a chainsaw to help with property maintenance. I have been borrowing my dad's 16" Homelite 240. It gets the job done, but I think I need something in the 16" - 20" size and something a little more powerful to speed up cuts of larger trees. 90% of the trees cut will be under 24" diameter.

Usage will be around a dozen times per year. Homeowner use only. Will do more sitting that using, so I plan to use oil/fuel with stabilizer in it.

My budget is around $250. Used is OK with me.

Locally, there is a 16" Stihl 011 AV that appears to be in good condition. There is also a Efco MT3750 that appears to be in good condition. Am I on the right track looking at those models?

Welcome to AS @Remmy90 .You will get lot's of opinions here. I'll give you mine.The stihl is an older saw that is past it's prime unless you want to put a lot of work into it. Not much in the way of dealer support for the efco. $250 won't get you much in the way of a decent saw for what you may be cutting. I'm a sthil guy but my recommendation for you is to look at the Echo 490. A decent saw for the money. Find a dealer not the big box stores. They run around $350. If the saw will be sitting a lot try running the canned premix fuel. Like I said some others will be along shortly with their suggestions. Good luck. Beware of CAD.

I would personally look for a good used Stihl ms290 or husqvarna 450rancher. Or anything around there. You should be able to find a decent one in that price range but I don’t know your area very well.

I would not suggest the saws you mentioned, they are both to small for your intended needs.

To get the saw you want/need you might have to up your budget to around $350. Of course you can get the right used saw for less with some time. If you get a used saw expect to do some basic maintenance.

used Stihl Saws that should fit your needs
Stihl 026 $200-$250
Stihl 260. $250-$300
Stihl 290/291 are usually way over priced $250 or less
Stihl 390/391 $300+-
Stihl 360/361/362 $300-400

good luck and post picks when you get your saw!

Usage will be around a dozen times per year. Homeowner use only. Will do more sitting that using, so I plan to use oil/fuel with stabilizer in it.
NOT a good idea! Stabilizer does NOTHING for actually preserving fuel. It just keeps it from turning into varnish. It is false security for 2-strokes that depend on the volatiles in the fuel for primary cooling.

Attachments

• Care and Feeding OPE.pdf
    12 KB · Views: 13
I picked up a brand new echo cs490 for $250 on eBay just last week. Not I haven’t even gotten out of the box so I can’t report on its performance but I got it based on what everyone told here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolmar 5105 or 353/2152 husqered can all be had used for $250 or under and cut circles around a 490.

But you’ll get infected with CAD. Of course, you may already be. Symptoms show up in 2 weeks to 2 months and can recurr at any time. We’re here for you in the hard times to come.

For a 1 saw plan, 60cc range covers the bases best. Stihl 039, 034, 036 Husky 460, 357/359, 365s or xt, Dolmar/Makita 6xxx, etc. I would avoid Ebay unless you’re buying new or know the ropes. If you can’t find a saw locally, buying from a known member here is second best.

The 039 listed above is in Central Europe. Considering the current world situation, it might be a while before it lands on your door. Some of the other Euro members have mentioned shipping restrictions.

Thank you all for the replies so far. I have been researching the models mentioned in order to make the best decision.

I noticed Husqvarna has not been mentioned as often as Stihl. Is there a reason for that? Locally, a Husqvarna 350 and 440 E have recently come up for sale. Should these models be considered?

Thank you all for the replies so far. I have been researching the models mentioned in order to make the best decision.

I noticed Husqvarna has not been mentioned as often as Stihl. Is there a reason for that? Locally, a Husqvarna 350 and 440 E have recently come up for sale. Should these models be considered?
A 350 would be a fine choice. I wouldn't give more than $200 for one though. More power and better AV than the 026s and 260s mentioned.

350 is a great firewood saw, check for loose muffler bolts.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Alright guys, I have narrowed it down to 3 options:

1. Echo CS-490 18" for $315 brand new
2. Husqvarna 440 (e-series X-torq) 18" used for $175
3. Husqvarna 350 18" used for $225

You all know way more than I do about chainsaws. Help me spend my Trump Bucks. Which option do I go with?

Back