First experience with bad fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this explain why when you are driving down the road and come to a stop and the exhaust pipe from the car in front of you has water pouring out of it. Does that car have water in the gas - I've always wondered about that?

I thought the water coming out of tailpipes was from the action of the catalytic converter stripping oxygen off of the nitrogen oxides and then recombining the oxygen with hydrogen to produce water.

The so called "no-spill", no vent, EPA, CARB, Ralph Nader cans do NOT help. Resident RH and differential heating/cooling will develop moisture in your cans unless you have a very special place with a completely controlled environment to store your fuel.

I'm not a scientist, but have tested several methods with the crap, boutique fuel they sell here. The best cans for me have been old German surplus army gerry cans when I fill them as much as possible (less air space). The stupid plastic Blitz cans (even the CARB compliant) seem the worst. Store your gas through enough heating/cooling cycles and take note of the water in the bottom (even with fuel treatments like Stabil). I got a real shock last fall when I noticed 1-2ozs slug of water in the bottom of my favorite mix jug. The fuel was only a week or two old, but I had mixed into that same jug all summer. I think it accumulated over time as I never drop the very bottom slug of fuel into my saws and probably hadn't dumped it into my mower between fillings like I usually do. I have yet to harm one of my saws, but have been mixing smaller amounts and using it up more frequently. I also make sure I don't "mix over" anything left in the jug. It's a PITA always running low, but I guess that's the price I pay. I have also gotten more anal about running my equipment (not just saws) out of fuel when storing. I use too much for the fuel in a can and there is almost no source of good gas anyway around here.

Don't even get me started on how stupid the whole making fuel from your food source is. How less efficient it is so MORE fuel is burned into the environment to produce the same amount of work. Or how it burns much more energy and dollars to produce. But we're saving the planet......:dizzy:

I'm all for a new, better fuel source, but this crap is not it. :censored: It's not even a good stop gap IMHO.

Go to the local airport and get 100 ll fuel. It will store for years in a cold dark place.

It will store at least a year mixed with premium 2-stroke oil, in a metal can, out of heat and light.

Or you can buy "corn fed" stuff at ~ $500/saw.......want to save $1/gallon?

I had several saws that hadn't run since last fall. While getting ready for the GTG this weekend, I decided to go through and dump the fuel from all my saws that had sat for some time. Imagine the surprise when I saw with this fuel looked like! Two of them I fired up and they bellowed the thickest smoke you've ever seen. It wouldn't clear out either. The saw was covered with oily spooge. I believe both of these I started had 100LL AvGas in them too. One was a 07S and the other was a PM700. I dumped the fuel from them, put in fresh fuel, and problem gone. I've never seen anything like it. I actually couldn't even work in the garage for several minutes, even with a fan blowing. I actually thought I had an internal case gasket leaking bar lube into the case.

Looks like I'm going to have to become one of those stale fuel fanatics, lol.

I believe one of these is 100LL and the other 93 octane pump gas.

895373965_H4kMf-M.jpg

895373830_FCttr-M.jpg

This batch here is a couple weeks old.

895374014_viAU6-M.jpg

I don't think there is as much diffence between grades of gasoline as people want to believe. At least in current times. I'm no expert on the subject of fuels though, just going by experience. In my neck of the woods all fuel is delivered through a single pipeline to a bulk storage facility. Depending on timing, diligence and purging I gotta think there is some unintentional blending going on.

Klotz is good stuff, but that dumped mix looks harsh Brad. :censored: Last summer I was working on a cheap little Mac Eager Beaver, it smoked and spooged just like you describe. I also thought somehow bar oil was getting into the saw somehow because of the black spooge pouring out of the muffler. I had just opened the muffler, cleaned it and removed the inner baffle prior to the incident........wondered what the heck did I do wrong?:confused: I'm not 100% sure how old the fuel was, but know it wasn't ancient. 2smoke mix is definitely more affected than four-banger performance, well except my truck's mileage.

Back