First chainsaw I used

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ky. between Dead Horse Holler and Yellowbank.
When I was a kid, my dad cut timber for a guy that owned a sawmill and I remember the big old Mall two man saw that he used to run. I was totally fascinated with that thing and remember how hard he worked to get it started a few times. Up till '57 or '58 we cut our wood with a crosscut and then dad came home with a shiny new yellow McCulloch Mac 35, man what a step up, we made the wood fly till we had to refill the tank, then crank our brains out to get it started again. The saw, or what's left of it is hanging in a shed full of junk and hanging around here and hearing one of them run on You Tube, makes me want to get one just for old time sake. I know there are a few around still, but have no idea what I could get one for, can anyone come up with who has one for sale and how much they run. The one we had had the smaller rubber plug cover, not the long metal one.
The gear drive chain looks slow as molasses compared to the new saws, but compared to the crosscut, it sure was lightning fast.

Nice story there milkman. "The gear drive chain looks slow as molasses compared to the new saws, but compared to the crosscut, it sure was lightning fast. " That sure is true.

Too bad that Mall isnt hangin in the shed.:)

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=111536
That is the one I just picked up. And them posted it up and Mark, Old Bow Saw, and Old Mac Guy were givin me a small history lesson.

I was outboard guy on a Mall/4' bar for a few minutes as my first experience. Working for a farmer who wanted to make some Tamarack fence posts. Fired up the saw, Layed into the horizontal notch cut and that big dead snag crumpled straight down. I split (think I was about 2 counties over by the time it hit the ground), he stayed long enough to try to pull the saw out-didn't get it. He split, When the uproar subsided the mall was laying there with an almost 90 bend in the bar putt, putting away.

A mall and a drag saw are two items I always wanted to get but was to cheap to pay for them.

Harry K

Cool thread idea.

My first saw experience was when I was about 11 or 12. This would have been 1990 or so. My dad let me try his Poulan Micro XXV. When I showed him I could handle it without doing anything scary or dangerous he let me try the Pro Mac 55. He still has both and they're in good shape. Dad takes care of them and they get sparing use, though he says he's getting too old for the Pro Mac 55. He's impressed with my newer saws and I've tried to talk him into a 260Pro or 346. Or better still, call me and let me handle it!

I learned to fell, limb, buck, block, and cuss with a Pro 10-10 and a SP60.....

Dad sold the Pro 10-10 and bought a SP70. I still have the SP60 and 70--they both run well--the SP 70 was seldom used.

M35's will go on ebay relatively cheap.

Casey

I was in my early twenties... a loooong time ago.
It was a Homelite if I recall.. I don't remember the model or size, it didn't mean much to me at that time. Just moved into a house, and alot of trees needed cuttin'..
The old Homie was pretty good! I do remember that I had to pump motor oil onto the chain manually with my thumb.

I'm young. First saw I used was my dad's 024 AV Woodboss.

Nice saw... he had that thing for a long time, probably 15-20 years, 4-5 cords/year, still ran great when he traded it in for his 260.

The first saw I ran was a McCullough 120,back in 1979. I was 16. My brothr and I bought the saw for my Dad to carry on his dozer (his main saw was a Pro Mac 850. I started using the Pro Mac a couple of years later-that spoiled me for anything less than a pro saw!
Will

for me it was a pro mac610 28" bar i run it for 5 hours then tried a bore cut and got 48 stitches across the left leg above the knee made me learn respect for the saw and any chainsaw for that matter:cheers:

Back