First Post. Help with Stihl 028 AV Super

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BusyBeaver

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've had my 028 AV Super Wood Boss since 1988 and it has cut a lot of firewood. This week I had to replace the impulse line and while in there I raised some questions. Looking for help.
1)There is a nipple near the kill switch, lower left in the picture. Is something supposed to be connected here? Gas runs out when I tip the saw to the side.

2) I need to inspect the clutch and replace the sprocket, but the plastic gear it meshes with is in the way of removal. How do I remove this gear? It moves about 1/4 inch then stops, I haven't tried to force it. Is it fastened in somehow or just stuck?

3)There is a thin ss plate mounted with one screw behind the bar. This plate covers a few holes and oil leaks out. What is this for? Is there supposed to be a gasket behind this plate?
This picture shows what is underneath the plate.

Thanks in advance,
The Beave

Ok, the nipple near your kill switch is your tank vent. It should have a hose about 1.5" long on it that has some little grub screws in it. The allows the tank to vent without losing fuel. Readily available at your Stihl dealer.

The metal plate is to get bar oil into the oil hole in the bar. There doesn't need to be a gasket behind it. The bar holds it flat when installed.

The oiler gear (the plastic one in front of the clutch) comes out vertically. Be careful not to put a side load on it when you pull it out. You can rotate it back and forth while pulling up on it.

Fearofpavement is correct. I twist the oil gear and use a flat head screwdriver to pry up while rotating the gear. Should work is way off. Love the 028's. I have 3.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back