First day advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briant3113

Reaction score
Today i just got my job in the industry. I am 19 years old and have just a little experience but have done a lot of studying of trees and that kind of stuff. I know I don't know everything (or anything) but I was just hoping to get a little advice on what to do and not to do on my first day on the job. Anything will help, horror stories, good stories of your first day or the first day of one of your highers. Thanks. -Brian

I assume you will be working the ground. All I can say is PAY ATTENTION! It is dangerous work! If there is a climber in a tree, be aware what is going on. Stuff will be falling out of the sky. Heavy stuff! You should be tired at the end of the day. It is hard work. Work steady. Don't go full bore sprinting to the chipper carrying two 400 lb. logs on each shoulder. That will be impressive for the 3 minutes you can keep that up, but more impressive will be when you work at a steady pace and last all day and are productive. There is plenty of time to learn, so pay attention, listen to guys with more experience and don't get discouraged. You will soon love it as do the rest of us!

my best advise is to pay attention and do exactly as you are told. The climber or bucket operator will tell you what you need to do. Listen to them. Look up! I remember my first day. My neck was so sore from looking up all day to make sure I didn't get whacked. Check out this info for groundworkers.....http://www.#############/pdf/0505_handbook.pdf Pay attention, be safe, ask if you don't know something and work hard. Good Luck! Lots of oppurtunities to grow, learn and make money in this industry. Feel free to ask questions on here too lots of helpful and knowledgeable people.

Show up on time, wear boots and bring extra clothes, raingear, etc. Work hard, do not complain, look up, look up. Remember this, there is always something to do, keep your hands out of your pockets. Be polite, and did I mention work hard and do not complain? Good luck, it ain't rocket science, if you have a good positive attitude, you will do just fine.

i just started arborist stuff a few months ago and was pretty nervous my first day. my advice would be to be really aware of whats going on around you. keep your head up and stay out of the drop zone. make sure you don't get hurt, and don't hurt anybody else. don't cut any ropes and just work your ass off. if you're working for a good crew they'll tell you what to do. if you're not sure then ask. if they have a problem answering relevant questions, find a new company to work with. better to ask questions then stand around doing nothing until told or mess something up.

Listen to what these folks have to say. They are so very knowlegable. Go to your local bookstore and get a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion. Great book. Again listen to these guys they are so helpful trust me i know=)
Welcome to the site hope u enjoy it and good luck in the business

Show up on time, wear boots and bring extra clothes, raingear, etc. Work hard, do not complain, look up, look up. Remember this, there is always something to do, keep your hands out of your pockets. Be polite, and did I mention work hard and do not complain? Good luck, it ain't rocket science, if you have a good positive attitude, you will do just fine.

Nuff Said.

Remember this, there is always something to do,...have a good positive attitude,

yes as usual i agree with clearance and woodweasel.

Also, print out and read the attached. Give your new boss a copy. Also go to the link in my sig line and learn about tree care.

Most of all, observe the trees and learn from them as you touch them. They will teach you more about the work than any human.

Last edited:
Quit and get in college forget this back breaking debt gathering
work being sold off to illegal workforces. If you are a glutton for
punishment stay safe and learn all you can!

i agree with 100% of what clearance said. especially the showing up on time thing. i had to fire a guy today for being chronically and habitually late. also: bring a good lunch everyday. healthy food. drink a LOT of water. pee a lot. slow and steady wins the race. but learn to be fast. ask a lot of questions. of course pay attention. when you make a mistake, figure out why and don't do it again. stay focused. there is more...welcome to the horrendously beautiful world of tree care!

Wear a brain bucket...if you hear a saw running in the tree something is about to fall . Stuff can also fall when the saw is not running.
Also its easier to count your money if you have all your fingers... wear your gloves be alert.

Ask where the grease gun is, and what needs to be greased, show up 10 min. early every morning and grease equipment. there is always something to do, rake up!

Remember this, there is always something to do,....

real good point. when they're literally nothing else to do, you can always tighten up the gear. daisy chain speed straps, tidy things up, keep things organized, chipper bearings need to be greased every day, stuff like that. everything clearance said is dead on the money. drink plenty, eat lots of healthy foods.

Listen a lot, don't talk a lot. Ask questions when you're not sure. You'll have a lot to learn before you've earned the rights to be telling other people how to do stuff.

Wear all your PPE. It's there for a reason.

The rest has pretty much been said. Work hard, but efficient and smart. Eat and drink lots and well. Look up a lot. A saw running aloft is the universal sign for "heads up". And when it looks like there is nothing to do, then you're overlooking something. I like to tell new help to grab a rake if they are wondering what to do, there is always raking to be done. A hint; whenever possible rake towards the truck and downhill :greenchainsaw: .

Good luck and have fun!

:cheers:

Nearly everything has been covered already, so I will just say this. If you ask a Question(which is what any leader wants if you don't know something) then LISTEN to the answer. if you don't understand, aks for it to be clarified right then and there. I would rather have someone say "wait, I didn't quite get that" then just "yup" and then F something up. good luck in the biz.

Somebody said to me once "don't get into any situation your brain didn't get to 5 seconds earlier".

Good advice and has stuck with me since. Applies to most things. Good luck.

When you can afford it, I would advise getting your own chainsaw(s), and study about them. The subject is deeper than you might think. Having a tool that you can depend on and are interested in, makes the job easier, and can add to the enjoyment of the work. In the very least, if you use a saw all day, clean it so it is ready to go the next day without being full of crud. You can pick up a little side money working on saws as well. Most people, at least outside of the industry, don't take proper care of them.

Look up, look up, but don't forget to look down. Watch your footing.

Immerse yourself in tree care knowledge.

Eat right: meat, vegetables, and fresh fruit. Drink water and pure fruit juice. Don't get sucked into worthless power drinks/bars and fast food. Stay away from pop, it's hazardous waste. Take a vitamin supplements and GET YOUR REST. I don't care if you are 19, it's a good habit and it will pay off. You shouldn't have any trouble sleeping if you are really working. (Unless it's 4AM and your itching to get to work. How many jobs can you say that about??)

Get up early and eat a real breakfast.

Positive attitude. Check?

Good fuel for the mind and body will pay off.

I've heard all good things here so far..just adding my two cents. It's how this 34 year old works circles around young men 10-15 years younger. If you follow the recommendations just think how well you'll do at 19. Fatigue can be a dangerous enemy....it is nice to have plenty left at the end of the fourth quarter, especially if you have to head into overtime.

Always be prepared...for anything. Anything will come.

Good call joining this site, you are already ahead of the game.

Speaking of game....Always keep your head in it....leave the freaking cell phone in the cab!

This is a contact sport...wear your gear. Get a good folding hand saw. I recommend a Silky. Don't ask, you're likely to find out why. Handiest saw I have.

(Man, what I'd do to be 19 heading into all this.) :)

Good Luck, God Bless, and enjoy. Thou hast entered an honorable profession, that needs all the smart young Americans it can get.

Alright......I'm done, for now.:popcorn:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back